Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Just emailed Virgin Media about one of their drivers who I spotted on a mobile this morning. They phoned me back within ten minutes to assure me that my complaint would be dealt with. Would be very nice if RoadSafe did the same.......
whistling.gif

abo

Just emailed Virgin Media about one of their drivers who I spotted on a mobile this morning. They phoned me back within ten minutes to assure me that my complaint would be dealt with. Would be very nice if RoadSafe did the same.......
whistling.gif

I wonder how it will be delt with for real? If it were a random company I suspect there'll be a ticking off if that. But with VM being a phone company, maybe they'll expect their drivers to know better?

Years ago I worked for Orange (the phones not the bikes :tongue:) and was a company driver. When the law first came in we were strongly warned that in no uncertain terms if we were caught using a handheld phone we'd be subject to a discliplinery, due to the lovely publicity it would generate if the Sun, Daily Mail etc. got hold of it...

abo

Use of two way radios is permitted. The evidence shows that these are far less distracting than mobile phones.

Yes, this is how the police 'get around' the law with their Airwave system. Ok, not get around; the law specifically details which frequencies are subject to it. So walkie talkies are not subject to the specific mobile phone law but their use is covered of course by other laws e.g. driving without due care and attention.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...if this is the case how come hands free (a bit of a grey area) appears to be acceptable.
It stems from the (imo, erroneous) perception that driving is predominantly a physical activity.

Most studies (istr a single exception, sponsored by a manufacturer of handsfree kits, coincidentally) indicate that the reduction in hazard perception & reaction times is similar for hands free and hand held.

Although I believe you are correct that CB Radios are permitted, I do find it very strange, it does entail holding an object in the hand and not being able to steer correctly.

I'm not sure why the exception exists - I'd speculate that in the case of police radio, a case could be made for the vehicle occupants having recieved additional training and the radio use being focussed on the situation at hand (commentary on a pursuit &c) rather than events at home, what's for tea, or the mood of Chris Moyles. Keeping the drivers' mind "in the vehicle" as it were. Pure speculation, however, and it's quite possibly as unjustifiable as the exception in law that exists for handsfree mobile use.

Edit: Just noticed that regulator posted about the evidence re: these up above, sorry.

People in London can report mobile-phone-using drivers on the following form:

http://www.met.polic...roadsafelondon/

The form takes about 5 mins to fill in, and can be sent anonymously. It is also relevant for other gross traffic offences. I have sent in several forms and correspondence with the admin officers shows that they are very keen indeed to get details of "those who consider themselves above the law" in their words. There is even a drop-down choice for "cycling near-misses". We should support this effort to change the enforcement environment in favour of the general good.

If people are aware of other schemes around the country, perhaps they could also post details?

Admin, could we have a sticky?

Cheers

TI

Hi to you all out there. I myself am a car owner/driver as doubtless many cyclists are. I don't wish to be a " damp squid " on this one but it smells a little of Kettles & Black Pots. I have witnessed a considerable number of cyclist up & down the country using mobile phones whilst on bikes,they have been riding one handed or in some cases no hands at all. These have not been isolated occasions on a cycle pathway but on busy commuter routes with HGV's,buses,coaches etc.
All I can say about this, other than my input at present is, it is a bloody good job the cycles don't as yet carry ID plates like Road Race Cyclists do with their race number.
Wouldn't it be a real tragedy if a Brain Dead mobile phone using cyclist wearing a Head Cam was to record his/her own demise and it was used as a defence to show that they were a victim of their own misgivings.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hi to you all out there. I myself am a car owner/driver as doubtless many cyclists are. I don't wish to be a " damp squid " on this one but it smells a little of Kettles & Black Pots. I have witnessed a considerable number of cyclist up & down the country using mobile phones whilst on bikes,they have been riding one handed or in some cases no hands at all. These have not been isolated occasions on a cycle pathway but on busy commuter routes with HGV's,buses,coaches etc.
All I can say about this, other than my input at present is, it is a bloody good job the cycles don't as yet carry ID plates like Road Race Cyclists do with their race number.
Wouldn't it be a real tragedy if a Brain Dead mobile phone using cyclist wearing a Head Cam was to record his/her own demise and it was used as a defence to show that they were a victim of their own misgivings.

There is no specific offence relating to riding a bicycle and using a mobile, as much as I do not like it, it is not against the law.
I do not wish for anyone to have an accident, irrespective of the number of wheels or lack off.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I imagine that using a handheld mobile while riding would usually fall foul of some more general-purpose legislation along the lines of "not being in proper control of the vehicle". But as BRSU says, there's no specific law against it. Whether it is safe or sensible to ride while using a hands-free phone is another discussion, of course

There is no specific offence relating to riding a bicycle and using a mobile, as much as I do not like it, it is not against the law.
I do not wish for anyone to have an accident, irrespective of the number of wheels or lack off.

Hi BSRU. In principle your are correct,however the offence is not simply a matter of; " I've no sense", Me Lud. The real offence is that of, No common sense. The offence of riding a cycle whilst under the Affluence of Incahol is just as balmy. If a cyclist was struck by an intoxicated motorist there would be hell to pay,I wonder what the outcome would be if an intoxicated cyclist was to strike a car?.

I don't think very much of cyclists riding and using the phone, but they are considerably less dangerous to others than drivers on the phone.

Hi BentMikey. How do you figure that one out?. Whilst there is not the mobile lump of metal on the road there were in the many instances that I have witnessed a cyclist on the walkways with pedestrians,mothers with prams & buggies,toddlers all where they should be for their own safetey and some plonker cyclist where he/she shouldn't be, doing something that should not be practised both two counts.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You think the kind of cyclists that a. use cameras b. reports stuff to the police via that form are the kind that would be doing stupid things such as holding a phone to their ear or cycling on the pavement?

icon_lol.gif

You think the kind of cyclists that a. use cameras b. reports stuff to the police via that form are the kind that would be doing stupid things such as holding a phone to their ear or cycling on the pavement?

icon_lol.gif

Hi gaz. Yes I do,it would further endorse their moronic thinking and behaviour to actually incriminate themselves in their furry to report others.

Top Bottom