Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Hi Vikeonabike. Iam not quite sure whether the quoted content is for me or any of the others that have added a response.
Irrespective of that, your Cavalier attitude to hand held mobile phones being used whilst either driving or riding a bike is astonishing.
Wait and see what happens when you become a victim. If you already have been a victim that is even more astonishing.

Rooster, my old chum, I believe you have completley the wrong end of the stick, not your fault as the written word does not always allow the spirit of the message to come over.

I have lost count of the number of tickets I have issued for drivers using mobile phones. I was serious about people, if able, joining the police as a Speacial. It's a great "dare I say HOBBY" (Although it's more than that), that puts something back into the community. With cuts in policing, the more Speacials we can get on board the better. Being a Special and a cyclist means you could help educate the masses as to why they should not use a mobile whilst driving.

As a serving member of her majesties constabulary, who uses a bike as his normal mode of transport and commutes 31 miles a day, believe me Driving whilst using a mobile is NOT something I take lightly.

I appologise to yourself and anyone else who misunderstood my message.

Vike

Rooster, my old chum, I believe you have completley the wrong end of the stick, not your fault as the written word does not always allow the spirit of the message to come over.

I have lost count of the number of tickets I have issued for drivers using mobile phones. I was serious about people, if able, joining the police as a Speacial. It's a great "dare I say HOBBY" (Although it's more than that), that puts something back into the community. With cuts in policing, the more Speacials we can get on board the better. Being a Special and a cyclist means you could help educate the masses as to why they should not use a mobile whilst driving.

As a serving member of her majesties constabulary, who uses a bike as his normal mode of transport and commutes 31 miles a day, believe me Driving whilst using a mobile is NOT something I take lightly.

I appologise to yourself and anyone else who misunderstood my message.

Vike

Hi Vikeonabike. At 66yrs old on the 14th Sept 2011 & 4'10" tall would I still qualify !!??. Oh,by the way I have had Total Left Knee replacement & the right knee is progressively falling to bits.
When I was in my early 20's I wanted to join the Traffic Division in the cars but in those days the training included the Motorcycles.
I could not reach the Foot-Pegs never mind the road surface. I was consoled by being directed towards a Welsh Force,allegedly no height restrictions for the Regular PC. At this point there were no motorcycles that I could reach the floor on,not even the Triumph Tiger Cub.

Bicycle

Responding to the title of this thread:

I think that reporting mobile use while driving is totally wrong.

One ought to stop when it is safe to do so and then report mobile use.

(Excellent picture of P Mandleson in the press today, taking a call on his brompton. It's these unschooled yobs who give us all a bad name).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
On a side note, the two people i spoke to at the met had never heard of this page.

Same here. I informed a woman (a long time ago) that I would be reporting her and she could find her reg plate on Youtube. She said that if I did put it on "TubeTube" then she would be sueing me!

I did post it up and nothing happened.

jds_1981

Any idea on how long it normally takes for a reply on bad driving?

Reported this on roadsafe

View: http://vimeo.com/29015611
. One of those videos where it is worse than it looks. Pretty certain he was on the phone too else I wouldn't have bothered to report, no reply from the police even though it's been over a week.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Have you ha the standard response?
They generally won't reply any dieter after that, i've asked them several times if they could keep us up to date on how this progress with each report but it goes unheard.

gary in derby

Don't suppose there is something like this for derbyshire ?

I don't drive often these days, but when I do I am increasingly horrified. A day on the motorway yesterday revealed:

Norbert Dentressangle artic repeatedly veering onto the hard shoulder - driver apparently texting

4x4 enters from slip road, crosses to fast lane through fast moving traffic and proceeds to tailgate vehicle in front, all while using a hand held phone.

Saab coupe doing 45/50 in slow lane - fair enough, but on overtaking discover driver is leaning comfily against side window while deep in an apparently fascinating phone call on his hand held.

It's an epidemic out there. It's as if people have had their imaginations surgically removed. OK, I don't cycle on the motorway, but I see little difference on ordinary roads. I feel this has got out of control and needs a major public safety campaign.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
RP if I'm horrified by what I see on motorways [eg the Saab coupe driver lost in concentration] I've drawn alongside [if it's safe... I certainly wouldn't slow down for no apparent reason in the middle lane!!!]and blip my horn so they look up because even with a car alongside they've not been aware I'm there and immediately drop the phone thinking I'm the police. If it gives them a shock then they might [just might mind] appreciate what they were doing and be more alert and concentrate more.

RP if I'm horrified by what I see on motorways [eg the Saab coupe driver lost in concentration] I've drawn alongside [if it's safe... I certainly wouldn't slow down for no apparent reason in the middle lane!!!]and blip my horn so they look up because even with a car alongside they've not been aware I'm there and immediately drop the phone thinking I'm the police. If it gives them a shock then they might [just might mind] appreciate what they were doing and be more alert and concentrate more.

Yeah, Archie, I thought of that, but both in car and on bike, I'm inclined to just get clear of the nutters, and concentrate on my own safety. A moments distraction can be fatal in any traffic situation. And I guess the thought behind my point was that this has got beyond individual protests and interventions, and needs a public campaign.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
An advert like the Australian drink/driving Christmas campaign would be a shock to their system... but then again causing death while using a mobile phone attracts a minimum 2 year prison sentence but it still doesn't act as a deterrant, so make using a phone while driving an instant ban or even a car crushing offence and publicise the first ones caught,... that would soon sharpen their awareness...

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Christ, I'd be filling out the form 24/7 if I reported all the motors with faulty tail lights, brake lights, head lights etc. I see in SE London on my daily commute. I must spot at least two dozen a day. Still, it's a good idea to shop these tw@ts that are on their mobiles/drinking coffee/driving erratically, although the logistics of taking their details down could be problematic to the commuter with the hammer down. What I tend to do is point out the error of their ways if I happen to pull up beside them at the traffic lights.

yello

Interestingly, the French have just introduced a fine of €1500 and 3 points for driving whilst.... wait for it.... watching a film! ^_^

Surely there's some generic law that'd do the trick. Do people really need to be told that it's dangerous to drive whilst doing a jigsaw puzzle? (No need to answer that btw)

The fine for driving whilst on a mobile has also been raised to €1500 and 3 points.

Top Bottom