Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
You still need traffic police patrolling the streets to catch them, if there is no fear of being caught the punishment is irrelevant to many of drivers.

You still need traffic police patrolling the streets to catch them, if there is no fear of being caught the punishment is irrelevant to many of drivers.

+1

5cl

It narks me when boy racers get carried away and tint their driver's window - it must be like driving with sunglasses on 24/7. What's more you can't tell whether they have seen you if they're waiting to pull out of a junction. If you report this, it is easily verifiable by the police.

I could use this form to report the police motorcyclists who think it's OK to ride in the cycle lane on the CS7. I have seen this a few times in the last 3 months, and it seems to be spreading the message to civvie motorbikers that it's a legitimate thing to do.

yello

It narks me when boy racers get carried away and tint their driver's window - it must be like driving with sunglasses on 24/7. What's more you can't tell whether they have seen you if they're waiting to pull out of a junction.

I've stopped exactly because of that. I had no idea where the driver was looking, whether they'd seen me or not so I took no chances and stopped and waited for them to pull out. Ok, so I was also deliberately making the point, hoping the driver would realise why I'd stopped (I'm the eternal optimist!) but it's the same argument from a different perspective.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've stopped exactly because of that. I had no idea where the driver was looking, whether they'd seen me or not so I took no chances and stopped and waited for them to pull out...
+ impossible for them to see much on gloomy overcast days or at night.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've stopped exactly because of that. I had no idea where the driver was looking, whether they'd seen me or not so I took no chances and stopped and waited for them to pull out. Ok, so I was also deliberately making the point, hoping the driver would realise why I'd stopped (I'm the eternal optimist!) but it's the same argument from a different perspective.

People aren't psychic - they can't read your mind and will almost certainly have no idea that you're being anything other than polite. If you want a motorist to know something, then tell them concisely and politely. Better still, tell them via YouTube and a Roadsafe letter if it's serious enough, so avoiding talking to the driver yourself and thus a potential road raging incident.

I also never bother to guess whether a driver has looked or not - seeing their eyes means nothing to me and doesn't prove whether they will or will not pull out.

yello

As I said, I'm the eternal optimist. ;) I didn't really think the driver would realise why or, more to the point, care why I'd stopped!

Eye contact doesn't prove anything, true, but it's a start.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Well there I was wandering through my local town dressed in my non work clothes, when I see Mr Subaru man driving towards me. On his mobile would you believe! Well he stops, because of traffic right next to me. Well I had too didn't I. I got my "I can tell you what do" card out of my pocket and knocks on the window. "Could you put your phone down please Sir!" I said in a polite but authorititve tone. He in turn replies in a not so polite tone of Voice "Why don't you bugger off and mind your own business". Well I bet he wouldn't say that off someone was stealing his car! Off he drives and I wander into my local House of cut backs and being stabbed in the back by Theresa May (you may know this as a Police Station) and reported said incident. Suggesting a notice of intended prosecution. Anyway my local forces Central Ticket Office has said because an officer from another force has reported it, he has to do the NIP, put the file together interview him and then pass it on to them. Now if on interview he accepts that he was using his mobile I could just give him a ticket couldn't I? No, I can't give him a ticket from my force it has to be from the one where I work it has to be from the force it occured in. But I don't have one of those tickets, so I still have to take him to court which is going to cost a lot more than it would do just issuing a ticket.
Good Job I 'm only in the county next door really. If I was in the Met would I still have to do all the donkey work...
Points to note
1. No wonder Joe public has a problem reporting things.
2. We are wasting a lot of time and money that we shouldn't
3. Theresa May is a Bitch! (Nothing to do with this post btw)

yello

Theresa May is a Bitch! (Nothing to do with this post btw)

Cheers, Voab, you've just made me chuckle! :thumbsup:

andy_spacey

Über Member
I am going to put my views out there. I am a full time cycles. I give up driving over 3 years ago so do a lot of miles in all weathers. So this is a every day problem and so many near misses for me

Driving when using a phone is no diffident than diving under drink or drugs.
Would peolpe get into the car with a driver has had a drink?
Would they drive there family/ kids around when drunk?

The law dose nothing to help and people dont give a F*&&K about it. Just look at how meny people break the law every day by using there phone when driving.

I bet the number of people killed, or RTA's have gone up since the mobile phone.

I feel that the police should hand over catching of people driving when using there phone over to private companies. The companies would film the drivers and car reg in HD then this would help the "is was not me using the car" The phone records would be also used to back up the offence

Up the fine to a £1000 and 6 points for the first time and second time a 12 mouth band and the car being crushed.

Because the private companies get paid from out of the fine, "Yes a bit like piece work " and
yes They would pop up every where filming.

The filming could also be done covert. No big yellow vans like speeding cameras, where people just slow down. In this case just put there phone down till they go past.

Or put covert cameras up on lamppost every where.

If the chance of being court was increased by 10,000 times this would stop a lot of people and save a lot of life.

But the fact is . nothing is going to change and more people are going to get injured or even die and a lot of people are going to break the law and get away with it.

Top Bottom