Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A fascinating response! If I was you I would take him up on the offer. I would be really interesting to find out what they constitute as poor riding etc.

If you were willing you could post the sections that he has discussed and we could debate them here. It would be an interesting and valuable learning excercise for us all (if you are willing!).:evil:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That is a top response. Deffo take him up on his offer.

If he's a motorcycle cop but doesn't ride the non-motorised kind, it would also be interesting to take him out on a ride so that he could fully appreciate the differences.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
He is probably mistaking the camera view for your view and forgetting that, although you move your head, which can be seen on video, you also move your eyes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah do it Gaz!! His time and experience has got to be worth a mint. Make sure you take notes! I'd be tempted offer him a meal at a restaurant.

gaz said:
The Response i got
I don't agree with him on my planning, i always look ahead and take my time when it comes to traffic and roads and i never rush through. I also give way where i can to avoid an incident.

I've yet to respond but am tempted to take him up on his offer.

I wouldn't take offense with what he says....he seems to know what he is talking about as opposed to this website where cyclists even unexperienced ones seem to take offense if you aren't riding primary every second of the day.

I think I would like to hear what he has to say and im sure there are weaknesses in my riding...it has been pointed out on here about a million times.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
hackbike 666 said:
I wouldn't take offense with what he says....he seems to know what he is talking about as opposed to this website where cyclists even unexperienced ones seem to take offense if you aren't riding primary every second of the day.

I think I would like to hear what he has to say and im sure there are weaknesses in my riding...it has been pointed out on here about a million times.

Thats one reason why i got a camera, to learn how to ride better. Defiantly taking him up on it, just need to organise a date i can sneak away from the office. Don't worry i will report back.

gaz said:
Thats one reason why i got a camera, to learn how to ride better. Defiantly taking him up on it, just need to organise a date i can sneak away from the office. Don't worry i will report back.

Yeah sounds great...this is interesting.:biggrin:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
BentMikey said:
Don't be too defiant, the police will attitude adjust you! :biggrin:

Yes.....I carry attitude adjustment tools (mk1 extendible and mk2 multi target) on my belt kit all the time for adjusting the attitudes of the defiant!:biggrin:

Jaguar

mr_cellophane said:
He had a camera installed in his van and he still drove badly, what a complete arse !
Just goes to show how confident he was at not getting caught, or perhaps he thought he was justified in his behaviour. I've discussed the incident on another (not cycling) forum and was shot down in flames for it: the general driving public honestly does think that cyclists get what they deserve, ie abuse

mr_cellophane said:
I passed 3 out of 7 drivers on the phone within 200 yards today. I was driving as well so no chance of me getting the reg of any of them.
I used to get alongside them and flash my camera (not actually take a photo, just fire off the flash) at offenders (hubby driving, me passenger). Their reactions are usually quite amusing.
I've done it on ASBO kids too, terrorising my old mum: gone out with my camera, calm as anything, just said "smile" and fired the flash. They scarpered PDQ and didn't bother her again. Much more effective than shouting & swearing

Crankarm

Guru
Just come back from marshalling a road race. I stopped to allow an oncoming car to pass as road was obstructed by parked cars. As the car approached saw it was one of those big Audi Estate cars and the driver was a stupid fat peroxide blond b***h yaking away on her mobile phone :biggrin:!!!!!! She didn't even slow or make any acknowledgement toward me, so blew the car horn so it will be on the phone record if she causes an accident elsewhere.

Then ......... about 30 seconds down the road coming toward me another huge vehicle this time a Ford C Max people carrier starts to drift onto my side of the road. I again have to sound the horn to avoid a head on collision. The driver a stupid fat brunette b***h only has her mobile phone glued to her ear :angry:!!!!!!!

What is it with stupid fat women in people carriers who feel the need to use their mobile phones whilst driving? Do they think their vehicle won't start or run with out them talking on their mobile phones??!! :angry:

The road race was great. Ours must have been the cleanest stretch of road in Cambridgeshire. Of course a plod car had to pass by against race direction, plus a seriously big feck off tractor being driven at speed, a couple of large horses with very sturdy female riders on board, several groups of club riders riding against the race direction (Muppets or what. We told them a road race was going on, but they ignored us). A few dogs out for walks with militant 4x4 driving owners. Not the sort of obstacles you would really want to confront right in front of you riding at 30mph in a large group.

Anyway rant over. Stand easy.

manualtypist

Ok not sure where to put this...but as it's mobile phone related I'll put it here.

Yesterday when cycling around Russell Square in London, I was literally left with my jaw dropping to the floor.
Policeman behind the wheel of a police van...driving...and low and behold...holing a mobile phone to his ear and chatting away!

Have I missed something here? Are police exempt from the law?
And yes I am totally sure it was a mobile phone and not the walki-talki thing.

I didn't get a number plate though. :smile:

manualtypist

If you're responding to an emergency then you are exempt. Doesn't sound like your scuffer was though.

Nope, he certainly didn't seem to be in any sort of a hurry...just casually cruising around with one hand on the steering wheel...:biggrin:

Top Bottom