1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reporting mobile use while driving

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Twenty Inch, 4 Mar 2010.

1. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

There's no online option up here. If it's a bad enough incident I'll burn footage to DVD and hand it in, along with a covering statement, to my local police station. I also keep a copy on my iPod so I can show them at the time, rather than them having to wait until they check the DVD.

2. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

nfinite-the-universe-and-human-stupidity-and-i-m-not-sure-about-the-former-albert-einstein-56412.jpg

Seen mobile use quite a bit recently from cyclists/motorists/pedestrians.Obviously people put personal and other peoples safety right down the pan.

3. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

Are you suggesting pedestrians shouldn't use mobile phones?

4. 50K

50K New Member

one experience I had with a hampstead bored housewife in a landrover explorer (5 mins late taking kids to school) was a cut up at a bollard pinch point, luckily I managed to catch her in bumper to bumper traffic halfway up the hampstead hill, knocked on her window and she almost shat her pants (as she was facebooking at the time and must have thought I was a cop). So I told her where she was wrong, her repy was ''Well, I'm in the car, you are on the bike - You Be Careful!'' and shot off once the traffic had moved on ... Thats the attitude of some of these B**ches. Damn I wish I had that recorded ...

5. Drago

Drago Guru

Not when crossing the road etc.

Andrewwright and Lonestar like this.
  6. Bimble

Bimble Bimbling along ... Staff Member

I expect you mean "people" since it's women and men who do it. ;)

7. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

When safety and braincells are lacking,yes.

Drago likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Guru

From what I've seen the new 6 points penalty doesn't seem to be deterring people. Sooner its a banning offence on a par with drink driving, the better.

9. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

No I'm not really convinced either.

Drago likes this.
  10. CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

No deterrent will work while it's socially acceptable, I can walk past a whole line of traffic of say, 20 cars on any given day and I'll see probably 3 to 4 drivers typing on phones. It takes a whole mindset and generational change, like drink driving did. At the moment, it's just seen by many as possibly a bit naughty, but something that everyone does.

Lonestar, NickNick and Drago like this.
  11. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

IMO no deterrent will work - if you're never going to get caught. Part of the problem is people know they are unlikely to get caught.

12. raphael4

raphael4 New Member

What's the best value helmet camera? I want one of those tube shaped ones to make it look more inconspicuous, not the big boxy Go Pro style ones.
    Sharp night vision is particularly important in these winter months.

13. MartyBenji

MartyBenji Member

When walking along a 1/2 mile stretch of main road to my allotment I can guarantee seeing at least two drivers using their phones, even a bus driver once. There is very little chance of them getting caught until an accident happens.

Drago likes this.
  14. ryanme

ryanme Member

The new Go Pro is tiny ... still a box though I admit, and I do not think the night vision is amazing.

My GF used a Roadhawk Ride when living in London in a previous life, nothing bad to say about it!

15. Drago

Drago Guru

Bus drivers on mobiles get well and truly dobbed in.

The scary thing is that half these people aren't simply talking on the phone, bit they're gazing down at it reading Twitbook or What space, and to be driving without looking is truly terrifying.

Banjo likes this.