Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raphael4

What's the best value helmet camera? I want one of those tube shaped ones to make it look more inconspicuous, not the big boxy Go Pro style ones.
Sharp night vision is particularly important in these winter months.

MartyBenji

Regular
IMO no deterrent will work - if you're never going to get caught. Part of the problem is people know they are unlikely to get caught.

When walking along a 1/2 mile stretch of main road to my allotment I can guarantee seeing at least two drivers using their phones, even a bus driver once. There is very little chance of them getting caught until an accident happens.

ryanme

What's the best value helmet camera? I want one of those tube shaped ones to make it look more inconspicuous, not the big boxy Go Pro style ones.
Sharp night vision is particularly important in these winter months.

The new Go Pro is tiny ... still a box though I admit, and I do not think the night vision is amazing.

My GF used a Roadhawk Ride when living in London in a previous life, nothing bad to say about it!

Drago

Legendary Member
When walking along a 1/2 mile stretch of main road to my allotment I can guarantee seeing at least two drivers using their phones, even a bus driver once. There is very little chance of them getting caught until an accident happens.

Bus drivers on mobiles get well and truly dobbed in.

The scary thing is that half these people aren't simply talking on the phone, bit they're gazing down at it reading Twitbook or What space, and to be driving without looking is truly terrifying.

Tizme

Veteran
Walking my dog the other afternoon I saw a woman pull out of her drive, youngster in the front seat next to her, another on the back seat, as she held her mobile up to her face talking, why couldn't she just have her conversation before she drove off - probably because she knew she had a 99.9% chance of not seeing a policeman at any time during her journey. In my last 2 years of regular cycle commuting (admittedly on "earlies" it would be around 5:30 am) I saw no more than half a dozen Police vehicles (and one of those managed to close pass me on an A road with a 50mph limit!).
I was really gutted when my headcam failed to pick out clearly the bus driver looking down at his mobile (clearly texting) as he approached a staggered cross-roads and about to turn right across the traffic:headshake:

Lonestar

Veteran
Twice this week. I have had to shout at cyclists riding along the cycle path towards me to stop them riding into me. Texting whilst riding. Both times riding with no hands on the handlebars.

Its not just car drivers you need to look out for.

Yeah get that on the CS 3 all the time.The most classic one was an idiot Boris Biker using her phone coming the opposite way by the mosque place with a BMW driver mixed up in it doing a right turn and the cyclist in front of me having to brake with me having three things to concentrate on.She will never know how near she was to causing an accident.Too bloody ignorant and selfish.

simongt

Guru
The worst thing about all this is that the perpetrators don't believe that they're doing anything wrong because that 'phone call / text is SO IMPORTANT it just can't wait.
It won't be until they cause a serious injury / death as a direct result of their action that they even then, MIGHT consider that what they did was open to criticism.

Sad, but true I'm afraid - !

Lonestar

Veteran
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44584261

I know people are pretty thick sometimes but this is just plain ignorant if it was true.I find mobile phones so unsociable at work and generally it's the same people blabbing on them all day,Still not all my work colleagues are like this.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
.I find mobile phones so unsociable at work
Indeed. I find it so peculiar that where I work, at every break, there's a mad rush to folk's lockers so they can retrieve their cellphones just in case they MIGHT have missed something of world changing importance - ! :hyper:
Mine - ? Goes in my locker at the start of shift and that's where it stays 'til I knock off - ! :thumbsup: :rofl:

Lonestar

Veteran
People seem to have devolved a rather sad, psychological dependency on smart phones. Facetwotspace doesn't help either, the saddos compelled to check every 3 seconds in case they missed a photo of someone's lunch.

It does seem like that.

Indeed. I find it so peculiar that where I work, at every break, there's a mad rush to folk's lockers so they can retrieve their cellphones just in case they MIGHT have missed something of world changing importance - ! :hyper:
Mine - ? Goes in my locker at the start of shift and that's where it stays 'til I knock off - ! :thumbsup: :rofl:

I never carry it unless im out all day.In other words local trips like the shops...etc...Also at work I rarely use it.

Yesterday I was cycling up Carnarvon Road Stratford (I was the victim of two deliberate dangerous passes in two weeks down this road,recently)where a halfwit in a Ford Mondeo with big headphones on was bugging me so I let him pass (I generally do because I don't trust those f-wits). As he passed I could see he was staring at a mobile phone screen in his right hand while he was driving.FFS!

2ex2ckg.gif

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I put this in the Tales from Today's Commute but it might be better put here. I caught a BMW driver cruising slowly uphill in slow traffic, with his window down. As I overtook I saw he was using a handheld mobile but the dialling-out tone seemed to be coming from his car speakers. The camera was on my helmet so the film of this is crystal clear. I have uploaded it to Avon & Somerset's dashcam page and the driver is to receive a notice of intended prosecution. I don't know if it will be 3 points or 6, clearly it should be the latter.

Tizme

Veteran
I put this in the Tales from Today's Commute but it might be better put here. I caught a BMW driver cruising slowly uphill in slow traffic, with his window down. As I overtook I saw he was using a handheld mobile but the dialling-out tone seemed to be coming from his car speakers. The camera was on my helmet so the film of this is crystal clear. I have uploaded it to Avon & Somerset's dashcam page and the driver is to receive a notice of intended prosecution. I don't know if it will be 3 points or 6, clearly it should be the latter.

Good for you, cycling home from work one evening having just negotiated a staggered crossroads I noticed a bus turning into the road I had just exited with the driver looking down at, at first glance, his right ankle, it was only as I went passed I realised he was actually texting! I was disappointed when I checked the video from my headcam that it had failed to pick it up or it would have been sent straight to the bus company.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Good for you, cycling home from work one evening having just negotiated a staggered crossroads I noticed a bus turning into the road I had just exited with the driver looking down at, at first glance, his right ankle, it was only as I went passed I realised he was actually texting! I was disappointed when I checked the video from my headcam that it had failed to pick it up or it would have been sent straight to the bus company.

Pleased to report that I have had two local phone abusers receiving notices of intended prosecution including the chap above. The second was driving a large SUV in slow-moving traffic & drifting towards the kerb where cyclists were filtering on the left. Having the camera on the helmet seems to do a reasonable job of catching this sort of thing and Avon & Somerset police seem to be happy to use the footage.

Top Bottom