Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I didn't know where to put this so sorry if wrong place. This week whilst commuting (motorbike not bicycle) I was sat behind an idiot at some lights who was in full blown conversation on his mobile. The lights changed and he continued to talk on the phone for about 2 minutes.

Then yesterday another idiot was pulling out of a car park, phone to his ear, didn't even look and pulled out straight in front of me. Luckily I saw it coming and stopped. I leaned on the horn, waited for him to look up and my a phone gesture with my hand and shouted get off your effing phone. To my surprise he mouthed "yeah I know" and continued his conversation.

It's still worrying that even with the threat of points and a fine, people still use mobiles when driving, and don't even seem to care. We know they don't care about other people's safety, but you would think at the very least they would be afraid to get caught.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's still worrying that even with the threat of points and a fine, people still use mobiles when driving, and don't even seem to care. We know they don't care about other people's safety, but you would think at the very least they would be afraid to get caught.
But whose going to catch them? I regularly drive home & never see a Police vehicle for a full week, other than the odd occasional with blues & two's on

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
But whose going to catch them? I regularly drive home & never see a Police vehicle for a full week, other than the odd occasional with blues & two's on
I see quite a few, but you're right, there can't be many people being caught otherwise it wouldn't be such a widespread problem. I suppose even an instant ban would not deter some people if they think they're never going to get caught

Freds Dad

Veteran
People don't seem to realise how dangerous it is to use a mobile whilst driving. I see at 5 a day while out and about. The favourite way now seems to be having the phone in their lap so they can text while stopped at traffic lights. Its when the traffic in front of them moves off and they are still sat there that you realise what they are doing.

I would crush the phone of anyone caught and with the latest models costing over £500 it may make offenders realise.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would crush the phone of anyone caught and with the latest models costing over £500 it may make offenders realise.
I have differing views but I obey the law, but if you are going to impose it then do it properly, confiscate the vehicle with immediate effect.

When eventually their total complacency overtakes them and they are stopped by the police or GOD forgive they are involved in an accident the vehicle should be confiscated there and then - irrespective of whom it belongs to.
The service provider should be instructed to close the account and the mobile phone should be technologically fried therefore rendering it a useless piece of junk.
The fine should be increased so as to represent the equivalent of one months wages/income and if unemployed it should be taken from any received benefits.
I have been a victim of a brain dead young woman albeit not whilst riding my bikes - the police did absolutely nothing - not even checking her call-log.

Scenario - year 2000 - Wet road and still raining in Warrington town centre I was stationary with the handbrake on waiting for a gap in traffic when her car rammed the back of my Ford Sierra Estate which resulted in it being shunted twenty feet and into oncoming traffic colliding with a car that was being driven by a young lady on her way to an anti-natal clinic half a mile further up the road.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've heard (anecdotally) that there are still grey areas surrounding phone use. For example if someone is fiddling with their phone on a mount, with satnav or music, then it's not really the same offense but you can still be done for driving without due care - I believe this falls under the same category as when a driver was given a ticket for eating a kitkat at the wheel. It's all about proving what they were doing, and I suppose they haven't the resources to look into every possible case. If it goes to court and they don't have enough evidence then it's a waste of their time and resources.

So, crushing someone's car or expensive phone could only really be done if the Police had it on camera and it was clear.

I think crushing the phone would be a great deterrent. It would cause a significant financial loss, not to mention the time and annoyance of negotiating cancellations, losing people's details etc which is probably more important to some than money

D

Deleted member 26715

We need Chief Inspector @Drago to confirm this.
Pretty sure he covered it earlier in the thread, but can't be bothered to look, it's a none starter

CXRAndy

Guru
Told off a woman yesterday for using her phone whilst waiting at a junction. She really didn't get it, that not moving isn't the same as parked. She however did put her phone away when I said I was more than happy to record her using it and pass it to the police. I got the proverbial flicked V when she drove away. Maybe she will hesitate using her phone next time

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Two from one ride on Monday. Dashcam review officers "seeking to prosecute".

The first an executive in slow moving traffic.

phonemerc.jpg

The second a young driver waiting in a queue with the car in gear, footbrake on, eating from a packet on her lap and keeping up with social media on her handheld phone. She may be young enough to lose her licence for this one offence but needs re-education.

phonegirl.jpg

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One from this morning. Using it whilst stationary at the lights then still using it 30 seconds later when she drove past me. Advisory letter going out.
IMG_20190701_095754.jpg

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One from last Thursday's journey home - dashcam police "seeking to prosecute".

And another from the same journey, dashcam officers also "seeking to prosecute" (surprising despite the poor footage) - phone on the wheel, no seat belts on her or the child in the front seat, no MOT either.

Last edited:
Quick question - apologies if answered upthread - is it illegal these days to use a phone behind the wheel if stationary?

(i stress I'm not a driver these days so not contemplating any dodgy driving)

Top Bottom