Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ha ha, brilliant! They should give you a job doing nothing but that. In fact, employing a single copper to ride about in plain clothes doing nothing but that would be white cost effective if they're serious about casualty reduction.

Just in one square mile I could probably catch more than ten per day doing this, without too much trouble.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I asked if she needed a little official encouragement to put the phone away whilst driving, she said no thanks, she was fine, and carried on. I asked if she thought she could be safely trusted with a phone and a car at the same time and she said yes and carried on. I explained how it was hazardous for people like me and she wound up her window and carried on. So I uploaded the footage.

Oh to be a fly on the wall then the paperwork arrives through her door. No doubt she is totally oblivous right now.
What camera are you using by the way? I have been thinking about getting one for a while but need it good enough to clearly pick up number plates.
:biggrin:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Oh to be a fly on the wall then the paperwork arrives through her door. No doubt she is totally oblivous right now.
What camera are you using by the way? I have been thinking about getting one for a while but need it good enough to clearly pick up number plates.
:biggrin:

I have a Drift Stealth 2 - the modern equivalent (with better battery) is a Ghost X. It has to be on the helmet to catch these images.

It's on the side of the helmet on a self-adhesive mount rather than on the front, so hoping if I come off it'll be brushed off rather than forced into my bonce.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
R40 ECW.png

Just past my street, school run time, school run Mum tapping away whilst driving behind a kid on a bike. Reported.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ha! An Audi again!

Mrs D drove me back from Kent yesterday, leaving me free to observe those around us. One guy driving like a tool, weaving in and out of lanes on the M25, and as we drew closer I could see he was playing with his phone...

What is it that makes people so psychologically weak that they can't go a whole car journey without checking Twitbook or their text messages? Some kind of psychometric screening as part of the driving test would make the world a safer place.

Keep up the good work Mr Lad.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We are plagued with them, but I think I should report where possible as they are more likely to crash than the rest.

After all, the police will at least send a warning on most of the reports I send in so here's hoping it will do some good.
WX13 WOY.png

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The dashcam officers are seeking to prosecute this phone addict I reported last week. The obviously consider the footage clear enough.
WX13 WOY.png

Bman

Guru
I found this site recently that has the right idea:

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

I want to start reporting again and am looking for the best channel to do it. My local bobbies don't subscribe to this particular website but have their own web form to use to report these incidents but they seem to require a driver description:

https://www.herts.police.uk/Report/Report-Shared/Report-anti-social-driving-with-video-evidence

My footage mostly consists of bad, or close overtakes and almost never captures a driver description.

Or is the answer a rear camera?

Scaleyback

Veteran
I found this site recently that has the right idea:

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

I have a Nextbase dashcam and submitted a video of reckless driving to the
portal you link to. Unfortunately, I had no confirmation of receipt and no feedback. This was many months ago now so who knows if I was wasting
my time ?
My county North Yorkshire invites video footage by vulnerable road users
To Operation Spartan. https://northyorkshire.police.uk/do-it-online/road-policing/traffic-bureau/ This seems to have ‘teeth’ as I reported elsewhere
here I submitted video evidence I caught whilst cycling and OpSpartan
have notified me of ‘intention to prosecute’

‘Bman’ also says “ or is the answer a rear camera ‘

I cycle thousands of miles a year on our largely rural North Yorkshire roads
and I have front & rear cameras when cycling. As well as driving that imo needs
Police involvement I have also sent video footage to a few firms/companies (identified by their vehicle livery and their number plates) who put me at risk for whatever reason. I do it respectfully and ask them to remind their drivers of the laws pertaining to driving around cyclists. I have received 100% support and assurance by all firms/companies contacted that they will undertake this.

Some reading this may ‘typecast’ me as an old (I am 72) vengeful, embittered vigilante ? if so read on . . . I lost my son (at age 21) many years ago now in a RTA. He was a back seat passenger in a car that was hit head on by someone overtaking. I feel I owe it to every parent/partner/brother/sister out there to help make the roads a safer place in whatever small way I can. I have no wish for
drivers to lose their licence and/or job but sadly if their employers or the law deems that is necessary then the roads will in some small way be a safer place.

My apologies for this weighty ‘tome’

Drive safely.

Top Bottom