Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's a strange world where there is lawful recording of unlawful and dangerous behaviour going on, and yet some see the recording part as the bad / remarkable bit of that scenario. So bad in fact, that violence could even be an expected outcome.
We really do have things the wrong way around in society don't we.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm sure they do,

I'm just pointing out some people would take a rather dim view of being recorded by a 'civilian' and reported to the Police.

Cyclist's have a bad time as it is without people like this making it worse, I didn't realise this sort of thing existed?

Jeez.
Any hairy arrised builder wants to take a dim view of my bike cam catching them doing something they shouldn't is very welcome to come have a chat. I won't be quivering with fear.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure they do,

I'm just pointing out some people would take a rather dim view of being recorded by a 'civilian' and reported to the Police.

Cyclist's have a bad time as it is without people like this making it worse, I didn't realise this sort of thing existed?

Jeez.

Wait till you hear about Cycling Mikey (possibly still a member here) who in 2019 alone reported 360 drivers. His videos submitted to the police have brought about 869 penalty points and £52,769 in fines+costs so far, with 6 drivers disqualified.

The guy is doing a public service!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's a strange world where there is lawful recording of unlawful and dangerous behaviour going on, and yet some see the recording part as the bad / remarkable bit of that scenario. So bad in fact, that violence could even be an expected outcome.
We really do have things the wrong way around in society don't we.

Very true, but, fortunately, not everyone takes that view.

Recently, whilst out cycling with Mrs @BoldonLad, we had a "close pass", by a tipper lorry. Not close enough to be really scary, but, certainly too close for comfort.

The incident was clearly recorded on my camera, complete with Company name and Reg No of the vehicle.

Rather than send the footage to the Police, I decided to send it to the Company, via Email.

I received a very polite, and, apologetic reply, and, a promise that the incident had been brought to the driver's attention, with a view to avoiding a repeat.

Of course, we will never know if the message takes hold.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Or more likely never delivered. The company involved is the last place I would expect to see a reaction. The Police and Transport Commissioner should be the first people to contact.

Yes, would broadly agree, and, had it been scarily close, that would have been my course of action, since it was a "oops... bit close that", I decided to give him (the driver) the benefit of the doubt....

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If I have good evidence to show that a driver cannot be safely trusted with a mobile phone, and do nothing with it and he or she goes on to injure somebody...

Damn right I'll send it in. I don't engage with the majority of these people. They can learn some self discipline the easy way rather than the hard way.

Reactions: C R

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm sure they do,

Jeez.
Why would I announce it? Film and ride on..

I quite agree we have a hard enough time staying safe on the road without some idiot who can't leave the phone alone at the wheel driving distracted.

Haven't you seen these people staring down into their laps rather than looking out of the big window? The many reports of drivers killing and injuring people when they crash?

This is my local area and the next victim could be one of my friends or family. It'd be wrong to sit on the evidence.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The police seem to be very much behind this sort of thing:
https://www.itv.com/news/westcountr...to-catch-dangerous-drivers-on-camera-in-devon

(apologies if posted before - I've missed the first 51 pages of this thread!)
A cycling club in Portishead has obtained funding for cameras for its riders too, I think the police see this as a way to catch dangerous drivers & deal with them at times when officer numbers are ever decreasing. I like to hope that some of the 180 drivers the police have contacted following my reports will have upped their game.

Any hairy arrised builder wants to take a dim view of my bike cam catching them doing something they shouldn't is very welcome to come have a chat. I won't be quivering with fear.
To be fair though you are 6 foot 4 and love the weights, as you're fond of telling us, so I doubt you would.

I detest people like this!

Get a job as a plod if you're that keen, not you Drago as I believe you were one.

Cycling_Samurai

Whilst I don't do it myself - the risk to others by using a phone when driving is many orders of magnitude larger than when cycling.
That is very true. But there are already enough dangers on the road that staring at your phone whilst pedalling along in a bike lane is asinine.

Very true, but, fortunately, not everyone takes that view.

Recently, whilst out cycling with Mrs @BoldonLad, we had a "close pass", by a tipper lorry. Not close enough to be really scary, but, certainly too close for comfort.

The incident was clearly recorded on my camera, complete with Company name and Reg No of the vehicle.

Rather than send the footage to the Police, I decided to send it to the Company, via Email.

I received a very polite, and, apologetic reply, and, a promise that the incident had been brought to the driver's attention, with a view to avoiding a repeat.

Of course, we will never know if the message takes hold.
You haven't gone out of your way to 'catch ' people and make it a quest though have you, that's what I think is sad.

Top Bottom