Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Believe me, road crime is so prevalent that nobody needs to go out of their way to capture it.
Buying a camera and recording stuff is pretty much ' going out of your way ' then there's reporting it.

I don't go "out of my way" - simply got a camera because of too many close calls & I wanted to have evidence if the worst happened. Why all the hate ?
It's not just 'close calls' though is it, you're actively recording people in their cars and then reporting them to the Police.

That's not going out of your way?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm sure they do,

I'm just pointing out some people would take a rather dim view of being recorded by a 'civilian' and reported to the Police.

Cyclist's have a bad time as it is without people like this making it worse, I didn't realise this sort of thing existed?

Jeez.
I have a record on my computer of every registration number I have reported; red light runners, driving in the cycle lane, close passers. In fact anything I think, or have learned from experience, the police will take action on. It's quite a list.:sad:
Why should a motorist think they can get away with for example close passing? It could be one of my daughters, or indeed your daughter, (if she cycles), who has a bad experience and gets put off cycling.
When regularly commuting and with weekend riding I would be cycling around 100 - 120 miles a week. There would be on average an incident a week, which to my mind is appalling, given I cycled outside peak periods. - Often leaving home at 5.30am.
I don't go looking for law breakers. There are plenty making themselves visible.
Edited to add: The 10/15 minutes it takes to clip the video, prepare a witness statement and electronically submit it, is no inconvenience.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Buying a camera and recording stuff is pretty much ' going out of your way ' then there's reporting it.

My bike camera is there for the same reason as the hundreds of thousands of drivers using dashcams; to provide evidence in the event of a collision where the other party denies liability or lies about the circumstances.

It’s fit and forget unless something endangers me or someone else in a way that ought to have police involvement. I don’t go around looking for things any more than the average driver with a dashcam.

It’s no more “going out of my way” than fitting a security camera to my house in case someone breaks in.

Why are some folk so tetchy about cyclists using this when so many drivers choose to do the same and bus/lorry companies fit them as standard? Have you never seen police appeals where footage from a bus or lorry was used to educate the public or seek witnesses?

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair though you are 6 foot 4 and love the weights, as you're fond of telling us, so I doubt you would.

I am indeed. Enough people on the forum have met me to tell you thr truth of that.

Strangely enough though, for some very strange reason these gobby sorts don't seem keen to front up to me. Can't think why. To be honest, i like a quiet life and would be happy if it remained that way, but if any aggrieved motorists wants a piece of me then the need only read my signature to undetstand my view on the world.

I'm sure you are mate,

I don't really understand the signature comment but that doesn't really matter.

My bike camera is there for the same reason as the hundreds of thousands of drivers using dashcams; to provide evidence in the event of a collision where the other party denies liability or lies about the circumstances.

It’s fit and forget unless something endangers me or someone else in a way that ought to have police involvement. I don’t go around looking for things any more than the average driver with a dashcam.

It’s no more “going out of my way” than fitting a security camera to my house in case someone breaks in.

Why are some folk so tetchy about cyclists using this when so many drivers choose to do the same and bus/lorry companies fit them as standard? Have you never seen police appeals where footage from a bus or lorry was used to educate the public or seek witnesses?
I think we've gone off on a tangent here as usual, my comments are directed at someone who actively seeks out car drivers he feels are breaking the law, record's them an then reports them to the Police.

Wear what you like, film what you like and if involved in an accident or witness one feel free to use the recording as proof.

If however you want to be a Traffic Cop, change jobs!
As always this is only my opinion and if you disagree that's fine.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I prefer to see it as taking the opportunity to try to change a dangerous habit. I don't go out of my way, these are the roads I use to commute and as I filter past, the phone users make themselves obvious by their distracted driving. It's very easy to spot.

I prefer to see it as taking the opportunity to try to change a dangerous habit. I don't go out of my way, these are the roads I use to commute and as I filter past, the phone users make themselves obvious by their distracted driving. It's very easy to spot.
One question then, how do you not 'go out of your way ' to report them?

You have also said you try and 'capture ' their screen?

Just admit what you're doing, you're obviously proud.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

I take the opportunity to report them as it may lead to behaviour change and safer roads. These people pose a danger to me and others. Maybe you don't think it's all that hazardous but we're both entitled to our own opinions here.

Reactions: C R

So what you seem to be saying is that if we witness crime (anywhere, anyhoo) it's better to just walk on by? What's wrong with helping a prosecution along?

Or are you the sort who just grumbles about some litterers (or dangerous drivers) to the wife when you get home?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom