Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have spoken to some drivers seen using their phones, in some cases that's meant I haven't gone on to report them. In other cases when they don't give a proverbial about it I have gone on to report them. Other times I can't be bothered with the confrontation or don't think the driver will engage in a polite conversation. Or as you say @matticus the opportunity for a chat does not arise. I will always try to discuss a close pass with the driver but again, the chances of catching up are often slim.

The police can decide what to do about it then. For all I know, they're driving uninsured, or have six points already for mobile phone use and need further encouragement to put it away whilst behind the wheel.
As a matter of interest, why do you feel this is your duty?

Just a being 'good citizen' or is there a deeper reason?

Just curious.

On any decent length road trip you will see illegal mobile phone usage. So yup, I am witnessing crime while going about my daily business.
I suppose I tend to ride in rural areas as much as possible so rarely see rows of slow traffic and the associated phone users whilst on my bike, I obviously witness the same as you when driving or riding my Motorcycle but don't have a camera so wouldn't have the opportunity to film.

I often see people 'stuck' at lights when they change due to being on their phone but wouldn't be arsed to report them.

Everyone's different.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I just don't get the compulsion to be some kind of 'phone vigilante'

A vigilante is someone who enforces law and punishment without lawful authority. That's not happening here.

You really do appear to have a problem with people on bikes assisting the police in making their environment safer, using pejoratives like sneaky, sly, and vigilante to mischaracterise what's happening.

In my experience, the people who are of that frame of mind are those who resent the increased risk of themselves being caught offending in some way.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
As a matter of interest, why do you feel this is your duty?

Just a being 'good citizen' or is there a deeper reason?

Just curious.

I don't see it at all as a "duty".

I'm chiefly motivated by self-interest - a minority of drivers are driving without due care and attention on the same roads my family & I cycle on, and I have the opportunity to try to mitigate the risk they pose to us by reporting their behaviour or speaking to them. If someone breaks the habit & puts the phone down then that's one safer driver around me & my loved ones (as well as the rest of my community).

If they tell their chums that some sly sneaky cyclist grassed them up whilst they were checking Instagram, or because they passed him dangerously close, then their chums might be more careful as well. And so it spreads.

This incident happened quite close to where I live. My friend remembers attending as a firefighter and having to cut the drivers out of their vehicles. There but for the grace of God....

"To know that all of this could have been avoided if the driver of the other car hadn’t been distracted is just heartbreaking," said Iain."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...wpUCjsIYa8wqvCCgks30BXnmqNR84-2h83PIsVRmm1Pmg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I suppose I tend to ride in rural areas as much as possible so rarely see rows of slow traffic and the associated phone users whilst on my bike, I obviously witness the same as you when driving or riding my Motorcycle but don't have a camera so wouldn't have the opportunity to film.

I often see people 'stuck' at lights when they change due to being on their phone but wouldn't be arsed to report them.

Everyone's different.

As you say, everyone is different, and, we all have different opinions.

Personally, I like the area where I live, cycle and drive to be clean (ie litter free and dog cr*p free), and safe.

I want the Police and/or Local authority to enforce the laws, so:

If I see fly-tipping, I report it

If I see littering, I report it

If while cycling, I suffer a close pass, and, it happens to be recorded, I report it

If while driving, I happen to witness dangerous behaviour, and, it happens to be recorded, I report it.

If I. witness dog fouling, I report it.

It does little to stem the tide of idiocy, but, I feel, I am doing bit.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
This incident happened quite close to where I live. My friend remembers attending as a firefighter and having to cut the drivers out of their vehicles. There but for the grace of God....

"To know that all of this could have been avoided if the driver of the other car hadn’t been distracted is just heartbreaking," said Iain."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/...wpUCjsIYa8wqvCCgks30BXnmqNR84-2h83PIsVRmm1Pmg
Another very pertinent quote from that report:
“I would also really urge every single driver to invest in a dash cam.
We’ve had a real battle to get to where we are and a lot of it depended on witnesses coming forward.
A dashcam could have helped show what really happened and the process would have gone a lot quicker.
If I had my way, they would be made mandatory.”

sheddy

Legendary Member
Cell phones used by motorists cause KSIs, every week.

Maybe ask your PCC candidates in the elections what they will do rather than bleating about grassing up motons.

Cell phones used by motorists cause KSIs, every week.

Maybe ask your PCC candidates in the elections what they will do rather than bleating about grassing up motons.
I assume you're addressing me?

I'm not 'bleating' I'm expressing an opinion, like lots do on here on many subjects.

I haven't a clue what PCC candidates are and what the election reference is and what KSI means?

Killed or Seriously Injured
(it's a standard term in road safety and accident data)

That's what phone-using drivers are doing; to people like you and me, just going about our daily business on the roads.

As you say, everyone is different, and, we all have different opinions.

Personally, I like the area where I live, cycle and drive to be clean (ie litter free and dog cr*p free), and safe.

I want the Police and/or Local authority to enforce the laws, so:

If I see fly-tipping, I report it

If I see littering, I report it

If while cycling, I suffer a close pass, and, it happens to be recorded, I report it

If while driving, I happen to witness dangerous behaviour, and, it happens to be recorded, I report it.

If I. witness dog fouling, I report it.

It does little to stem the tide of idiocy, but, I feel, I am doing bit.
I agree with lots you say, If I saw people fly tipping I would confront them, I've spoken to people who let their Dog crap on the pavement and don't get it up.

I wouldn't know where to 'report' any of the above to though, I assume you see all these people doing this or just the after effects?

You must be a very busy Man.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I agree with lots you say, If I saw people fly tipping I would confront them, I've spoken to people who let their Dog crap on the pavement and don't get it up.

I wouldn't know where to 'report' any of the above to though, I assume you see all these people doing this or just the after effects?

You must be a very busy Man.

In my area, you can report fly tipping, dog fouling and litter on the Council website. They are usually prompt about dealing with it.

I don’t make it my life’s work to report these things, but, if I happen to see them on my daily walking or cycling outings (only one per day, in my local area, at the moment, can’t upset the Covid Stasi), then, I report them. 😊

In my area, you can report fly tipping, dog fouling and litter on the Council website. They are usually prompt about dealing with it.

I don’t make it my life’s work to report these things, but, if I happen to see them on my daily walking or cycling outings (only one per day, in my local area, at the moment, can’t upset the Covid Stasi), then, I report them. 😊
Fly tipping is a real pi**er and really annoys me, the amount in country lanes is getting worse.

I suppose, in hindsight, Phone use in cars is worse than fly tipping, odd how certain things annoy people more than others.

Top Bottom