Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I understand it's a criminal offence but would you be happy dobbing someone in and they then lose their livelihood thanks to you?

Yes, in a heartbeat.

Here’s why…

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/s...driver-jailed-after-crashing-into-van-on-a27/

This shocking video shows the moment a lorry driver – distracted by his mobile phone – crashes into the back of a van on the A27, seriously injuring three people.
The footage was captured by two cameras fitted to the vehicle driven by Derek Holland, 59, of Sutton Avenue, Seaford.
It was reviewed by detectives, who recorded 42 separate incidents of poor driving during his four-hour journey prior to the collision near Lewes, about 10.55am on 10 August 2020.

Fair enough, just getting the measure of folk. Cheers.

• Wow
Reactions: C R
My brother-in-law once commented "well you don't grass on people' in a similar conversation about a more serious (sorry - even more serious) offence

My wife and I made it clear that we damn well do!

I wouldn't report someone who was messing with a phone for a few seconds while at a red traffic light as the car is stable. However, it is clearly an offence. But if I had them on film moving off like that I would report it.

ALthough as I don;t have a suitable camera it is a moot point at the moment!

glasgowcyclist

These people who use phones at the wheel are as bad as drunk drivers and the sooner it becomes just as socially unacceptable the better.

I can't imagine what justification a person can have in not reporting, that would leave them content to allow the lives of others be put at such risk.

I suppose it's just the measure of some folk.

sasquath

Shep sounds like the person who doesn't care for the safety of others.
Good to get the measure of him.
No, he just hates authority (or plods) so much he will rather see people mowed down by mobile phone staring moron behind the wheel than report him.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think we need to understand that people may have different attitudes to authority/the police depending on all sorts of factors. My own experience is broadly positive but that's far from everyone's.

My friend, a respectable professional, faced a crown court trial for GBH after the police interviewed everyone on the opposing rugby team and nobody from his own team, for example.

I have another friend who cuts people, dead or alive, out of the wreckage of vehicles after collisions caused by dangerous drivers. He's really supportive of dashcam reporting.

People in my local community have been killed or had life-changing injuries due to reckless driving and phone distraction, and any one of them could've been me or my family. There but for the grace of God..

But I do realise that for many, their experience culture or background may mean that they wouldn't report anything at all unless they were fully personally affected, and even then they might take other routes to deal with the situation.

glasgowcyclist

I think we need to understand that people may have different attitudes to authority/the police depending on all sorts of factors. My own experience is broadly positive but that's far from everyone's.

My friend, a respectable professional, faced a crown court trial for GBH after the police interviewed everyone on the opposing rugby team and nobody from his own team, for example.

I have another friend who cuts people, dead or alive, out of the wreckage of vehicles after collisions caused by dangerous drivers. He's really supportive of dashcam reporting.

People in my local community have been killed or had life-changing injuries due to reckless driving and phone distraction, and any one of them could've been me or my family. There but for the grace of God..

But I do realise that for many, their experience culture or background may mean that they wouldn't report anything at all unless they were fully personally affected, and even then they might take other routes to deal with the situation.

Some of that may be true for a few people who do not want to involve the police through a lack of trust but it's not the case here, judging by the language used. In this instance, the only concern expressed is about the loss of livelihood for the offender.

In my view, that attitude is inexcusable.

Top Bottom