Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some years ago my partner insisted on knowing where I was so NEEDED to know where I was and when I would be home
I was a teacher so leaving time and traffic were variable

but every day she NEEDED to ring and find out where I was

I had a hands free thingy but I realised that if I was driving I could not talk on the phone and drive AND concentrate on the driving

My partner went crazy because I started refusing to answer and if she rang then I waited until I reached a layby and then rang back

because when I was talking on the hands free then I KNEW I was not concentrating on the driving
and I was in control of close of 2 tons of metal hurtling down the road at 70 mph!!!!

the concept of talking on a phone - whether hands free or not - become unacceptable

if you have people driving to remote sites or clients - then you need to structure your organisation so that they are free to drive uninterrupted.

Most organisations used to do it before mobile phones existed - they can do it now
many years ago I travelled some miles up the M6 in a car driven by an senior manager and his phoen rang
fully installed hands free phone
he engaged in a complex detailed discussion about a serious business issue
he had no real clue about when was happening on the road ahead - he stayed behind the car in front - but if the car had braked I would bet he would have gone directly into the back of it

I do not believe that anyone on a hand free phone can possibly be concentrating on tje road and traffic as much as they need to

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I do not believe that anyone on a hand free phone can possibly be concentrating on tje road and traffic as much as they need to
My employer forbids the taking of hands-free calls while behind the wheel. They would rather we concentrated on the driving, and also encourage ending calls if we realise the recipient is driving.

I’m sure I read somewhere that talking to a passenger is considered less risky; apparently the brain handles talking to another person differently to a disembodied voice.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@ebikeerwidnes my wife used to call me at times when she knew I was likely to be driving. It was always "What time will you be home?" or "Can you pick up some milk?"

I never understood this because if I used the phone while she was in the car she would object.

I've held handsfree conversations while driving. I know it was wrong, my concentration would simply be autopilot at best but I wouldn't dream of it now.

Reactions: C R

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I’m sure I read somewhere that talking to a passenger is considered less risky; apparently the brain handles talking to another person differently to a disembodied voice.

That, plus the fact that the person you're talking to can see when conditions are such that you need to devote all your attention to the road..

sasquath

There's simple safe solution for overly paranoid partners that have to know where we are.
Google maps allows to share current live location, like Strava premium beacon feature, but free. Used it when I was motorcycling.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
yep, mythbusters did a test. They drove in reverse around obstacle course while talking over hands free, then tried to match result under influence of alcohol. 3 to 5 pints of american beer to be as bad behind the wheel as while talking hands free over the phone. If i remember correctly it was over California and UK limit, which are one of the highest in the world btw... I'm having trouble walking straight with that much alcohol in me:cursing:
More formal studies have been done and conclude that hands-free use while driving results in worse response times than drink driving.

mobiledrivingreaction.jpg

(edit to remove superfluous word)

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Personally, I do not use phone when driving
Unfortunately my son uses hands free when driving his car and also his artic. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of any distraction when driving; e.g., a call that that takes more than about half a minute or more, even with today's techno, it's often very hard to make out what he's saying. :whistle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...s-in-great-britain-pedal-cycle-factsheet-2020

2015-2020 2 cyclists were killed, and 83 seriously injured every week. As I read the stats, 94.5% of these cases involved at least one motor vehicle. We must continue to act when we witness dangerous driving if these figures are to change.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Unfortunately my son uses hands free when driving his car and also his artic. Whilst I'm not keen on the idea of any distraction when driving; e.g., a call that that takes more than about half a minute or more, even with today's techno, it's often very hard to make out what he's saying. :whistle:

Yes, my offspring use hands free sometimes. Myself and wife try to actively discourage it (ie nag them), and always cut calls short, if we realise they are driving. Since they are aged 45 - 50, it is rather difficult to. stop their pocket money now, if they don't do as they are told (or asked). ;)

Last edited:
I commented to a friend that his handsfree call demonstrated that it was the distraction that was the problem rather than just holding th phone, he was frankly upset and claimed he was just fine and hadn't done anything wrong! The other 2 passengers backed me up - and each of us spotted a different failing (holding gear too long, closing on traffic, late lane change, early return from lane). He's still a friend but it was a bit touch and go... Could have been much worse as the other passengers he lives with 😄.

No, he just hates authority (or plods) so much he will rather see people mowed down by mobile phone staring moron behind the wheel than report him.
Sorry for the delay in replying I was banned for a Month following my last reply (I assume) I don't dislike either authority or the Police, my Son is a Prison Officer.
I assume all these photographs that are being taken by cyclists are of people in stationary traffic queues?

In my opinion if someone looks at their phone whilst stopped in a queue I wouldn't want to report them to the Police and they lose their licence, I've not said anyone else shouldn't do it.

Some of that may be true for a few people who do not want to involve the police through a lack of trust but it's not the case here, judging by the language used. In this instance, the only concern expressed is about the loss of livelihood for the offender.

In my view, that attitude is inexcusable.
Again, conclusion jumping.

Haven't had the chance to explain due to being banned, no issues with the Police at all.

Biker man

People in London can report mobile-phone-using drivers on the following form:

http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

The form takes about 5 mins to fill in, and can be sent anonymously. It is also relevant for other gross traffic offences. I have sent in several forms and correspondence with the admin officers shows that they are very keen indeed to get details of "those who consider themselves above the law" in their words. There is even a drop-down choice for "cycling near-misses". We should support this effort to change the enforcement environment in favour of the general good.

If people are aware of other schemes around the country, perhaps they could also post details?

Admin, could we have a sticky?

Cheers

TI
I have reported many things to the police they take no notice .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I assume all these photographs that are being taken by cyclists are of people in stationary traffic queues?
I really dislike this concept that when you're stationary, no harm is going to come from reading your phone.
A friend of mine had an unbelievably stupid collision in the US (where it's extremely common and largely perfectly acceptable to use phones, and even text while driving). He was stationary at a red traffic signal waiting to turn left, across traffic, and he was reading emails on his phone while waiting. The next thing he knew was that there was a horn blast behind him. Slightly startled, he looked up, saw the light was green and immediately set off left, and he struck a glancing blow to a car which was coming through the junction, thankfully not fast. A 2 ton car, and he didn't register it because he was startled and his brain was not taking in the key information and processing / prioritising it correctly.
He later explained that he felt pressured by the horn behind to go quickly, and simply hadn't registered the vehicle until just as he struck it. He did reflect later that if he was observing the junction he would have seen the car easily, and early, in fact he couldn't have failed to. He is in the airline safety industry by the way and he uses that mistake to illustrate how distraction from the task in hand can overwhelm and delay the brain's ability to process even obvious information, so good on him for being honest, especially in a country where that kind of distracted driving is a norm.

When you're stationary in a car you need to be observing, looking at what's going on around you, ready and prepared to set off. Not reading texts and oblivious to that pedestrian or that cyclist that wasn't there previously and has now appeared in the time that you've been reading. Advanced driving courses teach this pre-set off observation for a reason. Things develop at junctions etc, the scene changes and the driver needs to be awake to it. It's right that the use of phones when stationary is punishable because it can and does cause collisions.

Top Bottom