Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Sorry for the delay in replying I was banned for a Month following my last reply (I assume) I don't dislike either authority or the Police, my Son is a Prison Officer.
I assume all these photographs that are being taken by cyclists are of people in stationary traffic queues?
Why assume that? Many cyclists have GoPros or similar, running all the time, and can just take screenshots from that.

In my opinion if someone looks at their phone whilst stopped in a queue I wouldn't want to report them to the Police and they lose their licence, I've not said anyone else shouldn't do it.

While I can see the point that it is not as bad when stationary, you still need to be paying attention if in a queue. If you are going to use your phone in your hand, you should pull off to the side and stop properly (according to the law you should turn off your engine, but I would accept that much isn't necessary).

Why assume that? Many cyclists have GoPros or similar, running all the time, and can just take screenshots from that.

While I can see the point that it is not as bad when stationary, you still need to be paying attention if in a queue. If you are going to use your phone in your hand, you should pull off to the side and stop properly (according to the law you should turn off your engine, but I would accept that much isn't necessary).
Listen, due to how things work on here it appears if you disagree with 'the norm' you're reported for trolling then banned so I simply came back to put the record straight and the thread is going on ignore.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Listen, due to how things work on here it appears if you disagree with 'the norm' you're reported for trolling then banned so I simply came back to put the record straight and the thread is going on ignore.
So it's someone else's fault when the texting driver gets banned and it's someone else's fault that you broke the forum rules and got banned.

I can see a pattern here.

(And a month-long ban on here isn't for a mere disagreement of views.)

sasquath

I assume all these photographs that are being taken by cyclists are of people in stationary traffic queues?
No, only 4 mobile phone use I reported were:
While turning rigt on a junction, c***t cut me up.
While zigzagging on motorway, I asked passenger to start recording.
While creeping at 10mph in a queue and drifting into the cycle lane.
After near miss on dual carrige way when van driver on his phone tried to occupy same space as me during lane change.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Sorry for the delay in replying I was banned for a Month following my last reply
Ah, that explains why much of this forum has been so bland and boring lately.
I'm sure I speak for the majority here when I say welcome back. We've missed your rational, well-considered and indeed deeply considerate input to this and many other threads.
Those responsible for your unjustified exile should hang their heads in shame.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I seem to have missed that poll.
How very dare you? You must be one of they metropolitan elite I keep hearing about.
Everyone I talk to in 'spoons agrees with shep, because they live in the real world.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Those who think that driver distraction by mobile phone use in slow-moving or stationary traffic is harmless, should look at the case of Hope Fennell, it is quite harrowing. Try sharing that view with her poor Mother.

To imagine that the people who fiddle with their phones in such traffic will somehow have the self-discipline to put them away in moving traffic is rather naïve. The easiest time for anyone to catch them is when they're not on the move. Ideally, once detected the offence can be prosecuted and the driver disciplined into putting the phone away. Making the roads safer for everyone.

Etern4l

Those who think that driver distraction by mobile phone use in slow-moving or stationary traffic is harmless, should look at the case of Hope Fennell, it is quite harrowing. Try sharing that view with her poor Mother.

To imagine that the people who fiddle with their phones in such traffic will somehow have the self-discipline to put them away in moving traffic is rather naïve. The easiest time for anyone to catch them is when they're not on the move. Ideally, once detected the offence can be prosecuted and the driver disciplined into putting the phone away. Making the roads safer for everyone.

If you look at the stats, the impact of all phone use on KSI (Killed or Seriously Injured) is just noise in the grand scheme of things: about 150 of 30,000 per year, not to mention the specific case of stationary use, in which case I guess we are talking about single digits per year.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-would-you-improve-central-london-cycling.239285/post-6662940

Of course, someone could say that even one KSI case a decade is too much, in which case we should take immediate steps to prevent these by by banning all road traffic including cycling, failing that absolutely eliminate any potentially distracting factors such as music, other passengers in the car etc.. Arguably banning cycling on shared public roads would also be extremely helpful in bringing the KSI numbers down!

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
If you look at the stats, the impact of all phone use on KSI (Killed or Seriously Injured) is just noise in the grand scheme of things: about 150 of 30,000 per year, not to mention the specific case of stationary use, in which case I guess we are talking about single digits per year.
I thought there was plenty of scientific evidence that the specific types of distraction from operating hand held mobile devices, or even just talking on a hands-free phone (as opposed to conversing with a 'real' passenger) was pretty dangerous?

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
I thought there was plenty of scientific evidence that the specific types of distraction from operating hand held mobile devices, or even just talking on a hands-free phone (as opposed to conversing with a 'real' passenger) was pretty dangerous?
There is.

But the stats still show the number of KSI accidents caused by it is pretty small. It doesn't matter how dangerous something is, if very few people do it, then it will have little impact statistically. And while there are far too many people who do use handheld phones while driving, most of them are doing so in slow moving environments where the smashes they cause will relatvely rarely result in death or serious injury.

Top Bottom