Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Fly tipping is a real pi**er and really annoys me, the amount in country lanes is getting worse.

I suppose, in hindsight, Phone use in cars is worse than fly tipping, odd how certain things annoy people more than others.

Quite. Just as we all have different opinions, we all have different "pet hates", mine is dog fouling. ;)

Ste T.

Guru
As a matter of interest, why do you feel this is your duty?

Just a being 'good citizen' or is there a deeper reason?

Just curious.
Perhaps because this thread is 11 years old and you still see idiots all day every day doing it, including what I find the most amazing, people who's job requires a licence. 🤔

MickytheHippo

because drivers no longer consider it an actual crime, when did you see anyone charged with it as an offence unless it was a contributary factor in an accident

All uphill

Still rolling along
Because I want anyone, child or adult, to be able to choose cycling as a safe and enjoyable way to get around.

I also actively campaign for better cycling and walking infrastructure.

mustang1

Guru
I got caught using this. I saw some dude on the phone, so I used my phone to report the dude. In return the dude dobbed me in. What a catch 22. Grrr.

Kidding (Sheesh does everything have to be a joke around here?). Nice one.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
because drivers no longer consider it an actual crime, when did you see anyone charged with it as an offence unless it was a contributary factor in an accident

CyclingMikey reports a good number of drivers convicted of this offence, based upon his clear video submissions of their use of handheld mobile phones for all sorts of interactive communications. I expect some of those who I have reported will have had prosecutions for not being in proper control, if not for the actual phone use as my footage rarely shows what they are actually doing with the handheld device. Footage I submit does frequently show them rolling along with it in their hands though. The law is due to change this year to make it easier to prosecute. :okay:

sasquath

Don't forget to NOT put submitted footage on YouTube or such as it invalidates it as evidence.

You can upload video footage to most police forces using the nexbase portal

I can't see that reporting without footage will lead to anything - if that's what the link above allows.
I understand it's a criminal offence but would you be happy dobbing someone in and they then lose their livelihood thanks to you?

MuelNado

Regular
I understand it's a criminal offence but would you be happy dobbing someone in and they then lose their livelihood thanks to you?

Flip it around. How would you feel if you didn't report the person and then read they'd gone on to kill someone while on their phone?

"Dobbing someone in"? Are we supposed to look the other way because it's not OK to report someone in a kind of prison/playground rules mentality? Does the same apply if the driver is clearly drunk behind the wheel?

I'd feel fine personally. In the last month, I've seen numerous drivers on their phones while moving; a delivery driver nearly reversed into me (also threatened to kill me in the exchange we had about him being on his phone) and a cabbie cut across me in traffic. Neither were aware of me because neither was concentrating on driving. If not for my actions in avoiding them, I'd have had two pretty nasty accidents; both because of two morons that thought their usage of a phone was more important than the lives of pedestrians, cyclists, and fellow drivers.

If that person cared about keeping their job, they wouldn't chance being caught on their phone when driving. There's no excuse to be on it when driving. EVER. It is THEIR action that's cost them their employment, not mine.

Chief Broom

Veteran
In the Highlands theres hardly any coppers so car phone use is very very common. I see so many drivers on the phone anyone would think its legal....

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom