Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Queuing southbound down the A38 towards the M5 in the morning, there are many drivers who use it as an excuse to catch up on Facebook and such like. I could very well have a word with the local police about it.

Although when uniform are about, they will all be on their best behaviour and it really takes a cyclist's vantage point to catch these tools.

I'm not defending people using their mobiles, but this sort of attitude isn't helpful. Should motorists be working with Police to enforce action against cyclists who don't have reflectors on their bikes and pedals after dusk (as per highway code) ?

There's plenty of friction between motorists and cyclists already. 'Militant' cyclists trying to do the Police's job for them, and report any slight infraction will certainly not improve the situation. It probably won't help us with the Police either. If the Police are flooded with what appear to be malicious or petty reports, then they will have far less time or resources to follow up on the important ones, where cyclists are victims of aggressive/ dangerous driving.

This is important to me because I have been such a victim. I don't really give a stuff if somebody is on their phone, if it does not in any way endanger me, just as I don't care that the gits who assaulted me were not on a phone. Let's focus on what really matters.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm not defending people using their mobiles, but this sort of attitude isn't helpful. Should motorists be working with Police to enforce action against cyclists who don't have reflectors on their bikes and pedals after dusk (as per highway code) ?

There's plenty of friction between motorists and cyclists already. 'Militant' cyclists trying to do the Police's job for them, and report any slight infraction will certainly not improve the situation. It probably won't help us with the Police either. If the Police are flooded with what appear to be malicious or petty reports, then they will have far less time or resources to follow up on the important ones, where cyclists are victims of aggressive/ dangerous driving.

This is important to me because I have been such a victim. I don't really give a stuff if somebody is on their phone, if it does not in any way endanger me, just as I don't care that the gits who assaulted me were not on a phone. Let's focus on what really matters.

When I am filtering past all these cars and they are drifting about unpredictably then I perceive mobile phone abuse to be a problem. I don't think I'm being especially militant when, if I see someone paying less attention to the road than they should for my & others' safety, I ask them to mend their ways.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I am filtering past all these cars and they are drifting about unpredictably then I perceive mobile phone abuse to be a problem. I don't think I'm being especially militant when, if I see someone paying less attention to the road than they should for my & others' safety, I ask them to mend their ways.
I agree, if I see a car being driven in a slightly haphazard way, the first instinct is to look to see if a phone is the root cause!

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I agree, if I see a car being driven in a slightly haphazard way, the first instinct is to look to see if a phone is the root cause!

Interesting one. So if it's haphazard because it's an elderly person it's Ok then? Or if it's somebody who is just a little lost? It seems, that what you're saying is that you will judge and report people based on your prejudice.

Again, I'm not defending mobile phone use whilst driving, and I'm totally in favour of reporting DANGEROUS driving. Just saying, it's not for us to impose our judgement on drivers, any more than it is for them to judge us based on whether we happen to be wearing helmets, or sporting reflectors.

Again, I refer you to the facts quoted in the link I posted. Is it possible that you will cause or have an accident based on paying more attention to trying to spot what drivers are doing in their car, when you should be focussed on what's ahead of and around you? Driver error causes two thirds of accidents whilst driving, and I suspect that 'rider error' accounts for a high number of cycling accidents too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Interesting one. So if it's haphazard because it's an elderly person it's Ok then? Or if it's somebody who is just a little lost? It seems, that what you're saying is that you will judge and report people based on your prejudice.

Again, I'm not defending mobile phone use whilst driving, and I'm totally in favour of reporting DANGEROUS driving. Just saying, it's not for us to impose our judgement on drivers, any more than it is for them to judge us based on whether we happen to be wearing helmets, or sporting reflectors.

Again, I refer you to the facts quoted in the link I posted. Is it possible that you will cause or have an accident based on paying more attention to trying to spot what drivers are doing in their car, when you should be focussed on what's ahead of and around you? Driver error causes two thirds of accidents whilst driving, and I suspect that 'rider error' accounts for a high number of cycling accidents too.
Err ... you don't get that many elderly people driving buses? And it was professional drivers who I consider reporting, others I don't bother, I'd spend all day reporting drivers if I reported all the dodgy driving I see, (or not even driving, today there is a car I pass that can't fit onto it's drive way so parks across the path, and that meant an elderly person in a buggy had to go on the road to pass, I might report that one as I've chatted to the policemen who covers that patch quite frequently and I think he would have a word with them, as they are a repeat offender!).

Anyone I see using a phone is not concentrating on the road, I've seen them weaving, or sitting at the lights even when all the cars in front have gone, or just stopped in the middle of the road. You aren't do using on the road therefore you are a danger to yourself and more importantly to all the other road users.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You imply that looking for drivers on their mobiles means you aren't focused on the road but I find that it's being aware of other road users and what they are doing helps to keep you safe so that you give more space to those who you know aren't paying attention.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Err ... you don't get that many elderly people driving buses? And it was professional drivers who I consider reporting, others I don't bother, I'd spend all day reporting drivers if I reported all the dodgy driving I see, (or not even driving, today there is a car I pass that can't fit onto it's drive way so parks across the path, and that meant an elderly person in a buggy had to go on the road to pass, I might report that one as I've chatted to the policemen who covers that patch quite frequently and I think he would have a word with them, as they are a repeat offender!).

Anyone I see using a phone is not concentrating on the road, I've seen them weaving, or sitting at the lights even when all the cars in front have gone, or just stopped in the middle of the road. You aren't do using on the road therefore you are a danger to yourself and more importantly to all the other road users.
I must be going blind or mind then, I can't see where you mentioned bus drivers!

Oh, and difficult to define not moving on the road as dangerous driving!

Anyway, not trying to wind anybody up here, just making the point that drivers aren't 'the enemy', and an antagonistic or aggressive approach towards them will only make the situation worse. A lot of drivers get really wound up about cyclists with head cams becoming self appointed judges of driving behaviour.

Again, I'm not 'on their side'. I'm just saying don't make the situation worse. I've been a victim of dangerous and aggressive driving, hence it's important to me that Police focus on the important cases, where the danger is severe, and/or injury has been done. Plus I'd rather we don't make the situation in the UK like it seems to be in Australia, with severe problems between drivers and cyclists.

Last edited:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
@bozmandb9 doesn't think illegal activity should be reported to the police.

I think the reporting mechanism should be used as intended, i.e. to report dangerous driving. Are you trolling by any chance? Please see my recent comments if not, and please stop if you are.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I think the reporting mechanism should be used as intended, i.e. to report dangerous driving. Are you trolling by any chance? Please see my recent comments if not, and please stop if you are.

Using a mobile phone whilst driving is a specific offence. Reporting mechanisms are in place to report crime, are they not?
Someone disagreeing with you != trolling.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
....It would be good if they would take camera evidence... At the moment the only ones I bother reporting are things like bus drivers.

I must be going blind or mind then, I can't see where you mentioned bus drivers!

Oh, and difficult to define not moving on the road as dangerous driving!

Anyway, not trying to wind anybody up here, just making the point that drivers aren't 'the enemy', and an antagonistic or aggressive approach towards them will only make the situation worse. A lot of drivers get really wound up about cyclists with head cams becoming self appointed judges of driving behaviour.

Again, I'm not 'on their side'. I'm just saying don't make the situation worse. I've been a victim of dangerous and aggressive driving, hence it's important to me that Police focus on the important cases, where the danger is severe, and/or injury has been done. Plus I'd rather we don't make the situation in the UK like it seems to be in Australia, with severe problems between drivers and cyclists.
If they aren't moving but suddenly look up realise the traffic in front has moved they set off and do things like go through red traffic lights. And yes I have seen that.

If they aren't moving but suddenly look up realise the traffic in front has moved they set off and do things like go through red traffic lights. And yes I have seen that.
This is true, but it's not what makes mobiles so dangerous. People used to do the same with a newspaper or magazine*. What makes mobiles especially dangerous is they way they ping and distract you while you are moving

*there was a joke old joke - Dave Allen or similar - saying if the guy in front of you is reading a newspaper in a traffic jam, sound your horn loudly and then watch him drive straight into the car in front.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here

That doesn't follow remotely. If however a driver goes through red lights, whatever the reason, that of course is dangerous driving, and worth reporting. Assuming he will do this as a consequence of looking at a mobile phone whilst stationary is an example of the potentially over zealous reporting I'm referring to.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Using a mobile phone whilst driving is a specific offence. Reporting mechanisms are in place to report crime, are they not?
Someone disagreeing with you != trolling.

It seemed like a somewhat bizarre post, and designed to antagonise, not recognising the point of my posts. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit as a driver? Have you witnessed drivers doing so? Do you report every incident of speeding? Have you witnessed cyclists jumping red lights? Have you taken a full description and reported it to the Police? Have you ever encountered illegal downloading or broadcast of copyright materials? Do you report each incident?

The point is, there are probably countless incidents of 'illegal activity' which we witness. If we did not exercise a modicum of discretion in reporting, we would waste a lot of our time, and the police systems would basically crash, preventing anybody from reporting more serious incidents which are more deserving of attention.

Top Bottom