Reporting Motorists - Helmet Cam Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Do we have a space in the forum for objective review of camera footage?

Most of us have been involved in near misses or incidents that have raised our blood pressure more than others. Some have managed to capture these on camera.

Sometimes the emotion we feel may be enhanced by other circumstances, and we need some outside perspective or a bit of calming down time - especially if we feel like we want to send that footage straight to the old bill.

I often see videos online of ‘close passes’ that paint the cyclist in a non-favourable light as much as the motorist. If this footage (often torn apart on social media) becomes commonplace, does it dilute the effect of the genuine incidents?

So is it worthwhile that as a community we have a space to review and critique ourselves, before submission to social media or to the authorities?

Obviously just for those of us who prefer validation. Not an actual mandatory approval hierarchy.

Thoughts?

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s an advocacy and cycling safety forum :okay:
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/advocacy-cycling-safety.18/

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And to add to that, cameras fixed to the bike which include some part of it for reference are better than a helmet cam for the police to gauge how close a pass is.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
If you are considering submitting footage to police then I wouldn’t submit footage online. Wait till you here the result back. Then decide whether to share online after.
Yes, seems sensible.

As may be obvious to guess I had a very close pass last week.

Still not sure whether reporting is the right thing to do. I just know it shook me up more than many others I’ve had… and I’ve had a fair few.

I think what irked me the most was that it didn’t seem accidental or careless. It was simply that there was simply no regard for me (a human) at all. I may as well have been a fly on the windscreen.

Sometimes the emotion we feel may be enhanced by other circumstances, and we need some outside perspective or a bit of calming down time - especially if we feel like we want to send that footage straight to the old bill.
Thoughts?

Perhaps show it to a partner or a friend who cycles, too, and get their opinion on how bad it was, or if they think you over-reacted? Even show it to several friends? I can see membership of a IRL cycling club or group being useful for that.

But if there's any possibility of it being used by the police, don't put it on social media until everything's done and dusted.

classic33

Leg End Member

Private Video
1628778002522.png

Top Bottom