Reporting road spills?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by longers, 15 Jan 2008.

  1. longers

    longers Veteran

    It's not something I've come across before and don't remember seeing it on here.

    I came across two patches of oil or diesel on my ride to work today. This stuff was slippy as my back wheel stepped out on one of them.

    Who would be best notified about these? Local council or Police? Would they do anything about them?
  2. fossyant

    fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

    South Manchester
    Not sure if they would do anything, but worth reporting to Highways Dept in the Council - they may sand it.

    I came off on spilt dairy produce - kid you not....... coming down off the Cat and Fiddle on a hot day (just shorts and top), doing at least 30, saw some white stuff trailed along the road - hit a patch on a corner and was off........ 6 inch square patch removed from my arse - no hair grows their any more.......:biggrin: I reported it though as it was lethal, whether anything was done, I don't know.
  3. Maz

    Maz Legendary Member

    I think I'd tell the council about it.
    I did just this about a water leak. No big deal to motorists, so they'd be unlikely to inform the council, but come the big freeze and it would've turned into a sheet of ice.

    ...then sue them for damages if you have a fall!
  4. goo_mason

    goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

    Leith, Edinburgh
    Do councils have any duty to grit the shared NCN cyclepaths / routes ? And could I sue them if I fell off and damaged myself & my bike after having reported the problem and asking them to grit it before someone has an accident ?

    Just curious....
  5. LLB

    LLB Guest

  6. Jacomus-rides-Gen

    Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

    Guildford / London
    E-mail to the local Police force is step 1. They will arange for it to be cleared up.
  7. gambatte

    gambatte Middle of the pack...

    S Yorks

    Someone decided to cut the fuel lines on a diesel Carlton I used to have. I'd just filled up £50 worth of diesel (at prices 10 years ago!) all over the road. Reported the vandalism to police and mentioned the spill. They said contact the firebrigade.

    No one came out
  8. LLB

    LLB Guest

    I've dialled 999 before now. Diesel spill can kill. they are indiscriminate of their targets. All are at risk who pass over them. They must attend if they have been notified - dereliction of duty and all that
  9. John the Monkey

    John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

    Not sure of the legalities Goo - Cheshire County Council do give their priorities for gritting/salting, and say of cycleways;
    They prioritise A roads, roads leading to hospitals, schools, emergency services locations etc, which seems fair enough.

    It might be worth looking up the info for your local borough - I'd imagine you get ice more often than we do down here.
  10. 02GF74

    02GF74 Über Member

    yep council or police. in the past I reported escaped sheep and stolen drain covers!!

    the worst case was when a lorry carrying sugar collided with one carry strawberries that I reported before it caused a jam.
  11. Tynan

    Tynan Veteran

    Supposedly diesel spills are dealt with, too may motorcyclists get into serious grief, enough people now sue to focus minds
  12. OP

    longers Veteran

    I had a good look at both patches today and the rain we've had seems to have washed them clean. I guess next time I'll tell both council and police to be on the safe side.
  13. Tynan

    Tynan Veteran

    it's most dangerous when it's fresh laid but thereafter it sinks into the tarmac, when it rains it floats up again, that's when it does the rainbows, nothing like a s dangerous then
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice