repositioning shifters without rewrapping the tape ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it possible ?
I am thinking the shifters on my commuter are a bit low on the drops so i was wondering if it possible just to unwrap the tape down to the bars and move them up so the drops have a better shape to them and then rewrap ?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 147

zacklaws

Guru
I do it all the time, if my bar tape starts looking as if its coming apart, I unwrap it to the shifter and then rewrap it again, same when I install a new gear cable into my SRAM shifters which is a pain in the butt, far easier to unwrap and rewrap the tape and a couple of months ago a shifter came loose and dropped down the bar somehow, the simple solution was unwrap the tape, reposition the shifter and tighten it followed by rewrapping the tape. To secure the tape, I just use any insulation tape I have handy.

But one point to note, try and memorise how the tape was wrapped around the shifter. even if it means taking some pictures.

U

User6179

The issue is i like the angle of the hoods but the shape of the bar means on the drops it not comfy as shown in the photo it feels like i need a bit more to hang onto

I don't think there is a fix for this , I like my bars like yours tilting up slightly but it means you end up not getting good position on the drops to reach the brakes , you end up bending your wrists to get the position better , If you move the shifters down then you might as well tilt the handlebars down as your position on the hoods will change anyway .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

But if you move the shifters up the bar.....then you will have even less to grip in the drops???? I'm confused.
Currently on those drops i am grabbing the very bottom in theri current rotation, the plan is to raise the shifters up the drops then rotate the bar down to give the same hood angle but with more of the drop level(er?) to give a better grip.

zacklaws

Guru
With you now, I has same problem on my cross bike and could only just work the brakes.......but I moved the shifters down the bar and then rotated them upwards so the angled backward parts of the drops were more angled vertical, it was only a very slight rotation too but made a big difference

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

aiming for more like this on my other roadie , i know this one has compact drops .
2014-03-30-12-37-47-jpg.41127.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-03-30-12-37-47-jpg.41127.jpg
    2014-03-30-12-37-47-jpg.41127.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 27

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe buy another pair of compacts, which is what I did to get both road bikes set up exactly the same, will be doing the same for the turbo bike as well.

screenman

Legendary Member
Its a thought but i was trying to do it without spending , kids swimming + dance classes aint cheap .

Think of it as an investment, when the kids are superstars they will be able to keep you in luxury, at least that was my plan. Did no all go to plan though, but they are great kids and were worth the investment. Ages now 41, 36 and 26

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Think of it as an investment, when the kids are superstars they will be able to keep you in luxury, at least that was my plan. Did no all go to plan though, but they are great kids and were worth the investment. Ages now 41, 36 and 26
My youngest will not be 18 till im 62 , the way schools. job markey and house prices are going i will be getting dole rent from them as my plan for luxury ;)

Top Bottom