Request for advice on the best bicycle GPS tracker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When cycling my wife wants to know where I am and she uses tracker information in conjunction with Google Earth to see those places. When I'm on cycling tours I have the best of both worlds; it is like she is with me without the nagging :smile:
I currently use a tracker shop device that fits into my saddle bag. The tracker is nearly 5 years old and sms credits that I buy annually are due to be renewed in January. So now is a good time to think about replacing my present tracker and would welcome your advice. Thanks - Joe 619171

SydZ

Über Member
What about using a Garmin linked to your phone? Your location can be shared via a unique link visible only to those you share it with?

si_c

Guru
SPOT trackers are generally the most commonly used trackers in cycling AFAUI but they are about £150 and need a service plan akin to a mobile phone contract which works out about £10-15 monthly.

I did think about getting something like this as Mrs C wants to know where I am if I'm out all day, but in the end I opted for Garmin LiveTrack from my cycle computer (also works from my Garmin Watch). It does use a small bit of power from my phone, but not much. The only issue is sometimes if I'm in North Wales the signal drops out a little bit and the tracker signal doesn't update, but it does refresh once it acquires signal again. If you ride in areas where phone signal is poor then a dedicated tracker is possibly worth it, otherwise I highly recommend a head unit/phone based tracking system.

The best thing is it works out of the box and doesn't require any additional payments.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pretty sure that most Android phones have location sharing. I think you need to turn it on, but then your partner can see where your phone is. Of course, if you leave it on a train this doesn't help much. DAMHIKT.

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

SPOT trackers are generally the most commonly used trackers in cycling AFAUI but they are about £150 and need a service plan akin to a mobile phone contract which works out about £10-15 monthly.

I did think about getting something like this as Mrs C wants to know where I am if I'm out all day, but in the end I opted for Garmin LiveTrack from my cycle computer (also works from my Garmin Watch). It does use a small bit of power from my phone, but not much. The only issue is sometimes if I'm in North Wales the signal drops out a little bit and the tracker signal doesn't update, but it does refresh once it acquires signal again. If you ride in areas where phone signal is poor then a dedicated tracker is possibly worth it, otherwise I highly recommend a head unit/phone based tracking system.

The best thing is it works out of the box and doesn't require any additional payments.
Very much so, the reason for my use of a tracker is that here in Snowdonia (Harlech) the signal strength for both Garmin and mobile telephones from all providers is patchy. Thank you for your advice

Alex321

Veteran
What about using a Garmin linked to your phone? Your location can be shared via a unique link visible only to those you share it with?
Wahoo have a similar function - they call it Live Track.

But maybe he doesn't want to splash out on a GPS bike computer.

si_c

Guru
Very much so, the reason for my use of a tracker is that here in Snowdonia (Harlech) the signal strength for both Garmin and mobile telephones from all providers is patchy. Thank you for your advice
Ah that makes perfect sense. Mrs C got a bit worried a couple of times when the live track showed me on the side of the road not moving for an extended period of time when I first started riding out to Betws-y-coed, took a while for her to relax and accept it would update eventually.

There are probably a few options for you, it may make sense to renew your existing service if you're happy with it and it's cost effective.

Baldy

Über Member
I have an inReach which works off satellites so no worries about losing signal. They're not cheap though.

They're owned by Garmin now but the service doesn't seem to have altered.

Top Bottom