Rescued from skip.. Moulton :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

Excellent find at the local recycle centre, I was chucking some bent frames in the metal skip and spotted a Moulton Standard buried under an old radiator and rusty car wheels, the skip master dragged it out, a bit rusty but straight and the wheels go round plus the Sturmey seems ok.
Will blow the tyres up tomorrow, set up the 4 speed and go for a pedal:biggrin:..
what a treat:tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Oooh, lucky.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Just been for a pedal on it, tyres stayed up and the gears work. It also boings up and down smoothly:biggrin: Unfortunately the saddle was full of water.....

A friend of mine spent an age and a fortune doing up a Moulton for his brother's 40th, took it for a test ride, rode gently off a kerb and the steerer failed. Worth checking before you go too far.

Isn't it nice when something like that happens?

dodgy

Beauty surely is in the eye of the beholder. But nice find, will be an interesting (though no doubt costly) project to restore it.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

mickle said:
A friend of mine spent an age and a fortune doing up a Moulton for his brother's 40th, took it for a test ride, rode gently off a kerb and the steerer failed. Worth checking before you go too far.

What part of the steering failed? Stem or forks and why? :ohmy: I had the steering go on a Chopper when I was a kid, 30 mph at the bottom of a hill, nasty, big elbow hurty:wacko::sad::cursing:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

A ha ,,, will have look at that before taking part in the xmas freewheel competition down the British Camp:biggrin: [ its big, its long and its 50 mph ]

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Actually it is not the first Moulton I have got from that tip, I had one about 15 years ago. It has been a bit of a gold mine of old bikes over the years, the best one possibly was a 40's New Hudson Racer in working order !

I have had a Viscount Aerospace, Peugeot 1960's tourer frame [ anyone fancy it it is for sale ] lots of granny bikes, the earliest going back to the 20's. Choppers, Grifters, 20's, and allsorts of odd folders, unicycles and numerous 531 framed bikes passed on to new homes. I only wish I could intercept all the treasure that goes to the scrappy...... my wife would blow her top, in a previous life I accumulated maybe 200 bikes and frames..... a mental illness but a harmless one:smile:

Current collection of odd stuff [complete bikes] not including "normal bikes"..
Moulton, 40's delivery bike, couple of 50's granny bikes, Fred Grubb tandem so fairly sane at the moment but I do have a 20'x12' shed so plenty of expanding room:tongue:

Top Bottom