Rescued from skip.. Moulton :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not only have you got a Moulton, but you've got a 4 speed changer, which I gather are like hen's teeth...

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Arch said:
Not only have you got a Moulton, but you've got a 4 speed changer, which I gather are like hen's teeth...

Blimey.... I have a large box of un-used ones in the shed....:biggrin:

only jesting ...

I bought some tyres and tubes from Spa Cycles [ 16 inch Primos are on offer at the moment.. ] .
Might try and do some tinkering on it tomorrow if we are snowed in.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Well, it has had its first outing round the lanes..... 35 miles...bloody hell that was hard work ;) .... nah, it was ok really, my mate twentysix by twentyfive was on his Holdsworth and seemed to enjoy beating me to every 30mph sign, something he struggles to do if I am on a bike with sensible big wheels:tongue: ...
Had a couple of mechanicals, the chain jumped off [ I have now bought a new one from my lovely friends at Chain Reaction, they sent me some sweeties:smile: ] and of course I had a p*nct*re just as the drizzle started and the sun went down:wacko: 1 inch thorn, no way anything would have stopped it skewering the tube, what a monster...

It now has drop bars and decent [Ultegra] chainset fitted... new chain and some good brakes will get fitted when I get the chance.

I did discover it is a bit out of track, probably having a pile of scrap metal dropped on it in the skip:ohmy: ....

Anyway, a most enjoyable experience.... do I have to do it again??? :angry:

They do seem to suffer from tracking issues, my Deluxe used to travel sideways and I've followed a couple of Moultons which were crabby. It's the rear swing-arm I think. Although (I've just remembered..) that the dishing was also well out on my back wheel. I remember wheel builders having trouble with 16" wheels because standard dishing tools are too big.

Some one in York was going through a metal skip at the council depo around 5 years ago and found a Brompton which had nothing wrong at all with it!!!! He told the police he had it and 30 days or what ever it is they told him he can keep it.

So it dose pay to be a skip bum

mickle said:
They do seem to suffer from tracking issues, my Deluxe used to travel sideways and I've followed a couple of Moultons which were crabby. It's the rear swing-arm I think. Although (I've just remembered..) that the dishing was also well out on my back wheel. I remember wheel builders having trouble with 16" wheels because standard dishing tools are too big.

you are right on that one

The last time I had to dish a 16" wheel I just taped some metal to the dishing tool. It worked but it was far from ideal.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

One thing I forgot about little wheels..... they like to get stuck in ruts, I got chucked on the road after the front wheel decided to follow a crack in the tarmac....
I think its going to be alrightttttttt,,, no its not.... hole in my knee, bruises and general wrenched limb attachments..The bike received a good scrapping on the road, the gear toggle got destroyed so had to ride 15 miles in top gear, thankfully not too hilly.. I have sent off for a claim form from the council, the hole-crack has been there for at least 2 years and probably has grass growing out of it. I suppose I ought to take some pics of it and ask the locals how long it has been there,, etc etc..
Oh well the Moulton was going fine up till then, new chain and sprocket so it had stopped making hideous noises and jumping off the cogs.
I have some spare toggle chain so will have to go in the shed and find it, does anyone know how to join the links on these things?

Don't think you split em bonk man. Sorry to hear about your off.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Do you really think they can't be split and joined? I have some unused bits that are not attached to the threaded bit... I was given a big box of Sturmey odds and ends and there was some lose chain links.
Maybe there is a special tool:laugh: no doubt it is loads of money on ebayyy:tongue:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

HAH HAAA...

from the Moulton club site "Most shops will inform you that the 4-speed rod and chain are obsolete: true, but they can remove your worn or broken chain and re-rivet one from a new, readily available, 3-speed. They can carefully pinch one of the little riveted chain links, replace the chain and re-rivet by splaying out a rivet head with a small punch."

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Ha haa.... went and did the Boxing Day 10 time trail on the Moulton.. it was hell and I didn't win , but hey.... I didn't crash:biggrin:

My time..... 32.50, I wasn't last though.

Top Bottom