Research Project: Where is the British e-Bike boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t_savez

Regular
2921nk3.jpg

I am writing an original thesis on understanding why the UK lags in e-Bike use compared to most other European nations. If the above applies, I would appreciate your participation :biggrin:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/R5X33ZJ

Kind regards!

T

(Survey will ask for age, gender, economic status and opinions on e-Bike).

Last edited:
OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
If you want to partake in an anonymised audio recorded interview to offer in-depth opinions, do feel free to PM me :smile:

Can't fill it in::sad:

I have no experience of e-bikes but I am asked what my experience level is. 'none' is not an option

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There is quite a growth in ebikes among the more elderly (especially where there are good segregated/shared facilities), strong uptake among caravan and motorhome users (often old and moneyed). But to spend a lot of dosh on an ebike you must reckon on getting a fair bit of usage - which is not common among UK peeps.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
Can't fill it in::sad:

I have no experience of e-bikes but I am asked what my experience level is. 'none' is not an option

Hello, the wording must not be clear as it does not require user experience, can be from viewing it in a shop etc! I have updated the question. Many thanks, please try again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
There is quite a growth in ebikes among the more elderly (especially where there are good segregated/shared facilities), strong uptake among caravan and motorhome users (often old and moneyed). But to spend a lot of dosh on an ebike you must reckon on getting a fair bit of usage - which is not common among UK peeps.

Just the case in the NL, though there is an attempt there to get the younger people involved too. Yes, there is a lack of e-Biking grant schemes etc that would to help overcome this as there are in Sweden, NL and other EU states. Thanks for this response!

BromptonChrispy

I see quite a few where I live. Some trikes and some with shopping trailers. They’ve bloody expensive though and (I guess) heavy to handle. Impressive turn of speed, though still vulnerable to non attentive idiots behind the wheel of a car.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
I see quite a few where I live. Some trikes and some with shopping trailers. They’ve bloody expensive though and (I guess) heavy to handle. Impressive turn of speed, though still vulnerable to non attentive idiots behind the wheel of a car.

It's interesting as they are mainly used by older people yet they are much heavier than a normal bike. Regarding the vulnerability, I think that's common in the UK, and has led to many foreign cyclists to alltogether stop cycling in the UK due to the lack of safety!

Thanks for your response!

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm starting to see quite a few in the Bristol and Bath area. I reckon maybe 5-10/day.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
I'm starting to see quite a few in the Bristol and Bath area. I reckon maybe 5-10/day.

Are these area 'hilly' or urban cities? I have never been, I am based in Manchester. And where they older people or young too?

D

Deleted member 26715

Cost, Cost & Cost are the 3 biggest reasons, we live in Rip-off Britain, an item that costs X in the EU or US often costs 2X over here.

rivers

How far can I go?
Are these area 'hilly' or urban cities? I have never been, I am based in Manchester. And where they older people or young too?

Bristol and Bath are not know for their flat terrain. However, especially with Bristol, it is pretty urban, being a city of around 500,000.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
Cost, Cost & Cost are the 3 biggest reasons, we live in Rip-off Britain, an item that costs X in the EU or US often costs 2X over here.

The British pound sterling has deterioted in value recently, I guess that is not helping. The UK cycling schemes/funding are not upto scratch either it appears.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
Bristol and Bath are not know for their flat terrain. However, especially with Bristol, it is pretty urban, being a city of around 500,000.

Thank you. Hmm, maybe the hilly terrain and the assistance the e-Bike provides has a positive correlation.

snorri

Legendary Member
One question asks 'Employment status' , following question asks 'mode of commuting'. People who have answered "Retired" to the initial question have no opt out from the second question:sad:. People who have retired may well do more travelling than those in employment.
I had a short trial run on an ebike at a demonstration day, but don't know anyone who owns one and have never seen one in my locality.
We have become such an idle car dependent population in the UK that it is unlikely that many non cyclists will buy an electro assist, although they may encourage older cyclists to keep pedalling for longer.
If we want to encourage cycling, improved infrastructure will do more than electro assist to achieve that aim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom