Research Project: Where is the British e-Bike boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thuis is a very interesting thread for those of us outside of the UK. Stuttgart is hilly and rich so we have a massive number of E-bikes. Where my son will be working from Sept they only sell ebikes now, and those start in four figures.

Oddly enough I also know one of the managers on the Bosch E-bike project and she tells me busines is exploding

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry, gave up at Q3. I'm self-employed, there is no option for that.
I also work at home. As I cannot see further questions until I've answered earlier ones, I'm wondering if you have included that option too - i.e. I do not commute at all.

D

Deleted member 23692

I wonder how many people have done this rather than buying an e-Bike outright, hmm.
I have :smile:

I mixed a new frame, an old hub geared bike and a crank drive motor setup (imported from the factory in China), and made this...

eAlfine front (Custom).jpeg

It's my commuter, utility, pub bike etc and does the job perfectly.

I'm not retired, but no far off

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
Thuis is a very interesting thread for those of us outside of the UK. Stuttgart is hilly and rich so we have a massive number of E-bikes. Where my son will be working from Sept they only sell ebikes now, and those start in four figures.

Oddly enough I also know one of the managers on the Bosch E-bike project and she tells me busines is exploding

I am a German national, from my research the Germans are right up there with the Dutch in terms of popularity!

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
Sorry, gave up at Q3. I'm self-employed, there is no option for that.
I also work at home. As I cannot see further questions until I've answered earlier ones, I'm wondering if you have included that option too - i.e. I do not commute at all.

Ah shoot, terrible oversight, the 'not employed, not looking for work' clearly is not a good describer. I have added a '/self-employed' tag to it now, hopefully you can try again. In regards to second question, the question alternatively asks what is your main method of travel.

Many thanks!

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
I have :smile:

I mixed a new frame, an old hub geared bike and a crank drive motor setup (imported from the factory in China), and made this...

View attachment 423333

It's my commuter, utility, pub bike etc and does the job perfectly.

I'm not retired, but no far off

I have a question:

How easy or hard is it to turn your normal bike into a e-Bike?

Could end up savings a lot of £££'s if the E-Bike is not all that different for real cycling enthusiasts.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There are a large number of e mountain bikes in the pusteral valley in Sud Tirol. Maybe 90% of the bikes you will see. I think many are hire bikes. The hire price is €20 per day compared with €12 a day for a standard mtn bike.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ah shoot, terrible oversight, the 'not employed, not looking for work' clearly is not a good describer. I have added a '/self-employed' tag to it now, hopefully you can try again. In regards to second question, the question alternatively asks what is your main method of travel.

Many thanks!
Seems very odd way of doing it (although I suppose if you put a new option in it spoils your existing results). It kind of implies that self-employed people are not actually working. As I said, I work at home (bashing a keyboard), but I could equally well be a self-employed plumber with a van, travelling to various places to work each day.

Done

D

Deleted member 23692

I have a question:

How easy or hard is it to turn your normal bike into a e-Bike?.
It's quite simple with the bits I used (TSDZ2 motor), and should take the average home bike mechanic just a couple of hours using basic bike tools.
  • The battery fixes to the down tube using the bottle cage bosses - 2 bolts.
  • The motor assembly replaces the bottom bracket (standard 68/73 British thread)
  • Then put the display on the handlebars and put the speed sensor on the chain stay and magnet on the spokes
  • Finally connect the three cables to the battery unit - 1 to the motor, one to the display and one to the speed sensor
And apart from normal bike fettling, that is all there is to it :smile:

The motor I used has a torque sensor so doesn't need to have the motor cutoff switches wired into the brake levers, so that's 2 less cables to play with, so it's a simpler/tidier job.

Cost was £295 delivered for the motor kit from China (via Germany) to my door. The battery (36v 14Ah with Panasonic cells) was sourced in the UK for £275.

D

Deleted member 23692

Cheers :thumbsup:

I used PSWPower's shop on Aliexpress... and selected the UPS delivery option (as instructed). The motor arrived within a week(ish), dispatched from Germany with no extra to pay. Going by all the documentation/labels etc I assume PSW have a warehouse in Germany and dispatch EU orders from there.

Battery was UK Sourced, from here - http://www.eclipsebikes.com/ But they've gone up in price since I bought mine :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 23692

Forgot to ask, what brakes did you use.

Thanks
Levers and calipers are Shimano M395 (super cheap, reliable and bombproof) but I don't like the stamped rotors that came with them so they got swapped for SLX ones (RT66) - 180 front, 160 rear.

Top Bottom