Research Project: Where is the British e-Bike boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It would appear the idea that electric bikes are for everyonehas not really sunk in with you yet. You say "there is a potential" In Denmark its not a potential It a fact. We have moved on from just e bikes being popular to e cargo bikes being popular. They are used for all sorts of deliveries. They are vey popular with child minders who ride round with thd children in them.
Maybe you should visit Denmark and see it for yourself.
I think @t_savez is talking in a UK context.

There's an image problem with cycling in the UK. If you ask someone in this country to describe a cyclist, you'll end up with a picture of a man in lycra and a helmet, riding head-down on a road bike with no luggage or guards. It's seen as a sport rather than a mode of transport.

We're accidentally about to conduct an interesting experiment at my work over the next few months though. Due to car parking issues at the (very large but rurally located) site I work at, we are severely restricting car access to the site. This is going to impact around 10,000 people. At the same time we are promoting our annual cycle to work scheme at the moment, and pointing out that this includes e-bikes.

I have heard from our new, local e-bike shop that there's been a lot of interest. I am looking forward to seeing if that is followed up by a significant number of drivers changing to e-bikes as their bikes arrive. If so, I think it will be a good example of how you will make bikes or e-bikes more popular, if they become the most convenient way of getting to the places people want to go.

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
I think @t_savez is talking in a UK context.

There's an image problem with cycling in the UK. If you ask someone in this country to describe a cyclist, you'll end up with a picture of a man in lycra and a helmet, riding head-down on a road bike with no luggage or guards. It's seen as a sport rather than a mode of transport.

We're accidentally about to conduct an interesting experiment at my work over the next few months though. Due to car parking issues at the (very large but rurally located) site I work at, we are severely restricting car access to the site. This is going to impact around 10,000 people. At the same time we are promoting our annual cycle to work scheme at the moment, and pointing out that this includes e-bikes.

I have heard from our new, local e-bike shop that there's been a lot of interest. I am looking forward to seeing if that is followed up by a significant number of drivers changing to e-bikes as their bikes arrive. If so, I think it will be a good example of how you will make bikes or e-bikes more popular, if they become the most convenient way of getting to the places people want to go.

I was yes :smile:

That sounds interesting, especially as it will give an indication of what motorists will choose as their next best alternative, which highly depends on the distance to and from their home.

How important do you feel are cycle to work schemes as an employee?

OP
OP
t_savez

t_savez

Regular
I got a total of 135 participants over August, which is more than I expected. I have submitted my thesis, thank you all for helping. The following results from the survey are shown plus some interesting further analysis, but the conclusions to be drawn from this information to answer the research question should be carefully interpreted.

Attachments

• fig.JPG
    fig.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 45
  • fig1.JPG
    fig1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 46
  • fig2.JPG
    fig2.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 45
  • fig3.JPG
    fig3.JPG