Resistance slipping when out the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frogdr1ver

Has anyone tried to use bungee cord or similar to keep the back wheel firmly on the trainer when you get out the saddle? Not on about putting huge amounts of force, just enough to try and stop it slipping. Or any other suggestions?

bobinski

Legendary Member
on my bkool pro i found changing to a grippier tyre combined with 120-140psi and using front tyre support made a big difference to frequency of tyre slippage. Also, i changed my technique for when i do get out of the saddle , shifting weight back a little, seems to help whilst not impacting too much, if at all, on the power. I wont look like contador but then i don't climb like him!

OP
OP
frogdr1ver

frogdr1ver

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'd noticed shifting my weight back did help a fair bit. I'm using a tacx turbo tyre at around 120psi ish, what tyre are you using? One thing it is good for is keeping well balanced when out the saddle as ive got the classic which can wobble if you forget! Do you use the standard riser block is that what you mean by front tyre support?

g00se

Veteran
Is it the early classic with the 'rubber' roller - or the later one with the knurled metal roller like the one in the pro?

OP
OP
frogdr1ver

frogdr1ver

to be fair its not that bad, just wondered if anyone had done any mods to reduce it. Obviously the best and probably only way is to use a direct drive turbo but thats a lot more money and im quite impressed with the classic.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply, yeah I'd noticed shifting my weight back did help a fair bit. I'm using a tacx turbo tyre at around 120psi ish, what tyre are you using? One thing it is good for is keeping well balanced when out the saddle as ive got the classic which can wobble if you forget! Do you use the standard riser block is that what you mean by front tyre support?
Standard riser and a continental tyre. Darn, forget which one. It's quite sticky. Will check and let you know

Continental Ultra Sport II Wire Bead Road Tyre - 700c - Black / 700c / 25mm
£12 at Merlin. Works for me

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I wonder what the benefit is of getting out of the saddle on a turbo-trainer.

OP
OP
frogdr1ver

frogdr1ver

Its not for the benefit but i'm not the greatest on long hills (the joys of living in Lincolnshire), so when i feel like my thighs are about to pop it gives them some relief. Hopefully wont need to when the 11/28 cassette turns up.

Alfie_Gooner

Has anyone tried to use bungee cord or similar to keep the back wheel firmly on the trainer when you get out the saddle? Not on about putting huge amounts of force, just enough to try and stop it slipping. Or any other suggestions?
I have had the same issue last weekend when tackling Ventoux, because it was such a long climb, i needed to get out the saddle just to give my arse a rest for a bit, but as i am only 10 stone wet though as soon as i get off the saddle the back wheel was slipping. It took a bit of "Spinning style hovering" to stop it slipping, now the hovering is great for core strength work but after 1 and a half hours of climbing not really what i wanted..... i was thinking of the bungee chord idea just so that enough resistance is put onto the roller when i am out of the saddle.

OP
OP
frogdr1ver

frogdr1ver

I did try the bungee cord on it but found that due to the hinge where the unit connects to the stand, rather than pull the wheel onto the roller it kind of lifted the whole unit up so didnt bother in the end.

Alfonzo

I had the same problem out of the saddle loses power and causes the tyre to slip, so a couple of weeks
ago I bought a pair of cambuckle straps from screwfix for £8.99, I have my trainer on a wooden board
about 1cm thick, I use one strap which goes underneath the board and around the trainer over the
release lever, the first time I used the strap I sat on my bike and had the strap tightened to that resistance
to make sure I didnt over tighten it, then marked it with a pen so I can release the tension when I finish and
tighten it to the same tension next time I use it this way the resistance on the trainer is pretty much always going to
be the same as when Im sat on the saddle even when standing, I found this helped with tyre slippage and
also seems to stop power loss.

Top Bottom