Respect for the Fallen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I travel all over the country fixing things.
I have noticed, everywhere from Edinburgh to Penzance, how many people of all ages are still wearing Poppies.
Usually enamel ones, although in a few cases the paper ones still.
I asked one of the staff at Haymarket Depot why she had one on her hi-vis jacket.
She replied " 1day a year is not enough to remember all those that have fallen " .... lump in the throat moment for me it was.
A young woman with an older outlook ?

Do any of you still wear a poppy ?
My wife wears hers on her hand bag all year round and has for a couple of years.
I've put mine back on the lapel of my work jacket as a result of the encounter with the Lady in Edinburgh.
I feel it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Do any of you still wear a poppy ?
Yep

Smudge

Veteran
I have a poppy wristband that lives on the handlebar brake reservoir on my motorcycle all year round. I also attend Weston bike night every week throughout the summer, which has been going and run by the British Legion since 2008 and raises many thousands every year for the poppy appeal.
Yet to find out if it will still be going this year after the recent closure of the Weston branch of the BL.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have respect but don't feel the need to 'show' my respect by wearing a poppy.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wear a poppy around remembrance time. Most years I also, during this time, have to give presentations or speeches to an international audience. Every year, without fail, people from outside of the UK approach me and ask about the red flower, what it means, why am I wearing it. It gives me the opportunity to talk about remembrance for all who have served and sacrificed in all conflicts but also to tell the story of the poppy and the fields of Belgium in the first world war. Given that it is such an entrenched tradition in the UK I was initially surprised that it wasn't known at all elsewhere, even in neighbouring countries. However now I expect to be asked and welcome the opportunity to discuss it, and the overt poppy-wearing facilitates this.

Top Bottom