Respect for the Fallen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have one on a small metal clip. I wear it on my coat zip puller at remembrance time, and transfer it to my ukulele strap if we play any gigs around that time. I use the same poppy each year, but pop some money into the collection tin each November.

I will donate, but don't take a poppy or wear one. Not helped by the fact that I have a cat who eats the paper ones, who is incidentally called Poppy... :whistle:

Remembrance is important (am an army brat on both sides of the family - mum, dad, grandfathers and uncles and great uncles) but IMHO far too much is made of it these days, and it seems to have been hijacked by certain segments of society for political and ideological purposes.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wear a paper one in November, a few days before 'poppy Sunday' up till the 11th of the month. I put a plastic/wooden one on my dad's grave for the same length of time. I have a poppy appeal sticker in my car,on the rear screen. I think wearing one/them all year round is overkill,but i can understand and accept why some do.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
While its good to remember those who gave their lives for freedom etc, it does get a bit obsessive at times and I feel that its continually looking back at the past rather than moving forwards. Reynard is right, some have hijacked it to make political points. Farage and his ilk used war references to condition people into thinking we're at war with the EU.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This year's poppy appeal supposedly started yesterday. I haven't seen any for sale today, How about you? I bought this one for my mutt the other week, but so far I haven't seen any for humans. 🤔

nc_ohc=1L6eWof5mOQAX8FWBG9&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

What date is Poppy Appeal?

Static points unmanned (Poppy Boxes in shops) 22nd October to poppy day 14th November 2023. Static points Manned (collectors outside supermarkets e.g. M&S ,Tesco/Lidl's) on dates given by the store.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I still haven't seen any collection tins or boxes with poppies, pins, crosses with poppies on etc yet. The local British Legion were asking for volunteer poppy sellers on a local Facebook page the other day, when they've always had quite a few ex military sellers near the door of supermarkets etc. I also remember about 3 years ago when the British Legion didn't put those crosses with poppies on, on graves in the local cemetery stating that they couldn't afford to put them on all the military service graves any more, so local school children made and painted or crayoned paper poppies on 'lolly stick' crosses for the service graves.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s still a bit early. Very few people are going to wear a poppy for 3 weeks. Have the BBC presenters started wearing them yet?
My dad is a volunteer seller at the local train station. He never starts until the end of October.
Just because the poppy appeal start on 22/10 doesn’t mean the volunteers must sell them from that date.
In reality most people only get involved a week beforehand.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It’s still a bit early. Very few people are going to wear a poppy for 3 weeks. Have the BBC presenters started wearing them yet?
My dad is a volunteer seller at the local train station. He never starts until the end of October.
Just because the poppy appeal start on 22/10 doesn’t mean the volunteers must sell them from that date.
In reality most people only get involved a week beforehand.

The official wearing of poppies ends after Sunday the 12th of November which is 17 days away. Yet there's still no sign of poppies for sale, or BBC presenters wearing them. 🤔

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
IMG_2250.jpeg

And when you do get to buy one it might be made of paper. Although some plastic ones are still on sale from legacy stocks.
I await the calls from the usual parts of the Press about the British Legion going woke with their new plastic free poppy.

Top Bottom