Rest day food intake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
Brace yourself, there's a bit of a lead in, stick with me as advice would be greatly appreciated.

A typical cycling week for me involves commuting every day (80miles a week), chaingang on Tuesday (ca 43miles), a 30miler on my own on Thursday, clubrun on sunday (65-80miles) and an occassional ouing on a saturday. Obviously this adds up. SO this week I was out on the chainy when I just didn't have the power to push over a hill and got dropped. No problem, they all race and I'm pretty new to the chainy scene. However, I shouldn't have been dropped where I was, I normally have the power so I put it down to over training and needing a rest. I checked my diary and saw I'd ridden 11 days straight and 21 out of the last 24 days. As I'm not in the office this week I decided to rest for at least 3 days.

Now, food. I have a healthy, cyclists appetite. And I eat good food (fruit, veg, cook from scratch, not much fatty stuff etc). When I'm riding, I find my body doesn't want to eat unhealthy stuff and also stops me overeating/eating for the sake of it. The first thing I noticed in this rest phase is that I didn't need my mid morning snacks (sandwich and fruit). BUT, after lunch I become an eating machine unable to stop myself-furit, cake, biscuits, toast, puddings).

So, the questions are: is this typical of you guys? Is my body just taking a chance to fill up on what it's been missing? Should I be paying close attention to what I'm eating in this period?

I'll be back on the bike this weekend and, FWIW, I'm 29, a lean 5'9'' and about 62/3 kgs so I'm not concerned about putting weight on, I'm just interested in how my body is refuelling itself.

TIA

pjm

Yes this is perfectly normal. If you want to do a serious 'calories in - calories out' assessment to check you are eating the righ amount, then you'd do it based on a weekly calorie intake/expenditure rather than a daily one. It goes without saying that some days you will eat more and some days you will train more, trying to balance your intake/expenditure on any one day is not necessarily any more sensible than trying to balanc it out in any one given hour. Of course that is subject to a degree of common sense, starving yourself for 2 days then spending the next day stuffing your face with pork pies is clearly not a sensible strategy.

Top Bottom