Restoration of a Frame.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B1LLY87

First off, Hello. I'm new here, well a new member anyway. I started looking into getting a Road Bike last year and have been ever present on here since.

The issue at hand;

When I was looking into getting a Bike I decided that I would build one from scratch as I didn't have the money straight up to get a new decent first bike.

I ended up buying a Specialized Allez Frame with a few "minor" bumps and scratches, turned out the scratches were but the bumps a little more than minor. Since then I have purchase a brand new road bike, Vitus Alios, which was in the CRC sale from £750 down to £300. I'm loving going on this but because this frame is here I want to restore it, which is where you lot come in.

Would it be advisable to fill in these bumps and then sand the whole frame down and re-spray it? Or would it be pointless. I've had a browse of the internet but can't seem to find anything that answeres the question.

Billy

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd say pointless, for the time and cost you could probably buy a new frame. That's ignoring the fact that this may no longer be structurally sound.

tyred

Legendary Member
What type of "bumps" are we talking about here?

If the frame isn't distorted or compromised structurally, I would just build it up and ride it the way it is. A bike won't go any faster just because it's shiny.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

The main one is in the Top Tube, good sized dent but there's not a twist in the Frame or anything along those sort of lines.

I know it won't go any quicker if it's nice and shiny, I was just going to do it up in my spare time as a sort of Project.

The problem with a good bang that has caused the dent is that it will have put a great deal of force through the joins with the head tube and seat tube - I'd personally bin the frame but at the very least take a close look at these and also inspect the dented area for cracks.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

I've actually went out this morning and had a look at the Frame, it's been a while since I have. The dent is alot smaller than I first remember. It doesn't actually seem as bad as what i've made out in my OP. It's probably as big as a thumbnail.

Should be ok then Billy - being a lazy sod I would dab a bit of paint over the scratches,fill in the dent and seal it,and then pop a couple of transfers over the area to cover the repair and provide a bit of symmetry to the looks.These can be sealed with a bit of nail varnish.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

Nice one. Thanks for everyones help. Appreciated.

Billy

redjedi

Über Member
tyred said:
A bike won't go any faster just because it's shiny.

B1LLY87 said:
I know it won't go any quicker if it's nice and shiny, I was just going to do it up in my spare time as a sort of Project.

Don't listen to him Billy.

My bike goes a lot faster when it's clean and shiny.
It might be a bit of a slog home tonight after this morning wet ride :wacko:;)

Top Bottom