Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
RIP Darius

Well yes, indeed.

Slick

Guru
Yeah cos we are the problem. :sad:
IMG-20220816-WA0001.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reckon Grant Shapps never learned to ride a bike because his mum didnt want him to scape his knees, and as a consequence was bullied rotten at school. its the only logical explanation for this bollocks. fortunately the incidents of cyclist seriously hurting or injuring pedestrians through excessive speed or being pissed (sure drink "ride" limits were mentioned somewhere) or anything else for that matter are very rare indeed.

Motorised vehicles are the biggest risk by far to pedestrians.

Maybe all horse should have number plates?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sledgehammer to crack a nut. It’ll never happen. Cyclists are now a powerful group so the there will be a huge backlash.
How will it be enforced? Will there be a special roads division with coppers on bikes with flashing lights to pull over miscreants? Will bikes be seized if riders don’t have the correct documents? it’s too comical to contemplate.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sledgehammer to crack a nut. It’ll never happen. Cyclists are now a powerful group so the there will be a huge backlash.
How will it be enforced? Will there be a special roads division with coppers on bikes with flashing lights to pull over miscreants? Will bikes be seized if riders don’t have the correct documents? it’s too comical to contemplate.

The purpose is not to make it happen.

It's to generate support through stoking hatred of an out group.

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, this has been the prime strategy of government for over a decade.

al78

Guru
Can't vouch for the truth given it is Yahoo but more fuel for the anti-cyclist brigade:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/grant-shapps-considering-creating-20mph-010013451.html

"Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has flagged changing road laws so cyclists have to abide by 20mph speed limits or face penalties.

Less than a fortnight after vowing to create a “death by dangerous cycling” law that will treat killer cyclists the same as motorists, Mr Shapps said he wanted to stop certain behaviour on the roads.

The Welwyn Hatfield MP told the Daily Mail: “Somewhere where cyclists are actually not breaking the law is when they speed, and that cannot be right, so I absolutely propose extending speed limit restrictions to cyclists."

“Particularly where you’ve got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists.

“That obviously does then lead you into the question of: ‘Well, how are you going to recognise the cyclist? Do you need registration plates and insurance? And that sort of thing.’

“So I’m proposing there should be a review of insurance and how you actually track cyclists who do break the laws.”

So @al78 - are you with the cats or the pigeons?

GilesM

Legendary Member
Think about it, it's not going to happen, there has been quite a bit of stuff about 20mph speed limits in towns and villages in the news recently, and people have asked a logical question as to how will this work with cyclists, and will the limit be enforced for cyclists, Mr S has just come out with a bit of ill thought out stuff (politicians do that) in answer to a simple question. The irony is that we have had 20mph speed limits in most towns and villages up here for a couple of years now, and I don't think the new limit is enforced anywhere, the only fixed speed camera I know of that is now in a 20mph limit (heading south on the A68 opposite the Coop/petrol station in Lauder) has been covered since the new limit was introduced.

Sharky

Guru
I'm sure I read many many years ago that cyclists cannot be prosecuted for breeching speed limits as they do not have speedometers as a compulsory component on their bicycle. So no way of knowing what speed they are traveling at.

There are other legal loopholes that can be used (riding furiously etc), but not specifically for speeding.

Not sure if today's bike computers displaying current speed might invalidate this theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom