Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Pedestrian hospitalized by bicycle number plate"
Yesterday, an ambulance was called to take pensioner Fred Dumbledy to A&E with a nast cut to his leg. A cyclist passing on the mixed use cycle pedestrian crossing clipped the pensioner with the edge of his newly installed number plate. Minister Grant Shapps said " we expect quite a few of these inuries until cyclists and pedestrians get used to the thin metal number plates sticking out from bicycles.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Yesterday, an ambulance was called to take pensioner Fred Dumbledy to A&E with a nast cut to his leg. A cyclist passing on the mixed use cycle pedestrian crossing clipped the pensioner with the edge of his newly installed number plate. Minister Grant Shapps said " we expect quite a few of these inuries until cyclists and pedestrians get used to the thin metal number plates sticking out from bicycles.

I think we will need the old style front mudguard ones motorbikes used to have.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I wonder, if it ever happens..., whether you will be able to get personalised plates?
B 0 NK
CR 4 NK

NUD15T.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
I'm sure I read many many years ago that cyclists cannot be prosecuted for breeching speed limits as they do not have speedometers as a compulsory component on their bicycle. So no way of knowing what speed they are traveling at.

There are other legal loopholes that can be used (riding furiously etc), but not specifically for speeding.

Not sure if today's bike computers displaying current speed might invalidate this theory.

There is no requirement to have such a computer on your bike.

The current law specifies "motor vehicles" in the speeding section, which is why it doesn't apply to bikes. Shapps appears to be proposing to change that so it includes bicycles.

But the odds are he won't be transport minister any more after next month, and he is most likely well aware of the practical difficulties in attempting to change this. It WOULD require some form of visible identification, which most existing bikes don't have the capability of carrying. It would probably also require bikes to have an operative speed indicator of some sort.

This is just an attention seeking statement by him, hoping to gain enough visibility to have some ministerial post under whoever becomes the new PM.

markemark

Über Member
I'm sure I read many many years ago that cyclists cannot be prosecuted for breeching speed limits as they do not have speedometers as a compulsory component on their bicycle. So no way of knowing what speed they are traveling at.

Although the story is just nonsense and come to nothing, the lack of speedometer would not be a barrier any more than the lack of alcohol detectors in cars stop there being legal limits as to when you can drive or not.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
But speed cameras will not be able to see those.

And many modern road bikes don't have the capability to take mudguards to fit them on :smile:

Maybe a bar code tattooed on our foreheads after we pass the highway code test and show our insurance papers?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You jest but this was why front number plates on motorbikes were removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom