Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Although the story is just nonsense and come to nothing, the lack of speedometer would not be a barrier any more than the lack of alcohol detectors in cars stop there being legal limits as to when you can drive or not.

Not at all. Motorists have most definitely been able to overturn speeding tickets when, for example, it can’t be established that the speed camera was set up properly. It is a quantifiable matter. There is also a legally mandated leeway on speeding offences of a couple of miles per hour in recognition if the fact that speedometers may vary. Which means you’d be looking at 22 or 23mph before you could get fined - which is really hauling it.

i suspect a lot of people who imagine they are seeing a recklessly fast cyclist are seeing somebody doing 16-18mph

Drinking is entirely different. You know when you’ve been drinking. It’s a risk you take, or not.

markemark

Über Member
To be fair, a 20 mph limit is there for (you'd hope) a good reason, near a school, a particually dangerous spot for whatever reason. A cyclist has no more moral or legal right to break that speed limit than a car, lorry, bus or anything else. To do so would deserve condemnation.

But the reality is, 95% of cyclist couldnt or wouldnt break that speed limit (some of us do actually have common sense) so its a bit of clickbait, a diversion, pandering to a audience, whatever...as soon as you start to regulate cyclists, many of them will either disappear (stop cycling) or ignore the regulation (in whatever form, licencing, plates etc) ...and nothing good will be achieved.

If you did regulate, how would you enforce ? Police officers with speed cameras ? They can't even make a dent in scooter riders on the road :laugh:...as DanBo says...
The 20mph limit does little to stop the number of crashes. It does however , do a lot to limit the severity of any crash. As the severity of being hit by a cyclist is negligible compared to a car it make little sense to make cyclists follow the same speed limit.

A more logical approach would be momentum. As cars weigh about 20times that of a cyclist we should be able to cycle at 400mph… something I can only do on my road bike.

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
Not at all. Motorists have most definitely been able to overturn speeding tickets when, for example, it can’t be established that the speed camera was set up properly. It is a quantifiable matter. There is also a legally mandated leeway on speeding offences of a couple of miles per hour in recognition if the fact that speedometers may vary. Which means you’d be looking at 22 or 23mph before you could get fined - which is really hauling it.

i suspect a lot of people who imagine they are seeing a recklessly fast cyclist are seeing somebody doing 16-18mph

Drinking is entirely different. You know when you’ve been drinking. It’s a risk you take, or not.

That tolerance is being nice to the poor motorist. You not being able to measure the limit does not mean the limit exists. There are legal limits for blood alcohol. Your car cannot measure it. But the limit is stilll there. It was suggested that cars have it built in, ie car not worky if over the limit. Never brought in as it’ll give some people a target, ie ooh I can have another pint as I’m fine.

The 20mph limit does little to stop the number of crashes. It does however , do a lot to limit the severity of any crash. As the severity of being hit by a cyclist is negligible compared to a care it make little sense to make cyclists follow the same speed limit.

A more logical approach would be momentum. As cars weigh about 20times that of a cyclist would should be able to cycle at 400mph…

Well put. HGVs have extra limitations over cars - for good reason. See also: planes, tractors, etc etc ...

And we don't have special laws for every situation that kills about 1 person every 2 years (accidentally).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom