Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Ministerial level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How would I fit a front number plate to a tadpole trike? The rear could be the same as a bike but the front is different.
How about wheelchairs and mobility scooters as well?
I do already have insurance but compulsion on helmets and number plates is a step too far.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sadly this is the inevitable flip side of greater numbers and infrastructure. The more cyclists there are the more annoyed the vocal drivers will be as their priority is eroded. It was never going to be welcomed. As cycling increases more and more expect the minority who are fuming at this to become louder and louder as their space becomes less and less. Think of then as loud mouth racists, to be ignored.

Interesting point you make @markemark

I saw Groningen in the Netherlands make the transition from a city congested with cars and lorries to one where the cyclist is clearly dominant.

At first there was a period of great anger as infrastructure changes made car usage less convenient, but as the number of cyclists and walkers increased there gradually became an acceptance that motor vehicles are limited in various ways. The anger passed as a new reality took hold.

Let's hope we can get there in more of the UK.

PK99

Legendary Member

I saw Groningen in the Netherlands make the transition from a city congested with cars and lorries to one where the cyclist is clearly dominant.

At first there was a period of great anger as infrastructure changes made car usage less convenient, but as the number of cyclists and walkers increased there gradually became an acceptance that motor vehicles are limited in various ways. The anger passed as a new reality took hold.

Good luck with that. Groningen neatly fits into a 4mile diameter circle and is dead flat

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I think so. It's funny how news and current affairs is allowed when it's something that we as cyclists are likely to agree on. :whistle:

It's never been in news and current affairs though. It started in General Chat and later moved to Advocacy and Cycling Safety.

Yes! I think in the long run these things always work out well :smile:

When UK motorists holiday in Bruge, or Amsterdam (or Venice!!), do they bemoan the peaceful safe streets??
No: they universally love it. The memory wears off too quickly, of course ...

D

Deleted member 26715

I think so. It's funny how news and current affairs is allowed when it's something that we as cyclists are likely to agree on. :whistle:
It's never been in news and current affairs though. It started in General Chat and later moved to Advocacy and Cycling Safety.
The point being that this thread *IS* a news & current affair thread, as it is news & it's politically motivated , but has been allowed to not be moved to the dark place or had posts deleted, yet other threads are censored & on point posts deleted or posters are told the thread will be moved. Not saying that it should be moved but just like your best Victoria sponge consistency is everything.

consistency is everything.

You want a bland beige world? Every website the same? Or just every post the same?
No room for creativity? Happy accident? What a dull life you seem to want!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I don't know if this is serious enough to warrant posting in the news and current affairs thread but it certainly bothered me enough to bring attention to it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-registration-numbers-insurance.html#comments

I despise the Heil but the old adage of you should keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer - so you know what the buggers are up to, is more relevant than ever so I was particularly concerned about this.

This cycling-hating rag is claiming ministers are looking at ways to restrict our freedoms and introduce speed limits on bikes. In order to persecute - and prosecute - the miscreants, bikes will need a form of ID so they can receive appropriate punishment. That ID is to be a visible registration number. This is being discussed by Grant Shapps at the department of Transport. Doubtless to give his tory acolytes something to cheer.

The Guardian think it's worth noting as well. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-for-cyclists-on-table-in-review-of-road-laws

Restrictions on cyclists now being discussed at Muppet level.​

Fixed that for you.:okay:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The point being that this thread *IS* a news & current affair thread, as it is news & it's politically motivated , but has been allowed to not be moved to the dark place or had posts deleted, yet other threads are censored & on point posts deleted or posters are told the thread will be moved. Not saying that it should be moved but just like your best Victoria sponge consistency is everything.

NACA is off thataway ===>
Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom