Retraining/Job change later in life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Really? My OP training was with a private NGO but the certification was run by the state education authority.

My cabinet makers training was accredited by the trade guild and state.
Sadly a lot of it is ones that do them with a formal certificate by say a national exam board/city and guild are to a given standard. Even then if they sign up via someone else who a registered centre the standard of teaching can still be poor. You may get an approved qualification but your learning experience won't be much fun. Much of the "training" that's work based is all down to to them. One level 2 may not be same as another level 2. Even First Aid training is no longer inspected by the HSE. Once registered as long as you do what is asked it's pretty much open season. The drive to open up the market has seen more private universities popping up. What you get for the massive fees they charge is not too clear either.

I hated school so much and the people I was grouped with at college that I swopped queue to the City & Guilds sign on rather than BTEC (much to employers annoyance) and now look at me 20 odd years later looking to do the course I could have had for free!!! Bullying ruined my image of schools & colleges :sad:

I had a similar experience with school, so I can identify.

Part of my OP training is teaching so we could work in technical colleges teaching our previous qualification (in my case teaching cabinet making) and we were warned that we would be furious with the educational system by the end of that module because it's clearly failing people but won't change.

They were right too.

I've long been very cynical about any report that says a client has "learning difficulties": A lot of times it turns out they can learn very well if someone just takes a bit of time to figure out how they learn instead of just trying to blame the client.

I sometimes want to change the reports to "School system failed, again."

Sadly a lot of it is ones that do them with a formal certificate by say a national exam board/city and guild are to a given standard. Even then if they sign up via someone else who a registered centre the standard of teaching can still be poor. You may get an approved qualification but your learning experience won't be much fun. Much of the "training" that's work based is all down to to them. One level 2 may not be same as another level 2. Even First Aid training is no longer inspected by the HSE. Once registered as long as you do what is asked it's pretty much open season. The drive to open up the market has seen more private universities popping up. What you get for the massive fees they charge is not too clear either.

To be fair I've seen a lot of variation: I was incredibly fortunate to be in a course in Stuttgart at a time it had some very good tutors in charge. When I went to interviews I was occasionally asked which year I was in: up to 2012-13 was considered quite poor, but was turned around in 2015-16, so we have the same problem.

Nice to hear. You’re probably exactly the kind of person I would want teaching my kids.

I do wonder how many people end up in teaching because they don’t really know what else they want to do and so just find of fall into it. I’ve done a bit of teaching in adult education at local schools and colleges over the years in software engineering and it surprises me how many of the teachers I‘ve met don’t seem to enjoy what they’re doing.

I really enjoy teaching adults as they’re there because they want to learn. Totally different ballgame with kids I would imagine?

I’m lucky to work in a faculty where all the teachers did something before becoming teachers - I think that makes a real difference to the mindset. It also gives you stories from the real world that you can relate your lessons to and make them a bit more relevant.

I’m coming to the end of my training year and am really hoping that there will be an opening at the school I’m in - kids and teachers are good, and I can cycle there and back

tom73

Guru
To be fair I've seen a lot of variation: I was incredibly fortunate to be in a course in Stuttgart at a time it had some very good tutors in charge. When I went to interviews I was occasionally asked which year I was in: up to 2012-13 was considered quite poor, but was turned around in 2015-16, so we have the same problem.
The biggest problem is much of education now is simply "spoon feeding" they say they need to know x so give them X the idea of personalised learning is way out the door. I've always used an example when i've explained to training teachers. Our job is the navigator of learning not the driver. So many now don't just drive they burn all the maps.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I spent 20 years in the whisky industry covering all aspects except bottling. The last distillery I was in charge of went belly up, not due to any technical issue but for other reasons I had better not discuss. It was taken over by some of the nastiest people it has been my misfortune to meet so I told them to get lost. [Less politely]
Rather than leave the place we were living we opted to abandon distilleries and started a knitwear manufacturing business. There was no way we could compete in the fashion market even if we wished so opted for a niche which was wide open for exploitation. This was hat manufacture when we had virtually no competition. Being a bit handy I automated as much as possible to keep manufacturing costs down and we ended up with 5 employees and some outworkers as well as a retail shop.
This all started in my mid 40's and we kept going until I was over state pension age when we started to wind down. I also had a sideline selling mainly at agricultural shows and highland games which was good fun.
Best move I ever made and being my own boss suited me better than being an employee. I finally retired about age 70.

I went into IT after University - and worked in the same company for 20 years - at which point they decided they didn't need me anymore so I was left with a new kid and a partner who refused to move house

I got a part time job teaching at a local FE college to get some money in and found out that I could get more to train as a secondary school IT teacher - which I then did for over 10 years - I then switched to IT Technician in schools for a few years - with some teaching as well until I retired a few years ago

Main Point - teaching is an option if it right for you - for me it was kinda accidental - but it worked for me at the time. But it is not for everyone and it can be harder work than some people think
But it may be an option

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I went into IT after University - and worked in the same company for 20 years - at which point they decided they didn't need me anymore so I was left with a new kid and a partner who refused to move house

I got a part time job teaching at a local FE college to get some money in and found out that I could get more to train as a secondary school IT teacher - which I then did for over 10 years - I then switched to IT Technician in schools for a few years - with some teaching as well until I retired a few years ago

Main Point - teaching is an option if it right for you - for me it was kinda accidental - but it worked for me at the time. But it is not for everyone and it can be harder work than some people think
But it may be an option
Really interesting hearing about everyone’s moves into teaching by accident or intention. I don’t think years are on my side though. I would be in my 50’s before I was qualified. It’s daunting considering this so late in life

Really interesting hearing about everyone’s moves into teaching by accident or intention. I don’t think years are on my side though. I would be in my 50’s before I was qualified. It’s daunting considering this so late in life
I have known people switch at that age - I was in my 40s (43 I think) so there was no chance of rising far up the ranks
Over 50 I have heard so people say it is difficult to find a job - although OF COURSE no school would ever be ageists or anything!!!!
However, you could get supply work although checkout the requirement for completing the first year of teaching - I know they have changed since I did it but it can be a problem

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I have known people switch at that age - I was in my 40s (43 I think) so there was no chance of rising far up the ranks
Over 50 I have heard so people say it is difficult to find a job - although OF COURSE no school would ever be ageists or anything!!!!
However, you could get supply work although checkout the requirement for completing the first year of teaching - I know they have changed since I did it but it can be a problem
A couple in the village where doing degrees and all covered by benefits etc. They didn’t work and when they both completed they took a year off and then chose to try teaching. Neither could get constant work so took a vacation in Spain and as yet have never come back :wacko:

Of all the positives on here it’s looking likely that to retrain in anything substantial or University courses I am too old and will be worthless by time I complete them in my 50’s.... have to suck it up and see how my job pans out

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Perhaps, he was just lucky, but, my brother was a Software Engineer, was made redundant age 50. Decided to retrain as a Maths Teacher. He did “hands on training “, working in a school and earning. He then worked until 60 and retired.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You'd then have a good 15 and more years before you were allowed to draw your state pension. That's a decent career. 15 years service in the teacher's pension scheme would give you a tidy retirement income on its own. After retirement at the age of 67 you can expect to live for another 20 odd years.

If anyone is interested in retraining as a teacher it's worth reading what Lucy Kellaway has to say on the subject. She's a former FT journalist who retrained as a teacher in her upper 50s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Kellaway

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The trick with teaching is to find a subject that has a shortage - or will have when you qualify - which can be a bit diffucult
Maths. Science. IT. Languages. Early years, especially if you're male. Basically if you know a subject and are any good at teaching you'll find a job. There is a shortage of teachers overall - plenty of evidence of that - and Covid and Brexit won't make it any better.

Top Bottom