Retraining/Job change later in life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why sails and why Denmark ? I didn't know there was such a thing as a sailmaker tbh.
My brother was living in Denmark and I came over for his wedding and met some sailmakers. I had had enough of banking at that stage. I had only recently moved into my newly built house. But it sold very quickly and I was offered a job over here. It has been a great move. It was a gamble, but Im glad I took it. Actually, when you take the plunge, it is not that difficult. Taking the plunge is the hard part.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

You'd then have a good 15 and more years before you were allowed to draw your state pension. That's a decent career. 15 years service in the teacher's pension scheme would give you a tidy retirement income on its own. After retirement at the age of 67 you can expect to live for another 20 odd years.

If anyone is interested in retraining as a teacher it's worth reading what Lucy Kellaway has to say on the subject. She's a former FT journalist who retrained as a teacher in her upper 50s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Kellaway
A google and an interesting read. Thank you srw. She does mention in her article I read one great advantage over the majority of us and thats a v.good pension (she is claiming) house paid for, kids grown up so not dependant and substantial savings thus financial support. She doesnt care if she fails or it goes wrong for she has already been successful and doesn't need the career to work, even though it does and she loves teaching. She contrasts it to her 25 year old colleague who is more akin to the majority.
If only I was in her position then this would be easy.
Social anxiety would destroy me teaching kids😢

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I think, despite the cost, I am going to build on my apprenticeship and engineering and sign up for Diploma in Engineering with OU....considered the Degree but think thats a bit beyond me. Studying a completely different subject for 4-6 years then starting a whole new career is a bit much but just building on what I have I think/hope is a sensible option

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
I got accepted on a construction/surveying degree over ten years ago,in my forties. I thought the same.Thats me all over,felt I couldn't commit to it.My partner is the academic one and tries to push me.Ive done two apprenteships and god knows how many different jobs.I wish I'd have done it now ! It's never to late but youve got to want to.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Great idea working one day a week :laugh:
Anyone else who grew up in a clergy household will join me in laughing at your ignorance.

It's a seven day a week job with insanely long hours - my father had to be forced to take Mondays off to give himself a break. At the age of 78 he has just "retired" from his main job, and hasn't been paid for doing it for nearly 20 years. He still does two or three things.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Anyone else who grew up in a clergy household will join me in laughing at your ignorance.

It's a seven day a week job with insanely long hours - my father had to be forced to take Mondays off to give himself a break. At the age of 78 he has just "retired" from his main job, and hasn't been paid for doing it for nearly 20 years. He still does two or three things.
Guessing steve was joking rather than showing ignorance

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'm sure he was. But jokes like that get rather stale. They're like the jokes that teachers get long holidays.
But if you find it stale, better to just ignore it.
Teachers- depends on the teacher. 4 in our village, 1 is hard working and fantastic. 1 worked 1 in every 4 weeks in first lockdown then never worked the rest saying they deserved a rest due to working hard.......

Think Openreach are recruiting in certain areas, my next door neighbour is in the events industry so hasn't worked since March is looking into it.
12 weeks training I believe then out on 'the tools ' so to speak.

Clearly need to be happy dealing with the public but might be an option.

Private pension/paid leave etc.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner left the RN and re-trained as a book keeper. She loves being self-employed due to the flexibility it gives her, but the downside is there are quiet times when she only gets a few hundred a month, plus she doesn't get paid when off sick or on holiday (1 week a year). Without her Navy pension, she'd be stuffed though, unless she could get 40 hours work every week, which is difficult

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I was a Personal Trainer for several years, and I ran gyms as well, but got bored. Went PT to a College and gained a few Highers needed to get into Uni to study Zoology, a subject that I always had an interest in. Gained a Bsc Zoology then an Msc in Conservation and Biodiversity when I fell into teaching. Wasn't planned, I just helped out at the Zoological Museum at my Uni and one of my lecturers noticed that I was quite good at teaching. So, learned how to be a teacher, met Mr Cookiemonster (who's Father was a well respected Principal in Hong Kong), got a job as an English teacher here, PGDE in Primary Teaching from Hong Kong Uni and now a teacher here and teach 6/7 year olds English :wub: and Zoology too as an extra curricular activity.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded. :laugh:

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Zoology sounds really interesting. I personally like the Environment degrees, really interesting and Science but better to focus on engineering. Having made that decision I am left not knowing if to do a degree or a diploma :wacko:
Suppose a degree opens up more doors and opportunities but takes longer. Diploma is quicker and more focussed on a particular area.

F70100

Who, me ?
I retrained for a new job in my thirties; (is that later in life?).

I'd joined the coal mining industry on leaving school at the end of the seventies. Did most jobs underground at one time or another. The events of 1984/5 gave an indication that I should have a rethink. Quite how I ended up as an airline captain, instructor pilot and examiner, I'm not really sure, but I guess I landed on my feet...

Being able to retrain whilst still employed would be a very big advantage.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I retrained for a new job in my thirties; (is that later in life?).

I'd joined the coal mining industry on leaving school at the end of the seventies. Did most jobs underground at one time or another. The events of 1984/5 gave an indication that I should have a rethink. Quite how I ended up as an airline captain, instructor pilot and examiner, I'm not really sure, but I guess I landed on my feet...

Being able to retrain whilst still employed would be a very big advantage.
I think thats a big factor for me right there, training whilst still employed and in the job (or rather area) of the degree/diploma. Engineering is a sort after area.

Top Bottom