Retro MTB reunion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This is more retro than vintage, but anyway…

I bought this Saracen Dirt Trax second hand in the late 90s - it was my first ‘proper’ MTB and was used as such. It eventually got usurped by a newer bike and was relegated to the back of the shed. A few years ago a friend had his bike stolen - it was his only means of transport so I gave him this.

Then recently he told me he’d bought a new bike - I enquired after the Saracen and he said he still had it and if I wanted it back I could have it. Then the big LD happened but today it finally came home! And it is just as I remember it - it still had the Crud Catcher and bottle cage I put on it, the front tyre is still the original as are pretty much all the parts.
68FAAD67-9588-4AE7-A2DE-8A7D912CB97B.jpeg
It was a bit baggy and scruffy but largely sound - a hour of wiping and fettling and it’s a runner again.

I’m not entirely sure what to do with it - I am surprised how pleased I am to have it back; I’m not generally one for sentiment towards such things but I find myself chuffed to have it back. I’m considering using it as a commuting hack. I’m pretty sure it has no value as a retro MTB nor has any historic significance but I’m keen to keep it largely as it is, maybe with some rack or luggage options.

This is more retro than vintage, but anyway…

I bought this Saracen Dirt Trax second hand in the late 90s - it was my first ‘proper’ MTB and was used as such. It eventually got usurped by a newer bike and was relegated to the back of the shed. A few years ago a friend had his bike stolen - it was his only means of transport so I gave him this.

Then recently he told me he’d bought a new bike - I enquired after the Saracen and he said he still had it and if I wanted it back I could have it. Then the big LD happened but today it finally came home! And it is just as I remember it - it still had the Crud Catcher and bottle cage I put on it, the front tyre is still the original as are pretty much all the parts.
View attachment 603159 It was a bit baggy and scruffy but largely sound - a hour of wiping and fettling and it’s a runner again.

I’m not entirely sure what to do with it - I am surprised how pleased I am to have it back; I’m not generally one for sentiment towards such things but I find myself chuffed to have it back. I’m considering using it as a commuting hack. I’m pretty sure it has no value as a retro MTB nor has any historic significance but I’m keen to keep it largely as it is, maybe with some rack or luggage options.
Nice story. I had a Saracen Sahara Elite for some years, acquired from new in the early nineties. I eventually gave it off to my brother, who then passed it on. Wish I'd kept it now, would be a nice bit of nostalgia. Those old nineties MTB's look the biz :okay:

Kajjal

Guru
I have a 1996 orange c16r hard tail and a couple of years ago took it up into the forestry and mountains. This was after a full strip down, new cables, brakes pads etc. The main difference was the 26’“ wheels don’t grip as well as 29” on steeper looser trails uphill. Also not having disc brakes means being a bit more careful. Surprisingly the 3 x 8 gearing was very smooth and worked well.

Top Bottom