Retroflex Crank Adaptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flatflr

Guru
Hi All

After some advice here.

A friend who broke both his legs really badly (lost about 2 inches of bone from each femur which has been regrown and has only just started to walk after about 3 years) has been advised by his physiotherapist to use a bike on a turbo with short crank due to limited knee bend.

He's been looking at a Retroflex Cycle Adaptor (as below). Does anybody have any information on these?
12822808_923495374413707_999223438_o.jpg

Cheers

Flatflr

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've memories from many years back that a forumer's other half had a bike with something like one of these. I'm thinking @Cunobelin but it's a punt. Apologies if I've got it wrong.

Sharky

Guru
I've memories from many years back that a forumer's other half had a bike with something like one of these. I'm thinking @Cunobelin but it's a punt. Apologies if I've got it wrong.

Almost, I adapted with pedal spacers that moved the pedals out rather than shortening the cranks

This was a solution for us because by wife had outward deflection in her knee joints

The Retroflex will induce a wider "Q factor" that will widen the feet placement, and can be uncomfortable if you have straight legs

The other question is which type of shortener you want.

The first is a simple attachment (this is the Hase one)
64-125-full-comp20-3.jpg

IT shortens the crank length but pedalling is the same basic method

The second (which the Retroflex appears to be) is a "pendulum" These shorten the crank length, but the pedal has a second rotation altering the pedalling motion and technique (again the Hase version)

large-la_10has_pedalpend.jpg

The end of this video demonstrates this

Sorry if this is confusing rather than a simple answer

There are a number of sites and companies that specislise in these adaptations and can give advice

OP
OP
flatflr

flatflr

Guru
Thanks for that, I'll pass it on to my friend.

He's not to worried about it being a bit wider, he's lucky to still have his legs (both compound fractures and a fused knee after being in frames for so long), walking is a big step for him at the moment.

Top Bottom