Retul bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to get retul fit done on your own bike, you do get the measurements however so can transfer more or less if the geometry is comparable

There are some, equally or more expensive systems that use a jig rather than your bike on a turbo

Ref the knee/calf pain, do you stretch off the bike? Tight calves are common in cyclists, along with weak glutes and hamstrings...and overdeveloped quads all contributing to muscle imbalance leading potentially to patello femoral syndrome and knee pain

Go to a good LBS to get the right size frame, with any off the peg bike, you might need to change stem, bars etc

i guess it was more to see what size frame i needed, small medium large etc
as well as all the other bits n pieces

(i would like to build my own bike next all being well)

yeah i've started stretching a lot more, and rolling after a cycle, it's almost as hard work as the cycle :rolleyes: last thing you want to do when you get back :tongue:)

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
was thinking of this as i have a bit of knee / calf pain
is £150 in my area
also looking at a new bike and wanted to be sure of frame size before buying etc
is expensive and wondering if a normal fit would do hmmmm

I was advised definitely get the fit before the bike, so your ideal measurements can better inform your purchase, otherwise you can end up with a brand new bike, which you're having to bodge to fit you properly. The retul place will probably set up your bike for you when you've bought it (or you can do it yourself with the measurements). I used a bike fit place which have moved on from Retul though, as they found the Retul system a little formulaic, and prefer to make it more personalised according to individuals (i.e. there is no perfect set of measurements, only perfect for the individual, according to flexibility, preferences, DNA, bio mechanics, etc etc.).

Tin Pot

Guru
I was advised definitely get the fit before the bike, so your ideal measurements can better inform your purchase, otherwise you can end up with a brand new bike, which you're having to bodge to fit you properly. The retul place will probably set up your bike for you when you've bought it (or you can do it yourself with the measurements). I used a bike fit place which have moved on from Retul though, as they found the Retul system a little formulaic, and prefer to make it more personalised according to individuals (i.e. there is no perfect set of measurements, only perfect for the individual, according to flexibility, preferences, DNA, bio mechanics, etc etc.).

I don't believe this is necessary as long as the frame size is correct.

Cadence offer a bike fit with purchase, which would sort out all concerns.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a Retul fit, and within a few weeks had adjusted things away from their specs. Comfort beats all. Following that I did some reading , and discovered other systems can be somewhat contradictory to the Retul system. I'm no expert on bike fits, and only had mine as the chap who booked it had an accident and was unable to taken it himself or get a refund, so I'm in no position to sat which, if any, of the systems are 'correct'. I would therefore have to agree with Tin Pot, in that provided the frame is right for you you're fundamentally fine, then have a read of http://www.bikepro.com.au/bike-fit-myth-debunking

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I don't believe this is necessary as long as the frame size is correct.

Cadence offer a bike fit with purchase, which would sort out all concerns.

You're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I've experienced trying to make a bike fit, which was really just the wrong frame for me. I'm not really sure who Cadence are, and I would agree that a basic bike fit is certainly better than none, but a dynamic bike fit for me, is much better.

S-Express

Every frame is a different geometry so I doubt you could have a "fit" done and transfer it. If you're thinking of getting a new bike, the bike shop should do a fit for you.
Of course it may not be the bike! Cleat placement etc could also be a factor.

A decent bike fitter will use fixed reference points like BB and headset to achieve your measurements. So in principle, your fit will be transferable to any other frame, regardless of geometry.

Top Bottom