Return from Brussels to Calais in 2 days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louisb19

Hi there,
On my round trip from Calais to Brussels I am stopping in Brugge and Ghent on the outward journey, then I have 2 days to return to Calais. I was originally planning on stopping for the night in Ypres, however now I am considering Armentieres. Where would you suggest is a good place to split the journey? Keep in mind I need to be back in Calais by 6pm on the final day for the Eurotunnel.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd probably return to the Palace Hotel Poperinge but the Ypres area generally is quite busy with visitors.

cycle.travel suggests along the canal to Aalst-Gent-Brugge-Oostende then along the coast (well, LF1 just inland rather than the busy prom) is the shortest good route. You could go pretty fast alongside the canalside (their towpaths are small roads, usually good surface, very different to England) if able. Should be plenty of accommodation in the resorts around Nieuwpoort. The coast could be a swine in unkind wind, though.

I wouldn't go as far south as Armentieres unless I really wanted to see that town.

User66445

Ypres, without question. Apart from the of the battle, the museum is fascinating, especially on the rebuilding of the town. The visitors are there for a reason. You'll regret it if you don't go.

U

User169

Roubaix. If the reasons aren’t obvious, it’s probably not worth you going there! Roubaix itself is a bit of a dump, but you could overnight in Lille.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Calling Roubaix a bit of a dump might be considered unfair on dumps! I'd vote for Ypres, or Poperinge (handy for Ypres and lovely in its own right).

Brains

Legendary Member
My Vote would be for Ypres.

Before you think you can easily do the 70 miles from Ypres to Calais in a day before 6pm
CHECK THE WIND !!!!

If it's against you and much above 15 mph you wont make it
Grown men have been reduced to tears by an adverse wind whilst on a bike in the Pas de Calais region

windy.com is the app you need on your phone

User66445

The wind, as mentioned, is vitally important. Did this back in the day when I had my beloved Trek, 2 pannier bags front, 2 rear plus sleeping bag and tent tied to the rack. Remember, it's flat - speed maximum was 13 kph, speed average was around 8 - 9 kph. I still remember sweating up to a bridge, coming to a virtual standstill at the top but forcing my way down the other side, because there was a station only a little bit further. As a test, did a little bit with the wind behind, not pedalling - minimum 15 kph.

Top Bottom