Returning to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eeyore

Hi all, first posting newbie here.

I've just read with amusement the 'Cycling snobbery' thread. I am returning to cycling after a 20 year 'break', as the people I work with in my job all cycle and so I might as well join in.

Anyway, with reference to the Snobbery thread, my bike is a 1955 Viking, with Reynolds 531 throughout. It was given to me by my Dad, who bought it new. I had the frame altered 20 years ago to accept a front derailluer, and fitted Shimano 600 Ultegra components.

Now to the present day I find things have changed a lot. My bike with its Brooks B17 narrow saddle, quill handlebar stem, toe clips on the pedals, 7 rear gears, square taper bottom bracket and 27 inch wheels is now 'obselete'! I would carry on riding it as it is, if it wasn't for one thing....I now live and work in Switzerland, in the rather 'hilly' area near Lake Geneva.

Everyone here has triple chainrings. To convert my bike to accept a triple will require so many changes its not worth the effort. So it's new bike time.

However with my roots planted in the past, and no desire to have the 'lastest and greatest' I have bought components mainly off ebay to create my special.

So far I have a Colnago C40 frame (10yrs vintage), new Shimano Ultegra SL triple gearset (with downtube shifters), 10 year old Campy brakes, and oldish Look pedals (I already have Vittoria shoes). Still looking for wheels, and saddle. Even though this bike is way newer than my old one, some parts are still out of date, and it's been 'fun' trying to source components.

The goal is in August to complete the organised ride around Lake Geneva (180kms).

roadiewill

sounds great, Id love to build a bike up from scratch - adds a bit of originality.

OP
OP
E

eeyore

Yes I have a Brooks on the old bike. I've seen some people mention having them on this site, but haven't seen anyone saying their's is over 55 years old!

I'll post pics of both when I am back in the UK soon.

As for 'hilly' well Lausanne itself (the town where I live) has an difference of 235m from one side to another. The nearest hill, is 650m high. I've been told it's possible to ride all day, uphill. Round the lake is flat though.

I've been told a compact is possible, for my level of fitness a triple is the only way to go.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
eeyore said:
Yes I have a Brooks on the old bike. I've seen some people mention having them on this site, but haven't seen anyone saying their's is over 55 years old!

I'll post pics of both when I am back in the UK soon.

As for 'hilly' well Lausanne itself (the town where I live) has an difference of 235m from one side to another. The nearest hill, is 650m high. I've been told it's possible to ride all day, uphill. Round the lake is flat though.

I've been told a compact is possible, for my level of fitness a triple is the only way to go.

Ooops...missed the Brooks bit.

Top Bottom