Returning to the Workplace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I dread the thought of going back to the office. Working at home is great for a misanthropic introvert like myself!

My supervisor sent around an email today asking who wanted to be on the list for the first wave going back whenever it's allowed and I said no!

johnblack

Über Member
As a teacher, I obviously have no control over working from home but I hope that staff meetings and parents evenings continue to be held remotely as they have been much more efficient that way.
Parents evenings on teams have been brilliant, so much more time efficient, our school gave us all time slots, 5 minutes per teacher with a countdown clock. It was excellent, I really hope they don't go back to the previous situation. It's possibly the only positive I've got out of the last year.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I've worked all the way through.Other depts are furloughed so have had the best part of a year getting paid 80% for doing nowt.I'd love a bit of that!
As we see it we deserve some now as we've been working for 20% pay for the last year:angry::whistle:
It would be quite nice if I could have the next 7 years on 80% thank you very much:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've worked all the way through.Other depts are furloughed so have had the best part of a year getting paid 80% for doing nowt.I'd love a bit of that!
As we see it we deserve some now as we've been working for 20% pay for the last year:angry::whistle:
It would be quite nice if I could have the next 7 years on 80% thank you very much:okay:
What sector are you in if there are still people furloughed?
Will the furloughed actually still be employed once the government stops paying?

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
What sector are you in if there are still people furloughed?
Will the furloughed actually still be employed once the government stops paying?
Steel making
That's the plan.
(I'm not convinced that the furlough scheme rules are being 100% adhered to);)

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Then you should report to HMRC :okay:
I don't do 'reporting' of any kind I'm afraid:angel:
I suspect that they already know and I suspect we are not the only multi-national doing it:whistle: It will all come out(and then be buried)when the bill comes and the tax payer has topay for it:rolleyes:
I just go,do what I'm paid for,take the money and come home:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Someone breaks the law like that, I grass. One of the moral responsibilities that comes with the privilege of being a member of society is challenging wrongdoing.

If they don't like that they're welcome to come and talk it over with me. Im not afraid to stand up and be counted.

I have been at work throughout, until January, when I was enabled to work from home for some of the time.
The office was quite and more enjoyable between April and January,mwhere as now, with some teams returning to use the available desks, the ‘busy ness’ has returned too, and I have found it quite distracting.
I can understand that this who were away for the last year are excited to be coming back, and don’t blame them, but it is good to be away from all that, I think.
It appears that we will move to a blended working arrangement at some stage, as the clinical teams could do with more space, particularly as their workload has increased considerably.

@Sniper68 and @Drago, you rarely get anything for free these days. I’m sure HMRC will be given a mandate in the next few years to clawback incorrectly claimed furlough with the threat of name and shaming, starting with the largest organisations first and then other mandates to play hard ball when said such organisations try and get exemptions from tax for x,y,z. Days of the tax payer footing the bill for Joe public are gone unless you happen to have connections.

classic33

Leg End Member
@Sniper68 and @Drago, you rarely get anything for free these days. I’m sure HMRC will be given a mandate in the next few years to clawback incorrectly claimed furlough with the threat of name and shaming, starting with the largest organisations first and then other mandates to play hard ball when said such organisations try and get exemptions from tax for x,y,z. Days of the tax payer footing the bill for Joe public are gone unless you happen to have connections.
Chances are they'll start at the bottom of any company, and work up. Not the other way round.

And there's the possibility of implied threats of no job if you cooperate with any investigation. Possibly being told what to say, by someone higher up.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Someone breaks the law like that, I grass. One of the moral responsibilities that comes with the privilege of being a member of society is challenging wrongdoing.
If they don't like that they're welcome to come and talk it over with me. Im not afraid to stand up and be counted.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
I learned that a long time ago.
I'm also sure it's not 'someone' but more than likely a 'Board' of faceless individuals.I'm also not entirely sure that what is happening is illegal.Rules are bent and/or broken all the time.The bigger the business the more it goes on and the less likely of them being brought to task.Look at our Government for instance:whistle:

gavgav

Guru
A thread for those starting to go back to the workplace, well aware some have been working in 'work' throughout.

My employer is starting to work through a new policy, but are expecting it to take a 'year'. In the meantime they are trying to class people into if they need to be in or not. I fall into a hybrid working category - i.e. can be in or at home, doesn't matter. What's becoming clear is work will only equip one workplace - OK for me as I only took the laptop home and already had monitors lying about (spares from gaming PC's/ Zwift PC) but others face taking back chairs and monitors.

My wife is back this week two days and then for 3 days per week in June. Whilst I'm not required to be back, it makes sense to share the commute, as I have parking (the only advantage of breaking my spine), so that will save £5 a day. It's a little longer commute as it means dropping my wife off and collecting her (trip round the ring road).

Looking forward to being back, as I've missed the interaction - it's quite isolating being in a shed all day, although the flexibility to listen into a meeting whilst potting a plant or washing the bike will be gone. Looks like I'll be back Monday, Weds and Thurs, which suits me. Usually Friday's are a 'quiet' day, i.e. no meetings, so better off at home so I can get on with work, and it's also my wife's busiest day for payment processing, so better with no disturbances.

We aren't sure how we handle meetings yet, certainly come September, with a mix of staff in a meeting room, and quite a few remote.

There will be days where I'm required in, or my wife, and the other not, which we will work around.

I can, unfortunately, see a pause in the restrictions being lifted, and social distancing remaining for a while longer yet, which impacts the number we can have in - in a room of 22 desks we can have 8 people in at present.

What's your workplace plans ?
A risk assessment is currently being carried out as to the office layout, ventilation, access points, etc. We’ve been working from home for 15 months, bar a handful of days where I’ve been in for new starter inductions, retiree handover, etc. Our office has been open, but with a limit of 1 person per “pod” which is 6 people, that seems safe to me……

One things for sure is that there is no way we can get the 24 back in the office, which we had pre Covid and I think we’ll be on a rota, couple of days in the office and 3 at home, for example.

We can do our jobs from home, but as a manager I miss the human interaction and the ability to pick up on the nuances in the office of how people are, etc. I don’t miss the commute though and it’s only 15 to 20 minutes.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MrsF's now had confirmed they will be all working from the office for two days a week. Currently two days, but alternating 50/50 so only half in. From July until September it will be all in for two days, then 3 days from September. I'll probably follow the same days.

GetFatty

Über Member
MrsF's now had confirmed they will be all working from the office for two days a week. Currently two days, but alternating 50/50 so only half in. From July until September it will be all in for two days, then 3 days from September. I'll probably follow the same days.
It still feels punitive to me. People have been fine at home and to set arbitrary targets seems wrong. I’ll be working to keep my team at home

Top Bottom