Review: Phaart Bleep Lights

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Lights - Planet X 0.5 Dual 0.5 Watt Rear Light - Phaart Bleep
Price - £2.50 at time of review

After ordering two Phaart Bleep rear lights on Sunday, they've finally arrived today and I've had time to test them out and write a short review.

The lights only costs £2.50 each which is very, very cheap. Postage is £2.50 unless you spend upwards of £20 on Planet X so ordering two of these lights cost me £7.50.

The Bleep is slightly larger than I expected it to be, it's around 7cm long. Here is the light next to a 50p coin and a measuring tape to help you judge the size.

4dHDdoH.jpg

The bracket that is supplied with the Bleep is, to be honest, not very good. It's the same mount that you find on lights from Poundland and I believe that this is where they've cut corners. The light attaches to the mount with a satisfying click but there is a little play on the mount itself. Unfortunately, due to the design of the bracket, the light sits vertically instead of horizontally which means that if you want to mount two, you won't be able to fit a saddlebag unless you have lots of seatpost showing.

FlP44Ln.jpg

lJdWFEE.jpg

The light has a solid plastic design and it feels very sturdy. The clip is much stronger than my Aldi light that I previously owned and it feels like it's not going to fly off if it's clipped to my saddlebag.

HZxr6BX.jpg

I've wrapped some electrical tape around the lights seal to help keep water out. In the picture above, you'll notice that the switch is on the front of the light and it sticks out which means that it's easy to turn the light on when you're wearing thick Winter gloves.

xAmwjpr.jpg

9q3WQEn.jpg

The light comes with three modes: steady, dual flash and alternating flash mode. The light also pumps out an impressive amount of power, I reckon it's 3 or 4 times brighter than my Aldi light.

9Cq3Nrw.jpg

j7TEGPT.jpg

Since the light is so cheap and so bright, cyclists who ride at night with dull/no lights now have no excuse not to have a super bright rear light!

And as an added bonus, the Bleep comes in some amusing packaging!

bKCedvK.jpg

:laugh:

zizou

Veteran
Good review, might get one of these as a backup

Btw get yer bike cleaned :biggrin:

zizou

Veteran
Why clean it? It's only going to get dirty again :whistle:

its not good honest summer dirt though, its evil winter crud with the salt from the roads which will quickly get at your components...it is a pain in the arse cleaning it after every ride but lets of a pain in the wallet in the months ahead (sadly i say this from experience!)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

its not good honest summer dirt though, its evil winter crud with the salt from the roads which will quickly get at your components...it is a pain in the arse cleaning it after every ride but lets of a pain in the wallet in the months ahead (sadly i say this from experience!)

Fair enough, I promise I will give it a clean tomorrow :angel:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Good review Jaz.
Might get a couple, now that I know they are brighter than the Poundland ones.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got one of those - I'm a serial cheap light buyer and this the best I've had by a long way.

400bhp

Guru
These are the 'cheap' copy of the RSP Astrum. Got two Phaarts and 3 Astrums. The Phaarts are very good for the money.

But but you didn't mention the state of his bike - you're slipping..:whistle:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Little update: I used both lights in heavy rain today and they were fine... until I got home. The light on my seatstay was fine but the one on my seatpost wouldn't turn off, I believe it's been water damaged by the spray from my rear wheel. I've had to take the batteries out so hopefully it will dry off and work again.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Still not working for me. As soon as I put the batteries in, the light comes on but the switch does nothing. I've got it in a bowl of rice to hopefully get rid of the moisture.

Top Bottom