Revolution Country Explorer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Headgardener said:
Thanks for your replies everybody, as a sub question what do you all think of cable operated disc brakes as I notice that they are included in the spec for this bike?

Avid BB5 & BB7 are the gold standard definitive cable operated brakes for MTB's. The Road versions are tweaked so they work with drop bar levers.

when set up properly the BB5 Road's as shipped worked great with the Sora levers, really powerful responsive brakes. But once the pads were a bit worn I found that with my "man hands" they were as fiddly as heck to adjust out on the road. maybe there is a knack to it but if so I found it impossible to 'get'.

BB7's (with in line cable adjusters - which aren't included on the bike even though Avid's literature say they must be on drop bar lever bikes as STI's don't have cable adjusters) are easier to maintain/adjust on the road. I heartily recommend fitting Avid Full Metal Jacket cabling system as these improve the feel no end.

Barbelier

Just ordered mine!

Just ordered a Country Explorer from EBC. Reduced from £650 to £500 in their sale so would have been rude not to.:biggrin:

Also ordered a Brooks B17 and will upgrade the brakes to BB7s as Greg has done.

My first tourer intended for a planned LEJOG next May. I have only ever ridden MTBs before and not very good ones at that, so hoping the Explorer will make a big difference. Mind you at 52, overweight and having been away from cycling for many years, I've a lot of training and miles ahead of me! ;)

Can't wait :biggrin:

bauldbairn

Looks like a good bike - I'd just recommended it to somebody on here looking for a tourer that he could take off road. Got a Revolution myself not a Country - good value for money bikes. I've done over 2000 miles no reliability probs.....! ;)

Good Luck with it.

irc

The Dawes Vantage looks to be almost identical to the EBC tourer even the prices £370 for the Dawes V £399 for the EBC on sale are almost the same. The Dawes comes in a bigger range of sizes than the EBC including both a smaller (43cm) and larger (58cm) sizes than the EBC.

Just in case anyone thinking about the EBC is needing a big or small frame.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p1776

bigjim

Legendary Member
2908216822_d9d028a3f8.jpg

I'm sure EBC use the same frame for all their bikes. I've had no problems with my continental sport. had it for 4 years now.

I've just seen this on ebay - I was considering buying one in their sale or waiting for the Sheffield shop to open....but this one looks pretty good for the money (ok second hand but the guy says although it's had a good bit of use when he first got it.....it's been sat doing nothing for ages!)

Any advice on it would be appreciated as I've no idea about these things.... :smile:

I was thinking of getting a new one Greg....I don't know anything about bikes to be honest, just want a tourer and I've settled on one from the EBC - I either bid on that one...or wait for the shop to open in my town (Sheffield) and get the 2010 model.

My local cycle shop initially steered me away from a tourer....towards a Specialized Tricross....but I'm not the first person they've done that to......so I'm going for a tourer.

Might have a dabble at this one if the price stays low...otherwise I've got the budget for a new one....so might even just do that. Oh bugger...I can't make a decision to save my life...LOL

I was going to nip up there Andy but I phoned the EBC last week and they said my frame size was out of stock....2010 model coming in stock March...which is when the Sheffield Store opens.....and there's a money off voucher for anyone who registers interest by email. The Leeds one is not central either....and I don't drive and I've not got the greatest sense of direction either! :biggrin:

So it's either buy the second hand one.....or wait for the Sheffield one.

I'm quite chuffed though.....I've never held onto to "do as I want" money for this long before, normally i'd either be buying computer gear or running gear! LOL

Top Bottom