RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
In the 12 rides we did in 'Tour du Monde' it seemed to be worse when it's a large number of fast moving cyclists, when there's been acomplex or uphill course it's not been a factor at all. Now we know about this 'feature' it adds a new dynamic to the racing, you have to keep a close eye on either your speed or position relative to everyone else, if you see yourself drifting back quickly then you've had one of these auto-braking 'kicks' that needs to be addressed immediately or you'll go out of the back, the cost of losing the draft completely would be trying to cycle at 50kmh on your own which is almost futile. There might be some techniques that we can use to reduce/avoid the problem but I haven't found it yet.
The good news is everyone's in the same boat, we're all at risk of being randomly punched in the face. :laugh:

Yeah a bit mad isn’t it. In zwift the groups can be very large. So generally I try to stay near the front to avoid getting caught out in a split. But on rgt it seems like with the best will in the world you’re going to sort of sling shot from the back to the front and vice versa, constantly.

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
I’ll say this Keith. Something happened during the race that gave me a good chuckle.

After I got dumped out of the front pack I went into a ‘bit’ of a sulk. I didn’t even notice it was you that overtook me until after you were past me to be honest. Life was big big old bitter pill, that I was struggling to swallow. Then kipster came flying past me in a group of 4 or so and I thought, ‘well I might as well jump in with them!’. So I’m in the group now, and we’re all going along fine. Then we get to this hill. I put in a bit of a dig and I drop everyone else apart from one guy. I must be just ahead of him when we get to the summit. But by this point I have sweat dripping off of me as you do. A bit of sweat must of come from my forehead and landed right on the phone screen. which is sat in front of my handlebars. Because the next thing I know, I’m giving this guy the ‘see ya later’ wave. Well, all I can say was it was like a red rag to a bull. Because he put his foot down and disappeared off my screen in front of me in about 5 seconds flat!

I have to say it cheered me right up :laugh:

I will persevere mate. I’ve treated all the cycling apps like computer games rather than expecting them to replicate cycling to the letter. So it’s not the end of the world. I was just surprised by the way the group works together. I think they have some work to do there.
Well I duped him in the sprint for you. I recognised his name as one of the big hitters so I'm not surprised he got away from you. By the time he got to me I think you'd tired him out abit but I noticed I was doing the work for the two of us when the road kicked up. No problem he was doing the work on the flat. We caught another guy who we dropped in the last km and then I gave it a lot on the final little rise, he came past me just before the top and I sat on his wheel and pounced in the last 50m. @AndyMacca you see I am paying attention to you and @perswe in the sprints!
I think for it's faults, in terms of braking and drafting, that they are aware of and addressing RGT is trying to be more real world than video game while still having the enjoyment of a virtual world. I'm convinced it's the home for me, especially if as they have stated it's still a work in progress.
I would be happy to take the initiative to set up the bkoolsplintersandreturners group and events on RGT if that would help get the whole group back together.
Italian climb tonight, Champs Elysees race Friday evening for me if you fancy developing your RGT skills.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Well I duped him in the sprint for you. I recognised his name as one of the big hitters so I'm not surprised he got away from you. By the time he got to me I think you'd tired him out abit but I noticed I was doing the work for the two of us when the road kicked up. No problem he was doing the work on the flat. We caught another guy who we dropped in the last km and then I gave it a lot on the final little rise, he came past me just before the top and I sat on his wheel and pounced in the last 50m. @AndyMacca you see I am paying attention to you and @perswe in the sprints!
I think for it's faults, in terms of braking and drafting, that they are aware of and addressing RGT is trying to be more real world than video game while still having the enjoyment of a virtual world. I'm convinced it's the home for me, especially if as they have stated it's still a work in progress.
I would be happy to take the initiative to set up the bkoolsplintersandreturners group and events on RGT if that would help get the whole group back together.
Italian climb tonight, Champs Elysees race Friday evening for me if you fancy developing your RGT skills.

Yeah I hope yours right and they continue working to improve. I don’t have any brand loyalty to be honest. I can see why coming from bkool, rgt is an improvement. But for me they have a lot of work to do until they create the same realism as zwift in the pack. I don’t mean the graphics. I don’t really notice the scenery, it’s more about feel.
Don’t get me wrong, zwift isn’t perfect either. You go straight though people rather than around them on zwift for example. And the rgt idea of slowing around corners and braking when you reach people is of course based in reality. I just wonder how easy it’ll be to ever get those things feeling right on a game. Time will tell 🤞

Last edited:

peterob

Veteran
I should hopefully see you on the climb tonight Keith. On the start line at least.

I've had a pootle on RGT but not tried a race yet. I thought it'd be a good idea to try it out on a climb race first to get used to things and assess before tackling a flatter race (where the braking/draft dynamics may take some getting used to).

It'll be good to see some of the old BKool CC'ers back on the road :okay:

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
I should hopefully see you on the climb tonight Keith. On the start line at least.

I've had a pootle on RGT but not tried a race yet. I thought it'd be a good idea to try it out on a climb race first to get used to things and assess before tackling a flatter race (where the braking/draft dynamics may take some getting used to).

It'll be good to see some of the old BKool CC'ers back on the road :okay:
I've just done 60kms and 1500m of climb irw so I'll be taking it easy, hopefully climbing with a new friend, Gerald. Feel free to make it a group of three.

kipster

Guru
Sportful full comfort bib shorts.....oooooh comfy bum!
I have rapha and assos. I haven't had a problem for years, but them I do more outside than indoors riding. I just think as I have been doing all indoor miles I haven't been moving as much. Hopefully the weather improves and covid lockdowns get removed soon.

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
I have rapha and assos. I haven't had a problem for years, but them I do more outside than indoors riding. I just think as I have been doing all indoor miles I haven't been moving as much. Hopefully the weather improves and covid lockdowns get removed soon.
Yes I find though that I sweat an awful lot more indoors so the thicker pad in the total comfort while a little bulky in the real world is great for the trainer and I actually prefer them to my race shorts indoors.

CXRAndy

Guru

Rocker :okay:

shimceltic

Veteran
Just had a quick go, seems ok. Couldn't change my weight and the watts seemed high. Also do I need to brake as I disconnected mine

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
Just had a quick go, seems ok. Couldn't change my weight and the watts seemed high. Also do I need to brake as I disconnected mine
weight rather bizarrely is in the settings but you need to then go into personal details and just press save at the bottom of that page. No the platform automatically brakes for you and the power (top left of the screen) goes red when you are riding against the brake. This happens when you are cornering or trying to ride into the back of somebody (collision braking). It still needs some tweaking to get it real world right.

AndyMacca

it's possible, @AndyMacca put out 15.1 to nick one from @perswe . See you tomorrow night in the old world!
@shimceltic has a mean sprint!

Related to previous posts but thought this was worth sharing particularly for those from Z.

From here
View: https://www.facebook.com/groups/roadgrandtoursusers/permalink/3568094029923173/

Generally speaking, specific position matters much more on RGT. When you are in another riders draft you have to push less hard than Zwift, but if you lose the draft you have to push much harder, and those changes happen more quickly on RGT. Start paying attention to exactly who is in front of you, and any time you end up in the wind, step on the pedals. Also, when you do push to move around someone, your avatar will go to the side that is more open (the outside of the group) and unlike Zwift, it takes more power to move up the outside in the wind.

For the start:
start pedaling sooner. Seems to me like RGT averages your power for the last 5 seconds before the flag drops whereas Zwift picks up at the flag drop. I normally pick my spin up about 7 seconds from the start

RGT changed the setting in the last update to stop the auto braking applying at the start of the race , i think it kicks back in after 1 min

Top Bottom