RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I’ll say this Keith. Something happened during the race that gave me a good chuckle.

After I got dumped out of the front pack I went into a ‘bit’ of a sulk. I didn’t even notice it was you that overtook me until after you were past me to be honest. Life was big big old bitter pill, that I was struggling to swallow. Then kipster came flying past me in a group of 4 or so and I thought, ‘well I might as well jump in with them!’. So I’m in the group now, and we’re all going along fine. Then we get to this hill. I put in a bit of a dig and I drop everyone else apart from one guy. I must be just ahead of him when we get to the summit. But by this point I have sweat dripping off of me as you do. A bit of sweat must of come from my forehead and landed right on the phone screen. which is sat in front of my handlebars. Because the next thing I know, I’m giving this guy the ‘see ya later’ wave. Well, all I can say was it was like a red rag to a bull. Because he put his foot down and disappeared off my screen in front of me in about 5 seconds flat!

I have to say it cheered me right up :laugh:

I will persevere mate. I’ve treated all the cycling apps like computer games rather than expecting them to replicate cycling to the letter. So it’s not the end of the world. I was just surprised by the way the group works together. I think they have some work to do there.
Don’t think it will ever be just like the real world and I know it’s different to Zwift with auto braking but I do hope you give it a few goes - maybe a meet up sort of ride where the massive group doesn’t happen will show you a different side
I know if you were to do the lighthouse ride with only a few , it would feel better - maybe better than Zwift as there is more to think about going round corners and down hill

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Don’t think it will ever be just like the real world and I know it’s different to Zwift with auto braking but I do hope you give it a few goes - maybe a meet up sort of ride where the massive group doesn’t happen will show you a different side
I know if you were to do the lighthouse ride with only a few , it would feel better - maybe better than Zwift as there is more to think about going round corners and down hill

I think maybe you took what I said the wrong way mate. Or more likely I didn’t explain what I meant well. It’s not that I care if it’s close to ‘the real world’. It’s more that I wonder if by trying to make it more like the real world, it might be their undoing. Just seeing how the big groups kind of get flung about as the auto break kicks in. It’ll be interesting to see if they find a way of smoothing that out.

I’m also slightly dubious about some of the power numbers I saw if I’m honest. But hey ho! I’ll definitely persevere. These are just first impressions after all. And like I said before I just treat al if these platforms as computer games. ultimately. There are so many aspects of all these apps that bare no resemblance to reality it just comes down to personal preference doesn’t it.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Power numbers could be compared to power meter ? Think my W/kg has gone up a little but I put that down to having to work downhill and I think that is much the same for many , if that’s the same for everybody then that can only be a good thing
Just watched 👆that video and interesting what they were saying about check braking - was a little suspicious on one stage of tdm when 3 of us were riding and a rival with the same flag as others was up the road a bit - but put that down to my usual paranoia
Also I am guessing on the ttt me being under par only just keeping up then accidentally poking nose infront with no increase of power , that I actually slowed us down for which I do apologise

<Tommy>

Power numbers could be compared to power meter ? Think my W/kg has gone up a little but I put that down to having to work downhill and I think that is much the same for many , if that’s the same for everybody then that can only be a good thing

Don’t know about that. I was referring to just looking at peoples w/kg as I was going along. Watching someone put out 7 or 8w/kg for long stints is quite surprising to me. You don’t see those numbers in A category on zwift without alarm bells going off so 🤷‍♂️

Again, if it’s the same for everyone it’s something I’ll get used to.

peterob

Veteran
Had my first experience last night of an RGT race.

With it being an uphill race I didn't get to experience the group dynamics or auto-braking aspects. I actually found that it felt harder than Zwift, although my overall W/Kg were on a par with what I usually get.

Couple of queries someone may be able to help with....
1) My W/Kg figures next to my name in the rider list would often turn red. I thought this meant that I was putting out watts when I didn't need to, but it occurred when I was riding on my own uphill. What does that mean?
2) My avatar's legs were not turning, so it looked like I was 'floating'. Considering this was me, going up a hill, it looked very odd. I didn't have a cadence meter connected, but when pootling about my legs have always previously turned. @keithaitch - you saw me on the road, did it look like I was actually pedalling as you flew by?

Last edited:

<Tommy>

I actually found that it felt harder than Zwift, although my overall W/Kg were on a par with what I usually get.

Did you change the difficulty setting Pete? I did and I think because I’m so used to having it set to the same level on zwift (around 30%). Having it set to around 70% on rgt meant that my gearing ratios were all slightly different if that makes sense.

OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran

With it being an uphill race I didn't get to experience the group dynamics or auto-braking aspects. I actually found that it felt harder than Zwift, although my overall W/Kg were on a par with what I usually get.

Couple of queries someone may be able to help with....
1) My W/Kg figures next to my name in the rider list would often turn red. I thought this meant that I was putting out watts when I didn't need to, but it occurred when I was riding on my own uphill. What does that mean?
2) My avatar's legs were not turning, so it looked like I was 'floating'. Considering this was me, going up a hill, it looked very odd. I didn't have a cadence meter connected, but when pootling about my legs have always previously turned. @keithaitch - you saw me on the road, did it look like I was actually pedalling as you flew by?
If I can overtake you you can't have been pedalling.
I've had the same, looks like you are freewheeling but you're not. The key is the watts indicator, to left, if it goes red ease up, but just a bit, too much and the watts will go to zero. This is especially true in corners, keep the pedals y turning so you can put down the power on the exit to corners. If the number is white, irrespective of what your avitar is doing you are producing power.

CXRAndy

Guru
Professional riders only put out 6-6.7 W/kg and thats on climbs.

I watched Cameron Jeffers, Ed Laverack and co do a WRTL TTT. Their stint in the front was to do 6-6.2W/kg for 30-45secs.

Anyone doing anything 6+ for a sustained period is either weight doping or is the next TDF, Giro and Vuelta champion.

AndyMacca

Don’t know about that. I was referring to just looking at peoples w/kg as I was going along. Watching someone put out 7 or 8w/kg for long stints is quite surprising to me. You don’t see those numbers in A category on zwift without alarm bells going off so 🤷‍♂️

Again, if it’s the same for everyone it’s something I’ll get used to.
Yes the Lopez character from Tuesday's 'Wave to the goats' was into the 7's for minutes. His average for the race was nearly 6 which is seriously impressive or more likely BS
383w @ 127BPM - Wout couldn't do that, I expect it's being doubled. Single/Dual pedal issue maybe.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4648182477
http://rgtdb.com/events/46017
IRL
https://www.strava.com/activities/3716461210

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru
Hey guys, Zwift if my main platform but have used RGT a little in the past - seems to be building a reputation for racing and community involvement which can only be a good thing. I'll maybe dip my toe in it a bit over the next month and see what i make of the physics.

Probably not cancelling zwift anytime soon, but watching with interest

<Tommy>

Yes the Lopez character from Tuesday's 'Wave to the goats' was into the 7's for minutes. His average for the race was nearly 6 which is seriously impressive or more likely BS
383w @ 127BPM - Wout couldn't do that, I expect it's being doubled. Single/Dual pedal issue maybe.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4648182477
http://rgtdb.com/events/46017
IRL
https://www.strava.com/activities/3716461210

Yeah I’m not sure I’d make the assumption @CXRAndy made. I mean it could be that Andy. Or it could be as you suggested Andymacca that it’s dodgy pm readings. Or maybe something rgt related I guess.

Top Bottom