Rheumatoid Arthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do Roadrash very simalar symptons, and kills my taste for a day or two,why last week i had steps pn my cd.:tongue:

I just hope listening to steps isnt a side effect :headshake:

i certainly do know what you mean by normal , ive bought myself a pair of bibshorts , hope im not being too optimistic :thumbsup:, im having blood test on a weekly basis for now i presume that covers liver function aswel, do you mind if i ask ,has it cleared or is it just more managable.

[QUOTE 2647922, member: 259"]It's completely cleared for the moment, and it generally cuts it right back. I suffer mainly from P on my hands and feet and at it's worst I can't ride or run at all, at the minute Ifeel like I could take on a triathlon - but I'm not that daft;)

Good luck and I bet you've got good reason to be optimistic![/quote]

thanks mort,maybe light at the end of the tunnel , hope you stay clear:thumbsup:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Methotrexate on its own was the second treatment I was given. It did nothing for the arthritis, but did have a noticeable effect on the psoriasis, where some of the patches disappeared and the others reduced. For two days every week the methotrexate made me feel tired, sick and alterted my taste to the point that I could only eat fried or sweet food. It was basically a 2 day hangover without the headache or the pleasant pre-effects. On the plus side I felt a lot better generally, which I put down to the drastic cut in alcohol comsumption which I was told was necessary.

I'm on methotrexate again now, and have been for 5 years, because you have to take it with enbrel, the anti-tnf drug which I'm also on. I must have developed some sort of tolerance to it, because second time time around I've never experienced anything like the same side effects. Most weeks I don't notice at all, occasionally I feel a bit tired or get the munchies but that's about it.

Woody5110

Regular
That's really interesting I didn't know you could use MTX to get rid of Psoriasis I thought it was just for the Arthritis. The only thing that reduces mine a bit is sunshine but soon as I'm back from hols abroad it's back again. I have tried everything to no gain. :sad:

lesley_x

Über Member
I have a condition in the same family (sjogren's syndrome) and it causes havoc with my joints. Right now I need to take 30mg dhc and 1g paracetamol to walk the dog for an hour! It's not like rheumatoid arthritis where it damages and erodes the joints though, so they're two totally different beasts.

As no stranger to chronic illness, keeping active and not lying down to the disease is one of the hardest but most important things to get your head around.

I'm a bit of a bugger though and when my joints play up I'll neck painkillers and keep going. Not sure what the rheumatologist would make of that :whistle:

compo

Veteran
I have had osteo-arthritis in my hips and knees for years and cycling is far better than pain killers to keep me mobile and reduce pain. I certainly know the difference when I don't ride for a couple of weeks. I dread what will happen when I can no longer ride.

Worse still I have recently developed some deformation and swelling in my finger and knuckle joints, coupled with trigger finger. This thread caught my eye as I am going to see my doctor this morning about it. I am wondering if I am developing rheumatoid arthritis, especially in the light that my sister, three years older than me, had to have several knuckle and finger joints replaced a few years ago because of RA.

Must be the joys of getting old :smile:

I went to the doctor who has ordered blood tests and sent me off for X-rays on my hands and fingers. I had the X-rays last night and the blood tests next week so wont know anything definite for a couple of weeks.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I went to the doctor who has ordered blood tests and sent me off for X-rays on my hands and fingers. I had the X-rays last night and the blood tests next week so wont know anything definite for a couple of weeks.
I hope it all turns out well for you.

OP
OP
downesy

downesy

Veteran
At last! went for my first ride today ( only 2mile ) around the village, in nearly 3 months.
It felt great to be back in the saddle,and so far no ill effects from the rheumatism.
I will try and build up week by week, then hopfully get back on the commute.
It seems( touch wood ) things may just be ok :-)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Do any of you take methatrexate . i was started on it a few weeks ago , i take 3 tablets once a week, im finding it completely floors me for 48 hours , like a really bad flu achy feeling,but fine after 2 days,be interested to know if it affects others, or maybe it could be an interaction with any of my other meds.i will ofcourse be asking my doc about on my next visit, but just wondered .
I do, together with hydroxychloroquine. I was diagnosed a year ago last April when I was in a very sorry state indeed. My wrists elbows, shoulders and knees all hurt like hell and I had to think really hard about crouching down to get stuff from low cupboards. I could barely get out of the car either. Anyway, I went to Charing Cross Hospital and they gave me a steroid jab in the bum which had a most miraculous effect. Unfortunately, they were only prepared to give me one and subsequently put me on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, ramping up the MTX dose over about eight weeks.
Due to the fact that MTX can damage your liver, I had blood tests everytime my prescription was repeated. I have been absolutely fine as regards side-effects, and am almost entirely pain free. Every now and then my right wrist aches a bit, but nothing that would stop me doing anything. I nip in for a blood test every two months now, and go back for an outpatients appointment every six months. They are really quite pleased with progress and are slowly reducing my MTX dose from 20mg once per week. It hasn't affected my cycling at all. I'm still rubbish.

All the best to you and downsey

compo

Veteran

All results now in. Thankfully no RA. I do have osteoarthritis in a number of finger joints and some deformation of some of the fingers. I also have trigger finger in three fingers, two on one hand and one on the other. These are very painful, worse than the arthritis. I am having cortisone injections shortly. Previously these have removed the triggering completely even if the injection are flipping painful! It'll be one hand one week and the other a couple of weeks later. Longer term I will just have to see what transpires.

blamelouis

Über Member
I do, together with hydroxychloroquine. I was diagnosed a year ago last April when I was in a very sorry state indeed. My wrists elbows, shoulders and knees all hurt like hell and I had to think really hard about crouching down to get stuff from low cupboards. I could barely get out of the car either. Anyway, I went to Charing Cross Hospital and they gave me a steroid jab in the bum which had a most miraculous effect. Unfortunately, they were only prepared to give me one and subsequently put me on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, ramping up the MTX dose over about eight weeks.
Due to the fact that MTX can damage your liver, I had blood tests everytime my prescription was repeated. I have been absolutely fine as regards side-effects, and am almost entirely pain free. Every now and then my right wrist aches a bit, but nothing that would stop me doing anything. I nip in for a blood test every two months now, and go back for an outpatients appointment every six months. They are really quite pleased with progress and are slowly reducing my MTX dose from 20mg once per week. It hasn't affected my cycling at all. I'm still rubbish.

All the best to you and downsey

Just been diagnosed myself with widespread RA not looking forward to it.
Be good to hear some good news stories.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My story is similar to blamelouis. I am on 200mg Methotrexate weekly with Hydroxychloroquine now being reduced to 200mg daily.This plus folic acid 6 days per week and B12 injection every 12 weeks. Now blood test every 10 weeks for liver,kidney function etc.Before this about 2 years ago I could not use thumbshifters to change gear which I can now. I cannot walk far due to spinal stenosis but I can cycle fortunately and this is about the only thing keeping me saneish.

lutonloony

Über Member
Have ben diagnosed with RA for 10 years now. Am on third change of drugs (methotrexate made me feel like sh*it), now on Leflunomide. Occasional flare up , but couple of diclofenac take care of it. In the main cycling no probs (wrists get a bit achy sometimes) Stangely enough, have got a little touch of gout in left big toe. sideways twist to unclip is agony, but normal cycling OK

Top Bottom