Rheumatoid Arthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
Still on sulfasalazine 2500mg a day rheumy says its working but im constantly sore not really painful but i know its there.
Might try diet changes quite a few people have got great results from sugar free dairy free and gluten free.
Apparently tomatoes are bad?.

blamelouis

Über Member
Some say potatoes tomatoes and peppers...which are apparently nightshade vegetables are to be avoided.
I havent noticed any difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rheumatologist believes I possibly have early inflammatory arthritis (presumably RA as I don't have psoriasis) developing, just waiting to see him again for FBC, ESR and CRP results (and to see if the CT scan I had showed anything other than degeneration in my left foot). I've got stiff shoulders, bursitis in both hips, a sore right wrist and generally stiff, achy and knackered (probably as I'm not sleeping well and have mild anaemia). I've got degeneration in my foot, for which I've just had a steroid injection after continually increasing pain walking and at rest. Knees are a bit sore but they have wear and tear already. Weirdly I also seem hypersensitive

I'm taking a second course of oral prednisolone, also Celebrex and pregabalin, plus vit d and fish oil capsules. Still symptomatic and he's suggested methotrexate might be needed in future. GP has given me tramadol to help with nighttime pain and sleep which I take occasionally when I just need sleep

Like some posters above I don't really get the pain while cycling, which is good and I've been doing about hundred miles a week

Other than taking the meds, trying to stay active, I also need to drop a fair few kgs :whistle:, does anyone have any tips to manage the pain and the fatigue. I feel pretty worn out, I put it down to work and cycling, but it seems a typical RA symptom. Physio? Hydrotherapy?

Thanks for any thoughts :smile:

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for five years now and it has kept the RA at bay. I was put on 20mg per week of methotrexate to begin with but that was reduced to 15mg about three and a half years ago. I still have to take a blood test every couple of months or so before they will renew to prescription for methotrexate. I'm also supposed to have eye tests every couple of years because hydroxychloroquine can damage your eyesight. So far, I've been free of side effects and my annual visits to the consultant have gone very well. Of course, it could all go belly up at any time but I've been very lucky so far.

lutonloony

Über Member
I think the fatigue is a result of the pain. If I have a flair up I don't sleep .Mrs LL always knows if I am in pain because I become a real arse ( more than usual!) Metharexate made me feel awful, but I am on lafludomide, but many peeps find it fine. I also have Diclofenacs as back ups. My rhuemy podiatrist also diagnosed me as having gout!

lutonloony

Über Member
I hope everyones doing well .
I keep forgetting about this thread.
Latest update. Allopurinol seems to be holding gout at bay although TBH I probably only get an episode every 4 months, so may be a long term wait and see. RA to n the main seems under control. Had a steroid injection in right ankle as one of the tendon sheaths was very inflamed, causing much probs when cycling. Don't know if I need to declare my drug use and get an exemption form before gong on Sunday club runs :smile:
Hope all others doing well

lutonloony

Über Member
As an aside, does anybody take, turmeric and or ginger. Have heard of their bebifits, but not sure given the amount of drugs I'm banging in I would notice any benefit , and not willing to drop them all on the chance the natural meds would work, guess they couldn't do any harm though

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I being tested for some pretty grim auto immune diseases. Blood tests due back Thursday (its been a long ten days I can tell you) Although my major symptoms are sinus and respiratory I am now getting swelling of all my bendy joints and redness over all my joints which Dr Google suggest is a sign on Rheumatoid Arthritis? Pretty stiff everywhere too.

lutonloony

Über Member
I being tested for some pretty grim auto immune diseases. Blood tests due back Thursday (its been a long ten days I can tell you) Although my major symptoms are sinus and respiratory I am now getting swelling of all my bendy joints and redness over all my joints which Dr Google suggest is a sign on Rheumatoid Arthritis? Pretty stiff everywhere too.
Even before my drugs I use to get major flair up of arthritis mostly in one joint at a time. If you really have RA in all at once I feel your pain, and hope they get on it ASAP

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Even before my drugs I use to get major flair up of arthritis mostly in one joint at a time. If you really have RA in all at once I feel your pain, and hope they get on it ASAP
Feet toes ankles knees fingers and elbows literally blush red over the joints minor swelling most bizarre thing I have seen I was only asked 2 weeks ago if I had this symptom and I didn't Only stiff, feels like been down the Gym the redness was the worry really. Hope to find all my blood tests were negative to be honest and go on from there.

Top Bottom