Rheumatoid Arthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been diagnosed with this bugger. Two weeks into treatment and touch wood some sort of remission, in 2/4 months.
My consultant is adamant i will be able to carry on cycling in time i believe him,( i have to).
So what i want to know does anyone have any experiance, of cycling with rhuematoid arthritis

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Not rheumatoid arthritis but psoriatic arthritis, which is also an auto immune condition.
I had to give up playing football because of the state of the joints in my toes and a sore hip. After sitting around getting fat and feeling sorry for myself I bought a new bike and decided to try to wear my joints out before they self-destructed. Due to the state of my wrists and hands at the time I couldn't work the brakes on drop bars so got a spesh Sirrus. Once my fitness returned I found that when my hip was playing up a 30 mile ride did far more good than any amount of pain killers.
After a lack of lasting response to 3 different drugs I was put on anti-tnf treatment, which is still working 5 years later. Due to the expense of the stuff that works they always try you on the cheap stuff first, which does work for some people, then move on to anti-tnf if no response. The treatment I'm on now apparently costs £10k a year.
Once the hands started working again I bought a Roubaix. I had to get a bike that's tall at the front because damage to my neck makes it sore to lift my head up from a low position. I have to get bigger shoes to give room for my toes, which have fused joints and stick up at odd angles, then wear two pairs of socks to stop the shoes falling off. Apart from that arthritis has not affected my cycling. On the plus side I'm fitter and two stones lighter than I was 30 years ago.

OP
OP
downesy

downesy

Veteran
Thanks for the reply, hopfully i can follow your tracks and keep cycling. I have pretty much accepted i wont manage my usual 5 day commute, but knowing your still out there putting in the miles, is agreat fillip thanks.

compo

Veteran
I have had osteo-arthritis in my hips and knees for years and cycling is far better than pain killers to keep me mobile and reduce pain. I certainly know the difference when I don't ride for a couple of weeks. I dread what will happen when I can no longer ride.

Worse still I have recently developed some deformation and swelling in my finger and knuckle joints, coupled with trigger finger. This thread caught my eye as I am going to see my doctor this morning about it. I am wondering if I am developing rheumatoid arthritis, especially in the light that my sister, three years older than me, had to have several knuckle and finger joints replaced a few years ago because of RA.

Must be the joys of getting old :smile:

Woody5110

Regular
I also have Psoriatic Arthritis in my knee and hip and find that cycling eases any pain I have. (Mainly in the morning and when it's cold). Don't let it grind you down and keep going.

OP
OP
downesy

downesy

Veteran
Thanks Woody i fully intend to,sadly due to illness and the time it took to get sorted out, i lost 2'5 stone.

I will need to build up weight and muscle first, at least i get carte blanch cake& trifle.:-)

Woody5110

Regular
I didn't cycle before I was diagnosed but thought I would give it a go. I got a bike from the Cycle to Work scheme and a turbo trainer and built my base fitness up on that. ( I had to I got the bike in October).

Do any of you take methatrexate . i was started on it a few weeks ago , i take 3 tablets once a week, im finding it completely floors me for 48 hours , like a really bad flu achy feeling,but fine after 2 days,be interested to know if it affects others, or maybe it could be an interaction with any of my other meds.i will ofcourse be asking my doc about on my next visit, but just wondered .

OP
OP
downesy

downesy

Veteran
I have cycled pretty much all my life, and for the last 5 years have done the 20 mile round commute pretty much daily.
It may sound melo-dramatic but cycling is a huge part of my life, and the thought of loosing the hobby i love was a dagger to my heart.
Thankfully it seems it's a fear i need not have, posts from yourself and others above have really lifted me, and i thank youall for that

Woody5110

Regular
I have cycled pretty much all my life, and for the last 5 years have done the 20 mile round commute pretty much daily.
It may sound melo-dramatic but cycling is a huge part of my life, and the thought of loosing the hobby i love was a dagger to my heart.
Thankfully it seems it's a fear i need not have, posts from yourself and others above have really lifted me, and i thank youall for that
I commute as much as I can 12 miles each way and I do this 3 times a week and regularly do 30+ miles on a weekend. Keep positive and you will be fine I was the same when I was diagnosed you always think the worst. Cycling will help.

[QUOTE 2647779, member: 259"]Yes I do. Double that dose every weekend for psoriasis. I did get used to it, but it's pretty harsh medicine and it's the only things that really works for my psoriasis. I will have to stop taking it soon, as you're not able to stay on it permanently due to risks to liver etc.[/quote]

its psoriasis ive been given it for ,only asked here as i know its used for arthritis also, im only on my third week , up to 4 tablets next week and week after ,then back to dermatologist how do you find it works for psoriasis , ive tried every cream known to man ,4 seporate bouts of light therapy and acitretin ,but ive heard good things abot mtx (minus the side effects obviouly)

sorry to hijack the thread @downesy

Top Bottom