Rhubarb raised bed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
Staying at Southport a couple of years ago I had a walk to Hesketh bank. wondered what all the meshed over rows were. The ones i looked at were, I thought, spring greens. Presumably to stop the cabbage white.

PK99

Legendary Member
When you say the moss I'm right in thinking you mean what I'd refer to as the Lancashire mosses - Tarleton, Banks, Burscough etc?

The potatoes are being sprayed off, probably with glyphosate, to aid or ease harvesting. Two points here. First killing off the top growth simply clears the soil so machinery can easily pass over. The second could be to control growth for one of two reasons - the tubers have reached the required size or there is no market. Either way the tubers will stop developing/increasing in size.

The tubers are unaffected because glyphosate is a contact herbicide. There are five types of herbicide, contact, residual, selective, non-selective and systemic. Contact herbicides basically kill whatever they land on. Systemic herbicides are absorbed by the plant and attack all areas from within. Residual sit in the soil for months. While selective and non-selective either target specific plant types - broadleaf weeds for example - or kill everything in sight!!

There is evidence glyphosate used in this manner is allowing it to enter the food chain.

Eh?

Glyphosate is a SYSTEMIC herbicide.

I can't work out how my circular rides are always into the wind. The winds blow in here uninterrupted from USA. It's sometimes a relief to go to Rivington and hills, at least there is some shelter.

Speaking of which we shall be past your front door tomorrow morning. What time is coffee?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Eh?

Glyphosate is a SYSTEMIC herbicide.
Yes, you're quite right. For some bizarre reason, and I can't think why, I had Paraquat, Gramoxone, in mind when I wrote the above. A product one would not want to be close to.

Can't explain it, I just did. Must be an age thing!

midlife

Guru
When I was a lad they stored potatoes in clamps next to the fields, do they still do that?

Are you sure? That’s a new one for me.
Well it looks like sugar beet, but I've never tasted it! They feed it to sheep that they put on the fields in winter. It is stored between rows of hay bales.
They also feed the sheep reject cabbage leaves. Presumably the sheep are there to enrich the soil. They disappear in spring, after lambs have grown. Then the arable/cereal crops go in.

Top Bottom