Ribble Bikebuilder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Ribble are crap.

I used it before Christmas. A lot of things on the bike builder weren't in stock despite being in the bike builder. The bike took much, much longer to arrive than they suggested.

Things may have changed since, maybe.....:ohmy:

Hmmm. I've not been overly impressed.

It was the winter audaux bike I bought, with the base campag stuff and some fulcrum 7 wheels. The rear mech needed replaced early on, yes it was mucky on the roads, but it surely should have coped. The mudguards need readjusting every so often to avoid tyre rub, and I think I may need to have a look at the rear freehub and it slips every once in a while. These may of course be component issues rather than anything wrong with Ribble.

What I will say about the frame though, is the paint chips very easily. I have three chips on the top tube (no idea how I got them). In comparing it with my Kinesis Tk, it certainly lacks it's 'get up and go'

However, for the money, it was probably good value (ignoring the individual component failures), and it certainly fills the roll of a winter hack.

Would I buy from Ribble again though? No.

Which one are you looking at Noodley?

e-rider

crappy member
I've used the bike builder many times but never actually bought the bikes I've built - just dreaming really. I owned a Ribble 653 in the 1990s and it wasn't that great. Everyones knows that Ribble as a company are a bit crap and their customer service is non-existant.

Ribble frames are cheap so either they are built on the cheap (ie. low quality) or ribble are feeling kind and selling them for a smaller profit than other companies take - I could only guess which one it is!!!

My advice is: however great the bikes are, and however cheap they are selling them; I'd never shop with ribble again!

iendicott

I pondered buying a Ribble for a few months, then a saw a few photos on here and decided not to, I think the frames are OK as Dolan and Condor use the same company that Ribble buy their frames from (Dedacciai or Deda for short) but the finish is totally not brilliant and I have heard this a number of times.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think a blue Ribble winter bike is a bit of a fashion thing.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

magnatom said:
Which one are you looking at Noodley?

Carbon Deda TT, just weighing up the pros and cons...I have reservations but I am not too concerned re delays in delivery time.

They must be doing something right as there seems to be Ribble bikes all over the place! I suppose I am hoping it's the bad experiences which are reported and the loads of other happy customers don't post happy posts!

My experiences to date with Ribble have mostly been very positive but it's a lot of money involved.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've built some beauties using the site but I've never hit the 'buy this bike' button at the end.

I persuaded a collegue to get a Ribble last year and the aggro and delays made me feel quite bad for suggesting it - all this was forgotten (in time) when he got the bike though.

Gone off the Planet X then?

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

threebikesmcginty said:
Gone off the Planet X then?

Planet X never seem to have the components in stock and are more expensive than Ribble....and not available in Campag; all my other bikes are Campag so I can't see the point of having something else on any new bike I get.

I'll hum and haw a while longer....

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Noodley said:
Planet X never seem to have the components in stock and are more expensive than Ribble....

I'll hum and haw a while longer....

The stock was a problem when I bought one last year - I rang them and got them to add some stuff that was in stock so I could order. Got the bike within a week too! ;)

Top Bottom